Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Wraith motor...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-23-2012, 11:49 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Angry Wraith motor...

I just took this stock motor out of my stock wraith because it just died for no apparent reason, just found out why

It would appear that the brushes have worn down to such an extent that the spring started wearing down on the comm until this then wore down to a point where the motor wouldn't run and it just stopped dead
Really not happy with the quality on some other parts of axial rigs either
Anyone fancy a guess at how old this wraith wasn't?
ROCKST*R is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Wraith motor...

-One month old?
-Time for a decent motor that is rebuildable.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
-One month old?
-Time for a decent motor that is rebuildable.
no it was 6 months old
a decent quality motor that is rebuildable is what I was going to put in it.
would a 21x2t motor have more torque and the same wheelspeed as a21t(I know a wraith is 20t stock)?
Old 06-24-2012, 01:44 PM   #4
RCC Addict

its a cheap $10 dollar motor , be glad you got 6 months out of it. mine lasted 4 months, but it did run in alot of mud and water. time to upgrade to a quality motor that you can rebuild.

Last edited by crawlhog; 06-24-2012 at 02:06 PM.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 01:51 PM   #5
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Were you hard on it? Geared high? High voltage? A lot of dirt/dust?

It's a cheap motor but should last a while.. And yours did.. 6 months isn't bad... I've gotten over a year out of the 27T Axials but that's being nice to it and keeping it clean and oiled.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:04 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I'd say that you used every bit of that motor that you could have. 6 months is pretty good for that stock motor in the Wraith. You'd probably get about 9 months to a year out of a 27t stock motor or a lifetime out of a rebuild-able one.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 02:44 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

That's freakin awesome. It looks like you dunked it in some water and then rolled it around in a sand box. Then you expect it to last a couple of years?

Those motors are junk, but they are made for a purpose, to supply a person new to the hobby with a short term amount of fun. Which is exactly what it did.

They will last a little longer with frequent motor spray outs and oiling the bushings/bearings. Other than that there is not much you can do, oh, except don't overgear or overpower it.

Back in the day you could get some new brush-springs for it. But I'm not sure about now a days.

I would just buy another one and beat the ever living snot out of it like the first or you may want to power up with some more horses.
STEW<CO> is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 03:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Your made it longer than my daughters. Hers ran for almost 10 seconds before it smoked. The best low buck motor is a Traxxas 550 Titan motor. Hers has been going for a few months now.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:06 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

haha yeah 6 months off the stock 20T motor is about as good as any non-rebuildable brushed unit could yield. i really like the axial 20T and 27T motors...they are a good deal too.
i put a tekin 35T crawler motor (rebuildable) into my AX10 ridgecrest. it would be a great motor for the wraith if you're going trailing and crawling. for speed the 35T is a bit lacking but i love the torque. i'm geared 20/87 in my AX10. probably wouldn't go any higher since I like rock crawling...however I did run a 24T pinion on it last week and the motor was muuuuch quicker (heat still wasn't an issue).
RC_Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:08 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

i have a traxxas 550 Titan 12T but it gets terrible runtime compared to everything else I've used. they seem inefficient to me? maybe just my experience.
are you using the titan 12T or one of the higher turn varieties? i am open to trying another titan maybe the 21T in the future? they certainly are cheap but i like to have rebuildable option since cutting the comm and swapping in new brushes is ridiculously easy and cheap.
RC_Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:33 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

lol I thought six months was pretty bad seeing as i have had other silver can motors last much longer in dusty conditions and running full throttle most of the time.
I'm just pissed at axial for not putting better quality parts on their rigs (not just the motors) because they're not exactly cheap to begin with, especially the wraith.

A Rebuildable motor is on the cards, would a 21t double wind give me more torque than a standard 21t but still the same speed. I have never used double winds before

Thanks for all of your input it is much apreciated
Old 06-25-2012, 06:24 AM   #12
RCC Addict

If you're willing to go to 3s packs, then you could up the winding to the 35 and still get all the wheel speed you want and a ton of torque.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
Suck it up!

