Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 1/4 scale servo to run straight off 2s Lipo?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 12:40 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 1/4 scale servo to run straight off 2s Lipo?

OK, I'm sick of burning out servos. (Melted 1 of the 2 chips on PCB :( )
I've now got through 3. I keep robbing the good remaining chip, but I've now run out & another one has fried.

I think it's to do with the voltage dropping & then the current increasing to compensate for this & things melting.

Anyways......

Since I've already modded my axles to take 1/4 scale servos, is there a 1/4 scale servo that I can run straight off a 2S LiPo & throw the BEC in the bin.
Incidently, I went with stupid big servos to deal with my stupid big tires.

Thanks inadvance for any help.

Newth
newth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 07:17 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 1/4 scale servo to run straight off 2s Lipo?

Servo City has a few nice charts showing servos and acceptable voltage. Their prices are good to. Just pick if you want Hitec or Futaba and scroll down.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:23 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the reply. That's great.
I've been having read up & it sounds like its not uncommon for the hitecs to burn out.
I'm a little bit confused though on the servo specs. A few are stating Lipo ready, but the voltages are charted at 7.4v.
A fully charged Lipo is at a much higher voltage than that. What am I missing?
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #4
RCC Addict

You know, I ran into that issue as well and couldn't get a straight answer. I guess it's probably worth emailing customer support at the manufacturer.

What I keep seeing is that all the "LiPO ready" servos that say they run off of straight LiPO also list 7.4v for the voltage. Technically a fully charged 2S is 8.4v and that's a bit higher than 7.4. I still run a BEC to my servo and let my ESC supply power to receiver.

I know this isn't a good answer but I guess if the servo says it's direct 2s capable then it should run at that and if it burns out send it in for warranty.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

I spoke to one of the shops I use in the uk, they seem to think it'll be fine. I've sent an email to savox to see what they say. I'm currently looking at their 0236mg servo.
It's a little bit bigger than my old hitec servo & I only just managed to get onto the clod axles! So I'm not sure it's the right one to go for yet.

I just like the idea of ditching the voltage regulator which feeds my servos. Be nice to clean up my electronics & get some reliability back.

Last edited by newth; 06-18-2012 at 08:48 AM.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:51 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: 1/4 scale servo to run straight off 2S LiPO?

Quote:
Originally Posted by newth View Post
Thanks for the reply. That's great.
I've been having read up & it sounds like its not uncommon for the HiTecs to burn out.
I'm a little bit confused though on the servo specs. A few are stating LiPO ready, but the voltages are charted at 7.4v.
A fully charged LiPO is at a much higher voltage than that. What am I missing?
From what I've seen/read/heard, the spec is saying that it is OK to run off a 2S LiPO direct since the pack voltage will drop a bit quickly and then taper down to LVC. The 7.4VDC is a nominal voltage.
If you were to run off a decent external BEC, I would set it to 7.4VDC, or close to it, since the voltage should not vary much if at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
You know, I ran into that issue as well and couldn't get a straight answer. I guess it's probably worth emailing customer support at the manufacturer.

What I keep seeing is that all the "LiPO ready" servos that say they run off of straight LiPO also list 7.4v for the voltage. Technically a fully charged 2S is 8.4v and that's a bit higher than 7.4. I still run a BEC to my servo and let my ESC supply power to receiver.

I know this isn't a good answer but I guess if the servo says it's direct 2S capable then it should run at that and if it burns out send it in for warranty.
+1....also see my reply above.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

1/4 scale servo to run straight off 2s Lipo? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Straight from the horses mouth ... the LiPo cutoff mystery ended ... again. Rockfrog Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 01-28-2012 09:46 AM
2.2 scale Run for RC4x4 4th RUN kenworthit Scale Videos! 2 09-09-2011 04:18 PM
Can i run a 2s lipo on a JR DS8711 servo kingkole Electronics 1 07-17-2011 10:52 PM
servo going crazy - wants to zig zag when i wanna go straight. help please! username Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 19 01-08-2010 11:28 AM