Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Front Dig - Old Skool switch questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2012, 05:38 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Front Dig - Old Skool switch questions

I need a little help please. I have a spare 2 way channel on my transmitter. I'm thinking about using it for a front dig to my clod based crawler. I don't want to splash out on a RC Punk unit (plus I don't have a 3 way channel spare) so thought I'd go back in time & use a basic switch, especially since I have one kicking about.
I have a few questions I'm sure the more experienced of you will be able to answer with ease.

1 - I'm using an old Traxxas EVX, powered by a single 2S LiPo, driving a pair of lathe motors. Should I start using a switch to disconnect the motor & short it out, will I damage the motor or ESC in any way?

2 - I understand that the switch will burn out eventually, how quickly will it die & can it cause damage to anything else when it does?

3 - Finally, do I have the wiring correct? Sorry for the bad diagram, I'm lacking in MS Paint skills.

Thanks in advance for all your help
Newth
newth is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Front Dig - Old Skool switch questions

Come on guys, any thoughts please?
Old 06-23-2012, 02:10 PM   #3
RCC Addict

you can disengage the motor by removing the ground side using a 24v switch.

Last edited by SwampDawg; 06-23-2012 at 02:17 PM.
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:03 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by newth View Post
I need a little help please. I have a spare 2 way channel on my transmitter. I'm thinking about using it for a front dig to my clod based crawler. I don't want to splash out on a RC Punk unit (plus I don't have a 3 way channel spare) so thought I'd go back in time & use a basic switch, especially since I have one kicking about.
I have a few questions I'm sure the more experienced of you will be able to answer with ease.

1 - I'm using an old Traxxas EVX, powered by a single 2S LiPo, driving a pair of lathe motors. Should I start using a switch to disconnect the motor & short it out, will I damage the motor or ESC in any way?

2 - I understand that the switch will burn out eventually, how quickly will it die & can it cause damage to anything else when it does?

3 - Finally, do I have the wiring correct? Sorry for the bad diagram, I'm lacking in MS Paint skills.

Thanks in advance for all your help
Newth
What you drew will work fine. It will ensure good braking action as you are shorting the motor terminals and disconnecting the ESC when it is active.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 06:20 PM   #5
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Yep, as HeyOK said, thats perfect.

I'd just like to add though, because your driving a pair of motors from a single ESC, just be careful that you have each motor wired separately from the EVX, and not paralleled otherwise you'll be disconnecting both motors.
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 11:36 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies guys. That's great.

Will the EVX be damaged using the dig? I presume it won't, but thought I'd ask those with more experience than me.

Here's a link to the switch I have kicking about. Will it be good for the job? I think it would certainly be a neat & tidy answer.

BattleSwitch Radio Controlled 10A Relay Switch

If no good, would I be better with a micro switch & a servo to make/break it?

Thanks for your help
Newth

Front Dig - Old Skool switch questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can you use a punk dig to switch between front and rear winches? scarstens General Scale Talk 13 02-28-2012 08:17 PM
front dig switch jgb7038 Electronics 3 02-19-2008 07:01 PM
Front Hi/Lo switch removal JasonInAugusta General Crawlers 11 01-26-2007 03:20 PM