No matter what motor you put in there, you'll need to take care of it. A "quality" rebuildable motor will look just as bad. If you let the new one go as long as the old one without any maintenance you'll only get a few rebuilds before its completely trashed and you'll be back here bitching about that too.

I also suggest another rtr motor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Tomato View Post
i have a traxxas 550 Titan 12T but it gets terrible runtime compared to everything else I've used. they seem inefficient to me? maybe just my experience.
Fewer winds = more amp draw = less run time.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 06-25-2012 at 07:03 AM.
Duuuuuuuude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:07 AM   #14
RCC Addict

So, if you do the 21t Titan motor do you get the forward rotation or the reverse rotation motor for the Wraith? I know you can just swap the leads, but the motor has a little forward timing so it should run in that direction.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:37 AM   #15
RCC Addict

i spoke with my LHS this morning regarding the electronics (Wraith RTR) and mentioned that ive been seeing alot of people complaining of such things as this motor of yours and even they told me that these 20T crap motors last days if that. But another note he laughed and also said "But we sell lots of Tekin motors now cuz of it"

hahahahahaa
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:18 AM   #16
RCC Addict

My LHS only wants to sell you brushless Traxxas stuff and Castle SCT packages. I'd be luck to even see a brushed motor in that store.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #17
Suck it up!

These are toys, not family heirlooms that will be handed down for generations. They are meant to be affordable, not everlasting.

The Wraith, being what it is, begs to have the crap beat out of it. So people do, and the thing breaks. Then they come here and whine about it.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:31 AM   #18
RCC Addict

uhhhh......noooo!!
i think this is where you are partly wrong duuuuude....

sure things break, obviously!
but for a motor or any other electronic part fail in days after the purchase? unacceptable imo
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 11:43 AM   #19
Suck it up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampDawg View Post
uhhhh......noooo!!
i think this is where you are partly wrong duuuuude....

sure things break, obviously!
but for a motor or any other electronic part fail in days after the purchase? unacceptable imo
I got three runs out of one of their 27t motors. Disappointed? A little, but one can only expect so much out of a rtr motor. Especially when you get them wet.

The guys that I race sc trucks with that haven't made the swap over to brushless tend to only get a couple of nights racing out of them before they're trash.

If you push a rtr motor hard, it will fail. It is not uncommon nor unheard of. Especially if you power it with anything more than a stick pack.

And I'll tell you what: had the Wraith come equipped with a high quality motor, the OP would still be here complaining that it took a crap, and it would look exactly like the one pictured above. Things don't magically take care of themselves, you have to do it yourself. Seeing the brushes worn down as far as they were indicated that he did not pay attention to the motor whatsoever. Put a Holmes or Brood or Tekin in those same circumstances and they will be ruined just like a rtr motor will be. If that were a rebuildable motor it would still be trash because the comm is worn so heavily.

Last edited by Duuuuuuuude; 06-25-2012 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-25-2012, 11:49 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Think about it, if every RTR Wraith came with a nice hand wound motor that would be another $60-$75 on top of the existing cost. Add in a BEC and another servo and you're close to $200 more for a RTR.

Parts shouldn't wear out in 3 runs (for this type of truck) and if you drive it on flat ground like the videos show then the stock stuff is fine. If you take it to the rocks and try climbing out of the box then you burn up stuff. I'm running a 27t stock motor in mine with some pretty low gearing and soon to put a new motor/esc into it but it's actually running pretty good.

Wraith motor... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith motor cluemac Axial Wraith 10 12-19-2011 12:13 PM
Motor Question for Wraith xxCARLSONxx Newbie General 12 12-13-2011 10:45 AM
Wraith Motor for 3S and BR-XL BennyTRD Axial Wraith 16 08-19-2011 02:31 AM