Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushed motor recommendation please

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2012, 07:52 PM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default Brushed motor recommendation please

ok so i read through many threads and google itself..

my axial ax10 rtr that i just traded for has a Komodo Dragon Spec 19 motor in it... 20/87 gearing.. and it is just flat out worthless.... stock esc...

sooooo my readings are the truck came with a 27T... most people run a 35T and others 55T.....

so what would you recommend for me? i know main thing is what use you have... well i am not going to pro crawl... want to run it outside with my kids... lil speed and the up over different yard things... no massive obstacles... however i would like to occassionally if I find a nice place to crawl crawl..

now with that said.. if there is no definite way to have both worlds in 1.. im not opposed to say a 35T and 55T motor and swap out for the different occassions..

now my main reason for the thread... i see you can get motors for $20... but then people say hand wound and you will never go back... are they worth the $50 or more???

I also need a battery recommendation.. no lipo here yet.. give me time.. i have to fix slop in the truck first.. different worn out things to replace...
$20 choices -
Axial AX24007 55T Electric Motor
Axial AM27 27T 540 Electric Motor AX24004

$70
Rock Crawler Motor 35T Pro Hand Wound

$100
FX-R Rock Crawler Combo with ESC and 35t Motor
FX-R Rock Crawler Combo with ESC and 45t Motor

im going to look for the manual online as now im reading the ar-1 esc will run 2s lipo? i know nothing about lipo.. so i do need new batteries as i was given crappy ones... so if i got a lipo 2s and charger that would help too...

Last edited by RootBreaker; 06-20-2012 at 08:07 PM.
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2012, 08:20 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Brushed motor recommendation please

I just got a reccomendation from TEDBULL to try out teambrood motors. All I have ran on my scaler is 35T and am pretty pleased with the performance, but I have replaced a few motors already. I'm trying out teambrrod.com for my next trial.

good luck & happy crawl'n
z71baja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 08:30 PM   #3
I joined the Band!

thanks... so you like 35T vs 45 or 55t... ill most likely get a $20 35T to just see the performance/speed....

from what im reading it is endless...
you dont need a monstrous turn motor...

i could even get the stocker back in there.. 27T... and go 96T spur and 10t pinion for 73.85 final drive ratio... so that 27T should be able to turn it....

i dont know...
Old 06-20-2012, 08:39 PM   #4

Hi Rootbreaker. I have to qualify my answer by saying that this is my first build from scratch but like you probably have, I spent many hours reading various forums, googling etc and I've settled on Holmes Crawlmaster pro 20T. The service and communication I received from John Holmes was excellent. The 20T in the crawlmaster should be about the same speed as the torquemaster in a 40T but they are different types of motors so not really comparable side by side. I received them today and they are just a work of art. I'm sure they will do the job just fine.
sprocketfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:04 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
thanks... so you like 35T vs 45 or 55t... ill most likely get a $20 35T to just see the performance/speed...
I sort of agree here.
Get a cheap motor in the right ballpark rating to get a better opinion on what you really want.

More winds => More torque at (very) low speeds, less power consumption, low vehicle top speed.
Less winds => Less torque at low speed (require smaller pinion), higher power consumption (more heat buildup and shorter running time), higher vehicle top speed.

35T is possibly more speed than you need. I'd opt for a cheap 45T motor and when that feels insufficient get a quality motor with the number of winds that's right for you.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:47 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
I sort of agree here.
Get a cheap motor in the right ballpark rating to get a better opinion on what you really want.

More winds => More torque at (very) low speeds, less power consumption, low vehicle top speed.
Less winds => Less torque at low speed (require smaller pinion), higher power consumption (more heat buildup and shorter running time), higher vehicle top speed.

