Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushless ESC recommendation needed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 09:32 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Brushless ESC recommendation needed

I bought a creeper with a crawler master master-L in it but no controller. Never played with brushless before so I need some pointers. Not looking to spend slot.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-17-2012, 12:13 AM   #2
Suck it up!

Default Re: Brushless ESC recommendation needed

Brushlesshobbies.com
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
RCC Addict

First one on the page looks decent, I know I want usb programmability. The motor specs at 1100kv, what kind of output do I need from the esc? That one is rated at 120A, it looks like the motor can handle 440.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:10 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

Where do you get 440 from?
The Speed Passion Crawler Master L is a 23 turn Feigao FG-MBLS540L with a max amp load of 27. Speed Passion just added a sensor board to it.

Datasheet for it is available here
Datasheet for Brushless - Changsha FEIGAO Model Co., Ltd.
or direct link here.
http://img.diytrade.com/cdimg/85838/...1242961509.jpg
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:22 AM   #5
Suck it up!

Either one would probably do fine.
Old 06-17-2012, 11:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Okay, so what is the relation between turns and amperage?
Old 06-17-2012, 11:56 AM   #7
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
Okay, so what is the relation between turns and amperage?
It varies. The best thing that you can do is research the particular motors you want to use and see how they run. There is no universal number that goes across the board.
Old 06-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
OK, so what is the relation between turns and amperage?
See below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post
It varies. The best thing that you can do is research the particular motors you want to use and see how they run. There is no universal number that goes across the board.
+1.

"In general", the lower the turns the higher the amps. More power (lower turns) typically the higher the amps.
Granted, there is a difference between manufacturers and machine wound vs. hand wound.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #9
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
"In general", the lower the turns the higher the amps. More power (lower turns) typically the higher the amps.
Granted, there is a difference between manufacturers and machine wound vs. hand wound.
Yup. "In general" is a very good disclaimer. I would add "but not always" to it.
Old 06-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Cool, I will do a little more digging tomorrow, but I bet I go with that 120 amp unit. Thanks for the info.
Old 06-17-2012, 09:12 PM   #11
RCC Addict

I'm goin with the Traxxas 3s velenion system for my scx10. The Traxxas speed controller is already waterproof, and has different settings. The people who pointed me twards that said that sensored motors only eliminate coging, which the low gearing should do anyways.
Oh! And Dollarhobbyz.com under traxxas slash 4x4 vxl isa good place to get it cheap....er.

Last edited by mitchr97; 06-17-2012 at 09:19 PM.
mitchr97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:54 PM   #12
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDROX97 View Post
I'm goin with the Traxxas 3s velenion system for my scx10. The Traxxas speed controller is already waterproof, and has different settings. The people who pointed me twards that said that sensored motors only eliminate coging, which the low gearing should do anyways.
Oh! And Dollarhobbyz.com under traxxas slash 4x4 vxl isa good place to get it cheap....er.
The VXL motor is one of the coggiest ones you could possibly lay your hands on, I don't care how you gear it. They are fast and powerful and waterproof, but absolutely do not like to go slow.
Old 06-17-2012, 10:26 PM   #13
RCC Addict

i run an electronics box on this particular rig so water proof is not a requirement. I have herd some good things about this crawler master from a guy running one on his creeper, going to send him the link on this 120a unit just to get other opinion.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:35 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I have the BrushlessHobbies and the Crawlermaster motor. As the guys said, you'll never tax the 120a ESC with that motor but I'm going to use it in my Wraith. When we go to the beach I'm stuffing my Castle 1410 (3800kv 4 pole) in the Wraith for some FOFF fun!

Anyway, the speed of delivery and the support from BH has been great. I still don't have mine all the way setup but from what I've seen I like it quite a bit. Also, my Crawler Master motor (same as yours) is brand new and I've never used it so I'm not sure how performance is. With some initial bench testing I'm worried the sensor board in that motor may be bad because it doesn't seem to run any different sensored or unsensored.

I really need to get a sensored motor that is known working and see how that runs.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
I have the BrushlessHobbies and the Crawlermaster motor. As the guys said, you'll never tax the 120a ESC with that motor but I'm going to use it in my Wraith. When we go to the beach I'm stuffing my Castle 1410 (3800kv 4 pole) in the Wraith for some FOFF fun!

Anyway, the speed of delivery and the support from BH has been great. I still don't have mine all the way setup but from what I've seen I like it quite a bit. Also, my Crawler Master motor (same as yours) is brand new and I've never used it so I'm not sure how performance is. With some initial bench testing I'm worried the sensor board in that motor may be bad because it doesn't seem to run any different sensored or unsensored.

I really need to get a sensored motor that is known working and see how that runs.
are you seeing a lot of glitch? that's great to hear about this ESC, the more looking I do, the more I come back to this unit over and over again.

I posted a separate question (because it really is a separate issue) asking about adding resistance to the censor circuit by soldering it to my pass through connector on my electronics box. i am worried that will screw up the performance.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:33 AM   #16
RCC Addict

So far no glitching whatsoever and I'm testing it basically with two chassis side by side. I have the 120a esc installed in my 1/16 Traxxas right now and basically pull the esc lead out of another truck and plug it into that receiver. I should hopefully have the new receiver for that car this week and can actually drive it a bit.

I don't know if my SP motor even works properly though. I hooked it up and like I said, it seemed the same sensored and unsensored. I'm thinking it's partly due to the fact it was just on my bench and that's really not a good indication of how smooth a motor will be. I need to stick it in my Wraith, but I just finished wiring that up all nice and pretty and don't want to tear it all apart. I may just stuff the motor, esc and second receiver in so I don't have to pull it all out the water resistant box my other stuff is in

Anyway, you could probably get away with the 80a ESC, but the 120a is only $5 more and they are the same size so I opted for that. One thing, it's smaller than the current Castle Sidewinders and can actually be servo taped to the chassis where the larger ESC requires a bracket to fit properly. In the crawler this will be nice because it's smaller and you may even be able to get away with taking the fan off.

I'll have more in my review thread (here in the electronics section) as I get more into it.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:25 AM   #17
RCC Addict

I assume it does, but it's not listed on the site. does this ESC have a cut off?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #18
RCC Addict

NVM, i see that it does now. this or a used mamba for 60??? i am leaning towards Brushlesshobbies...........
Old 06-18-2012, 12:11 PM   #19
RCC Addict

I still don't know if the reverse is instant. I had mine setup wrong and it would go from forward to brake and then after a short pause go to reverse. I'm talking about less than a second, but noticeable. I think my issue is I had drag brake set to 0% in the program though. It think if drag brake is set it should show a shorter change over.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:33 PM   #20
RCC Addict

your talking Greek to me at the moment, i will have to get in a learn the programming. but i ordered it, enough people have said that this is either a good unit for where impressed by the specs. This is including the guy wanting to sell me the used the mamba, he told me i should buy this instead LOL. so I got BH 120A unit, a set of 6000Mah 2s2p Lipos from hobby king (US warehouse had them for once) and a another Eco 6 charger seeing as i just gave mine to my dad LOL. thanks again for the advice guys, i think the bronco just got a whole lot cooler.

Brushless ESC recommendation needed - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless motor recommendation arrglarks Electronics 4 06-19-2012 12:40 AM
Help needed with ESC recommendation. Andre N Electronics 7 03-02-2012 01:34 AM
Took Kit Recommendation Wanted/Needed getoutandplay Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 3 11-29-2008 08:04 AM
ESC Brushless BEST one also lipo cutoff help needed 4x4Crawler4LIFE Newbie General 20 02-26-2008 09:01 AM