Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wraith motor...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2012, 12:20 PM   #21
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wraith motor...

eitherway... i opted for the KIT which i just put a DP on this morning!
cant wait til friday to pick this beast up!

already have a pile of stuff ready for it such as alloy adj piggyback shox (just rebuilt), 3CH Tx, 4CH Rx, 7.2v 3300mAh stickpack for now, upper alloy axial links, etc.
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2012, 12:27 PM   #22
Quarry Creeper

I would run more rtr's motors they are cheap. If you trail bash it, I'd buy two at a time and replace them when they die. I run rtr motors in my scx10 because of the mud and water it goes in. I am running a 27t out of a wheelie king for 10 bucks shipped.

Just my .02
Levesque87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 PM   #23

i put one of those outerwear$ motor savers on my wraith. it wont keep the water out but looks like it will do a good job of keeping dust/dirt/mud from getting in the motor and trashing the comm.

i wish i would have done it before i trashed a team handwound crawlmaster pro...
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 04:25 AM   #24
Rock Stacker

Look guys I know it was a crap stock motor and I have rebuildable motors in all of my other rigs and take care of them but with this I just ran it till it died because it is cheap and does anybody care to explain *how the hell you are supposed to maintain a sealed can motor!!! I only posted here to see peoples opinions on the extent of the worn away brushes and to find out about double wind motors (which nobody has answered yet).*
I an not a noob I knew this would happen eventually but from past experiences I was not expecting it to happen quite this soon.*

Anyhows seeing as this is the electronics section can someone please tell me the difference between double and single wind motors?
I am going to replace this POS with a rebuildable probably 21t double wind motor so a little help please?

Thanks
ROCKST*R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:32 AM   #25
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROCKST*R View Post
Look guys I know it was a crap stock motor and I have rebuildable motors in all of my other rigs and take care of them but with this I just ran it till it died because it is cheap and does anybody care to explain *how the hell you are supposed to maintain a sealed can motor!!! I only posted here to see peoples opinions on the extent of the worn away brushes and to find out about double wind motors (which nobody has answered yet).*
I an not a noob I knew this would happen eventually but from past experiences I was not expecting it to happen quite this soon.*

Anyhows seeing as this is the electronics section can someone please tell me the difference between double and single wind motors?
I am going to replace this POS with a rebuildable probably 21t double wind motor so a little help please?

Thanks
Ha! Fail all the way through....anyhow I'll give you want you want to know.

Ok then, not a noob...how to maintain a sealed can motor...blow it out with air or rinse it out with clean water then blow it out with air, then lube the bushings.

The difference between doubles and singles...a double is wound twice, the single is wound once. IIRC you'll see a bit more torque with the double, slightly less speed.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 07:34 AM   #26
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duuuuuuuude View Post

Ok then, not a noob...how to maintain a sealed can motor...blow it out with air or rinse it out with clean water then blow it out with air, then lube the bushings.

The difference between doubles and singles...a double is wound twice, the single is wound once. IIRC you'll see a bit more torque with the double, slightly less speed.
Bluntman!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 08:01 AM   #27
Rock Stacker

Quote:

That's what I was doing to maintain it other than the water part it was just how you all made it sound like there was some other way to do it that had confused me and I was expecting the double winds to have slightly more torque than singles.

What did i fail at?
Old 06-26-2012, 08:06 AM   #28
Suck it up!

Quote:
What did i fail at?
By trying to prove that you knew all of this was happening, yet you acted shocked with disbelief when it did and slammed Axial for their supposed poor quality.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #29
Rock Stacker

Quote:
By trying to prove that you knew all of this was happening, yet you acted shocked with disbelief when it did and slammed Axial for their supposed poor quality.
fair enough, I was just pissed because I have had to replace most of the front axle including servo and now the motor, I've now realised that the wraith needs some TLC from me in areas that I didn't expect to keep it running.
Old 06-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #30
Suck it up!

Quote:
fair enough, I was just pissed because I have had to replace most of the front axle including servo and now the motor, I've now realised that the wraith needs some TLC from me in areas that I didn't expect to keep it running.
And that is how the crawler game is played. RTR's have what some might consider sub par parts, but that is to keep them affordable and on the rocks. Nobody who has been doing this very long keeps the stock electronics anyway, they're usually the first to go. Though Axial did step up and offer a nice esc worth hanging on to...
Old 06-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #31
I wanna be Dave

Actually, if the double packs more copper than the single version, which they usually do, it will have more top speed. The typical downside to a double is they weigh more, because of the increased wire size, so they spool up slower. RPM, Torque and Power should all increase if the copper fill is more than the single is.

The biggest improvement you can do for the stock wraith motors is adjust the gearing......the guy who set the stock gearing for the wraith at Axial should be out of a job, its not even remotely close to correct, especially when 90% of all users slap 3s in the things.

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:13 AM   #32
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
Actually, if the double packs more copper than the single version, which they usually do, it will have more top speed. The typical downside to a double is they weigh more, because of the increased wire size, so they spool up slower. RPM, Torque and Power should all increase if the copper fill is more than the single is.
Ah, thanks for the correction.
Old 06-26-2012, 09:47 AM   #33
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post

The biggest improvement you can do for the stock wraith motors is adjust the gearing......the guy who set the stock gearing for the wraith at Axial should be out of a job, its not even remotely close to correct, especially when 90% of all users slap 3s in the things.

Later EddieO
Do you think the gearing is too tall, or short?
I'm guessing too tall, thus slow acceleration and lots of motor heat. The heat would shorten the motor life.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #34
RCC Addict

I think they geared it so it was fast for the videos figuring that out of the box people would just drive it around their yards in the grass and dirt. Now we all know to go from the 20t pinion down to a 12 or 14
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wraith motor... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith motor cluemac Axial Wraith 10 12-19-2011 12:13 PM
Motor Question for Wraith xxCARLSONxx Newbie General 12 12-13-2011 10:45 AM
Wraith Motor for 3S and BR-XL BennyTRD Axial Wraith 16 08-19-2011 02:31 AM