35T is possibly more speed than you need. I'd opt for a cheap 45T motor and when that feels insufficient get a quality motor with the number of winds that's right for you.
Agreed but be careful. A cheap $10-$20 etc motor does not compare to a quality HH, Brood, etc motor. They just are not nearly the same. A bicycle and a car will get you where your going but which one would you rather use? Just my 2¢

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2
Grichardson152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 06:57 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Spend the money in an FXR Combo where you get the ESC and a nice Handwound 35T motor. You will get good low en crawling and some speed. Run a 3S lipo and you will be happy with both ends. Down the road, you can look at a higher end motor. I ran the combo in a scaler and my comp truck for a year with no issues.

Down the road you can look at higher end motors and so forth.

For the price, he FXR combo is tough to beat.

55T on a 2s will not get much wheel speed.
Chi Town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
I joined the Band!

well i will get away with $20-$40 but anything over is not going to fly with the wife for now... i will get there eventually with a better motor/lipo setup...

for now just backyard fun with the kids is where it needs to be.. just trying to get this truck back in a functioning and tuned in state...
Old 06-21-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBreaker View Post
im going to look for the manual online as now im reading the ar-1 esc will run 2s lipo? i know nothing about lipo.
The AE-1 will run 2S LiPo just fine, but it has no low voltage cutoff. Drain your LiPo too low and it'll puff, smoke, and maybe even catch fire. When I run LiPo with my AE-1, I plug a low voltage alarm into the balance port, and stop when it starts beeping.

Next thing I did was to install a CC BEC and then jumped up to 3S LiPo. HUGE difference! Again, I used a LVA and stopped when it beeped.

Got sick of the delay between reverse and forawrd, installed a CC Sidewinder Micro right at the end of comp season, and haven't had time to get it dialed in yet. I like it so far, though.

I get my LiPos from ValueHobby out of IL. Low enough prices, and really low prices on charging sacks. My Onyx 230, I got out of the scratch & dent bin at Tower.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Can you get LRP motors in the states? I have used their Truck Puller and Crawler spec motors and they are good, strong and fairly cheap considering what some of the top end ones cost. (TP comes 7.2 or 12v spec and equate to around 80t, slow but with mountains or torque, the Crawler comes in at aroun 60t)

LRP

Carson do a pretty good one too.

CARSON MODEL-SPORT*::*Products*::*Electronic*::*Electric Motors*::*Produkt Details

Or, you can get someone with the know how to fettle with a Novak, Tekin something else rebuildable to get you an awesome motor. (We have a guy here in the UK who's outstanding at refining them)
Tonysmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
RCC Addict

I run Brood motors in my XR10 but currently 27t Axial motors in my son's AX10 and Wraith.

It's absolutely worth it to buy a high quality motor that you can rebuild whether it's a Brood, Holmes or other. I would recommend sticking to either of those guys because they are actually on here and can recommend things to you. Depending on your driving style they can recommend things that would work best for you.

If you're going to just run with your kids, then a 35t hand wound on 2s should be pretty robust and last a long time. The higher turn motors "tend" to need a little less maintenance. Where the lower turn motors "tend" tend to need a bit more TLC.

At the races there are a few guys running 30-35t and they dress their brushes and turn their coms after every 3rd race. The higher turn motors are less stressed when running at "play with the kid" pace.

Now, to muddy it up even more. I got the two 27t motors on ebay for $15 for both shipped. That's $7.50/motor shipped to my house. For that price, I am very happy running them and will run them until they are worn out. Then the plan is to stick a brushless sensored motor in the Wraith and pick up a motor for the AX10 in the 30t range. My son mostly just drives it around the yard and doesn't do any hard rock crawling. In fact, it's setup as a scale Jeep Comanche right now.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushed motor recommendation please - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless motor recommendation arrglarks Electronics 4 06-19-2012 12:40 AM
need a motor esc recommendation.. 4drmopar Newbie General 9 04-07-2010 08:01 PM
brushed motor? stanpede HPI Wheely King 2 01-11-2010 12:59 AM
Sensorless brushless motor recommendation 69CrazyHorse Axial SCX-10 5 05-03-2009 06:37 AM
motor recommendation? psun786 Electronics 0 06-17-2008 09:03 PM