Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: please help me with my setup.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default please help me with my setup.

Hi guys, im trying to set up switching for my lights on my scaler.

i found a few examples of using a cheap esc to power lights via the motor output and by tweaking the endpoints to control voltage.

i have a turnigy 9x with its matching rx (hobbyking) and my HSP ESCs work fine on it, no problem there.

the problem becomes when i try and use my MiniQLO ESC on the switched channel, like making the gear go up or down.

it works fine on the regular channels, like say, throttle. turn on the rx, turn on the TX and it loads up and sings its song. and if once its connected i swap channels it still works and does what i want it to.

but, its when i plug it into (ch6 allocated to the gear) and fresh start:
TX on,
ESC on,
MiniQLO ESC on, it wont load up, like its looking for a signal. i even tried leaving it for a moment thinking it might take slightly longer. but still not until i change which channel its on, that it connects to the TX.

is there a better way for running lights? or is this going to be an issue ill have to work around?

i thought about using the circuit board out of a servo, but not sure if it will give me 6v?? any ideas?

second half of my inquiry, based on the same topic. my head/hibeam/spotlight circuit is 14.4v, i had planned to run it via a 6v relay that was also switched via the RX, but since actually researching it, seems im going to need to do it a different way as the output is PWM?? not an variable voltage like i thought.

please help! this is the first time ive even played with my 9x and the learning curve is quite steep!
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-2012, 02:19 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: please help me with my setup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
Hi guys, im trying to set up switching for my lights on my scaler.

i found a few examples of using a cheap esc to power lights via the motor output and by tweaking the endpoints to control voltage.

i have a turnigy 9x with its matching rx (hobbyking) and my HSP ESCs work fine on it, no problem there.

the problem becomes when i try and use my MiniQLO ESC on the switched channel, like making the gear go up or down.

it works fine on the regular channels, like say, throttle. turn on the rx, turn on the TX and it loads up and sings its song. and if once its connected i swap channels it still works and does what i want it to.

but, its when i plug it into (ch6 allocated to the gear) and fresh start:
TX on,
ESC on,
MiniQLO ESC on, it wont load up, like its looking for a signal. i even tried leaving it for a moment thinking it might take slightly longer. but still not until i change which channel its on, that it connects to the TX.

is there a better way for running lights? or is this going to be an issue ill have to work around?

i thought about using the circuit board out of a servo, but not sure if it will give me 6v?? any ideas?

second half of my inquiry, based on the same topic. my head/hibeam/spotlight circuit is 14.4v, i had planned to run it via a 6v relay that was also switched via the RX, but since actually researching it, seems im going to need to do it a different way as the output is PWM?? not an variable voltage like i thought.

please help! this is the first time ive even played with my 9x and the learning curve is quite steep!

I'm not familiar with your radio, but I have lights on a switch on my 4pks. I use a servo board. It will pass 6v to the lights. It took a little playing around to find the 'sweet spot' on the pot. Once I found that I CAed the pot in place, set a switch on the tx to 2 position and have on\off from the radio.

Here is a little vid of when I first got it working.

DickyT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #3
RCC Addict

does anyone know if a micro servo servo will have the same voltage going to the motor as a 1/10 size servo?
Old 06-14-2012, 10:14 PM   #4
Got Worms?

Heyok sells a rx controlled switch...

Here it is

Remote Switch For LED Lighting

Last edited by losikid; 06-14-2012 at 10:16 PM.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
RCC Addict

i saw those, and altho yes, theyre very nice, i was trying to get out of it using parts i already have. if it comes to the crunch and i cant work it with either a servo board, or an esc, then ill get myself one of his switches.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:14 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

I know you want to try and use the parts you already have, but give this one a look - you can run your higher voltage lights as well as your low voltage stuff:

4 Position Dual Powered Dual RC Switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by losikid View Post
Heyok sells a rx controlled switch...

Here it is

Remote Switch For LED Lighting
Thanks for the mention!
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 04:15 PM   #7
RCC Addict

thanks heyok. they were the ones i was looking at.

Yesterday i pulled an old micro servo to bits and was successful with it so just gotta do the same to a second one and im set.

Thanks for your input.
Old 06-16-2012, 07:22 AM   #8
RCC Addict

so can anyone tell me why the ESC wouldnt find the signal when on the switched channel? but would on the other channels?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
so can anyone tell me why the ESC wouldnt find the signal when on the switched channel? but would on the other channels?
I think that the ESC is looking for a "Neutral" signal before it will arm.
My Castle stuff will just sit there waiting for a calibration if it feels that the servo signal is too far from the center position when it powers up.

Maybe you could get this to work if you adjust the end point of this two position channel so that the ESC sees the servo signal in the middle of its range when you power it up.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 07:34 AM   #10
RCC Addict

hmmmm thats a really good point actually. perhaps ill have a look into that one. ill let you know what i come up with, if it works.

please help me with my setup. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is my setup right? CKRC Stage 2 setup - front axle castor Miller Time Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 03-01-2008 12:54 PM
Clod axle setup VS Shaft setup jrscycle Newbie General 6 12-21-2005 09:21 AM