Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: novak mongoose esc getting hot

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 12:54 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default novak mongoose esc getting hot

i have a mongoose 18.5 using 2s lipo. i ordered a nano-tech 470mAh 3s and pluged in and it started to heat up. from the novak site it says its 3s compatable. i only did one quick trigger pull and was supprised at the speed difference but heat id too much. do i need to set it up for 3s through the programing, would this cause the problem.

Built-in 2S & 3S Li-Po Cut-off Circuitry (can be activated in any of the throttle profile
Input Voltage: 2-3 Li-Poly cells or 4-9 Ni-MH/Ni-Cd cells (1.2V/cell)

thanks for the help
EricTheRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-15-2012, 01:06 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: novak mongoose esc getting hot

IIRC, you dont have to change anything on the ESC to run a 3S. At least mine never did.....but then, it did end it's life in a big ball of flames.

Here's the programming instructions:
http://www.teamnovak.com/products/br...gprogsheet.pdf
JeremyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

OK, I did all the programing an checked an double checked an triple checked.. programmed everything I could an I still can't get the darn esc to let me switch it to 3s.. blinks once an blinks twice for 2s, it will not blink for 3s.. what's the deal with this thing! Any tricks? Am I missing something? Also, the esc got hot or warm, just, during setup.. normal?
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Not sure if it's normal or not but that didn't happen to me also one blink or two blink for Lipo cut off cannot get into 3s cut off and yes it did get warm
EricTheRitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 05:22 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

So be it I guess... I had some 2s so ran them.. works good but not like 3s... no jumping gaps now. :(
Old 08-31-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnerone23 View Post
OK, I did all the programing an checked an double checked an triple checked.. programmed everything I could an I still can't get the darn esc to let me switch it to 3s.. blinks once an blinks twice for 2s, it will not blink for 3s.. what's the deal with this thing! Any tricks? Am I missing something? Also, the esc got hot or warm, just, during setup.. normal?
The best trick with anything Novak is this: First make sure all your solder joints are good. The make sure your gear mesh is right. Too tight and it will have problems, too loose and it will not go anywhere. Also make sure your batteries are up to spec. I like at least 30c. And the last and final thing every Novak product needs is this. Get a rather large trash can. Too small and you will miss. Grab you trash can, get at least 25 feet away and throw any and all Novak products into it. If you miss, you have to start over. Once all your Novak products are inside said large trash can you can smile and know that they are exactly where they belong.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
The best trick with anything Novak is this: First make sure all your solder joints are good. The make sure your gear mesh is right. Too tight and it will have problems, too loose and it will not go anywhere. Also make sure your batteries are up to spec. I like at least 30c. And the last and final thing every Novak product needs is this. Get a rather large trash can. Too small and you will miss. Grab you trash can, get at least 25 feet away and throw any and all Novak products into it. If you miss, you have to start over. Once all your Novak products are inside said large trash can you can smile and know that they are exactly where they belong.
I love my Novak in my 12th & 10th pan cars as well as 10th dirt rigs.....only had 1 crawler Novak (M2 dig).....not impressed.....don't own it anymore....
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Lmfao! Well all soldered joints are factory.. gear mesh is perfect.. 2s batteries are over 30c, 3s are 25c or over.. only thing I'm missing is the trash can! Tho I feel that way bout the CC stuff I have had.. 3 esc an 4bec between a fellow crawler an myself..
Old 07-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Old thread revival, but it's right on topic. I've had my Novak Mongoose system for about 2 years and I use 60C or higher 2S and 3S batteries with my Losi MRC. I have the Novak fan on the ESC, given I was getting thermal shutdown occasionally on 2S and frequently on 3S. Fan makes little difference, it just means I get another 10 seconds on 3S before it shuts off. Very frustrating!

For anyone reading this thread in future with the same problem, here's what I'm going to do about it:
1. forget about the water proofing feature of the ESC, I don't need it.
1b. open the ESC and remove the tiny little heatsink
2. install a bigger heatsink and fan, including a little amount of quality thermal transfer compound.
3. test and report back. Watch this space.

(If all else fails, I'll use The Violator's method. Made in America doesn't seem to do the trick in this instance - my Chinese motors and ESCs have been flawless. Bleh!)
cragv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 03:57 PM   #10

I plugged a 2s into my Novak Three80 18.5T setup the other day ( same battery I have always been using ) and after about 30 secs the motor got real hot and started smoking!
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote

novak mongoose esc getting hot - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Novak mongoose? Tgreer Electronics 0 08-28-2011 03:23 PM
Novak mongoose in a 2.2? Top_Ramen Electronics 5 08-19-2009 09:06 PM