Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Hitec 7955tg servo question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-22-2012, 07:38 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Hitec 7955tg servo question

I'm planning on getting the hitec 7955tg servo for my scx10. Right now in my truck I have the traxxas 2075 servo. Since I have a traxxas xl-5 esc with low voltage cutoff and a 2S lipo 5200mah, do I need to run a bec to run the 7955tg servo?

Thanks in advance!
raiders32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 AM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Hitec 7955tg servo question

You don't need to use a BEC especially with a two cell and the cutoff is irrelevent, however, the output of the Traxxas ESC is relevent and if you want the maximum performance out of that servo you want to run it at 6V. I'm not sure how many volts and amps the Traxxas ESC puts out.

http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/xl5waterprooflvd

I just looked up the XL-5 and eventhough it puts out 6V it is only 1amp which is pretty weak. So in light of this information I would suggest getting a BEC and learning how to use it. Now remember that a Castle 10amp BEC is 5.1V factory default and you will need to use a Castle Link on a computer to raise that to 6V.

Last edited by AreCee; 06-22-2012 at 08:26 AM.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
You don't need to use a BEC especially with a two cell and the cutoff is irrelevent, however, the output of the Traxxas ESC is relevent and if you want the maximum performance out of that servo you want to run it at 6V. I'm not sure how many volts and amps the Traxxas ESC puts out.

Traxxas - XL-5 ESC with LVD (#3018R) - Overview | traxxas.com

I just looked up the XL-5 and eventhough it puts out 6V it is only 1amp which is pretty weak. So in light of this information I would suggest getting a BEC and learning how to use it. Now remember that a Castle 10amp BEC is 5.1V factory default and you will need to use a Castle Link on a computer to raise that to 6V.
Now if i wanted to change my esc, which one would you recommend? Would the new axial ae-2 esc work?
Old 06-22-2012, 09:26 AM   #4

The AE-2's internal BEC is 5V/2A. Which is only a slight improvement in the BEC department. It would work, but may only be marginally better at 1 more amp. If your considering the AE-2, go for the Castle Sidewinder V2. If I remember right it's internal BEC is 5.1V/3A. I have a Sidewinder V2 in an Axial Wraith using the same Hitec servo. The Sidewinder V2 runs around $65-68 depending on where you buy (often a few $ cheaper than the AE-2). The Sidewinder also has a crawler drag brake (213%), the AE-2 does not (My son's RTR Wraith has the AE-2). I don't comp with it. It's never been in a situation that the servo was not able to torque it's way out of and it's never caused a shutdown, or "brownout" as its referred to. Brownout occurs when your servo pulls too much juice, often in a bind, causing the power available to the Receiver to drop below it's low voltage shutdown causing the Rx to "reboot" (shuts off then restarts). If your not Comp'ing with your rig it will be more than sufficient with your servo.

If you want a ESC with an adjustable BEC that you can set yourself I'd say get a Mamba Max Pro, or if you want the Ultimate Crawler ESC get a Holmes Hobbies BR-XL (which is cheaper than the Mamba)

If you don't have a Castle Link to program your ESC, pick one up. The HH BR-XL is also programable with it.
GeauxFYourself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 10:18 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiders32 View Post
Now if i wanted to change my esc, which one would you recommend? Would the new axial ae-2 esc work?
I would get the Holmes ESC since its cost is equal to a Castle Sidewinder AND a BEC but the Holmes' BEC delivers 6V @ 5A which is adequate for the 7955 servo and you wouldn't need a BEC.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 11:00 AM   #6
Jus
I wanna be Dave

I'm using that servo with a Holmes BRXL in my Wraith and it's an excellent combo for any rig running brushed motors.. I'd highly recommend the BRXL if you're looking for a new esc.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys for your help. I think I'm gonna go with the holmes hobby br-xl esc. Only thing is, is now I have to wait for Christmas!

Hitec 7955tg servo question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hitec 7955tg servo on stock wraith question crawleR07 Axial Wraith 22 10-19-2011 05:37 PM