Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: looking for a new esc..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default looking for a new esc..

was thinking about the tekin fsr.. something already water proof would be great.. fsr really thinking about.. seems pretty popular.. what are you guys running? need a replacement for a 2.2 scx 10.. no novak please. my family has had 2 burned up ones in the last year and my cooked itself today.. heated up enough the one battery connection came undone..

thanks
m1009cucv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2012, 09:54 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: looking for a new esc..

I'm running the fxr, drag brake on it is awesome
demonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:00 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

i've been running my FXR on 3s for about a year now and not had 1 problem, i love it because it so small
water proofing it is super easy!!
either you can plastic dip it or do what i do and just put all the electronics in a sealed up box with silicone
kinda like this
ZackMicF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 10:08 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The FXR is a good choice but if you want waterproof go with a BRXL from Holmes Hobbies. Adjustable like the fxr with the castle link and the drag brake is the best!!! Price is very close so paying 10-15 bucks more for a waterproof esc is worth it IMO.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #5
RCC Addict

ok ill chack out the holmes hobbies too thanks
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

The drag break wasn't that great when I ran my fxr. Even after messing with it from their link program/cable. Now using decased mamba macro pros and couldnt be happier. I have everything shrink wrapped (both escs, bec,rx) and I'm sure it wouldnt take much more to waterproof the whole setup. I run Holmes hobbie hand wound motors which also rock!

Last edited by irokcrawl; 06-26-2012 at 11:28 PM.
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
RCC Addict

If you want out of the box water proof, the Holmes Hobby BRXL is really the only game in town. It also is a great esc. The FXR is also a great esc. It is smaller, and offers lots of tuning with a hotwire ( the brxl also can be tuned with the castle link). It is not water proof unless you do it yourself. And then if it dies, there is no warranty. Holmes offers a 60 day warranty on his waterproof esc's.

You are not going wrong with either, but the BRXL offers a little more flexibility by allowing up to 6s and a stronger internal BEC. It also has the holmes hold for extra drag brake.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2012, 11:35 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

My friend has a holmes brxl on his crawler. A little big for a comp rig, which he didn't do, but awesome none the less... Good for 6s too

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
asian195 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:45 AM   #9
RCC Addict

thanks for posting up.. with the fxr can you set the drag brake to be strong?
Old 06-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #10
RCC Addict

whats the warranty on novak escs? i have had this for 14 months. thats it.. maybe i can send it back
Old 06-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1009cucv View Post
thanks for posting up.. with the fxr can you set the drag brake to be strong?
Yes, but I don't think it's quite as good as a BR-XL/Castle Creations drag brake.

My son & I run multiple CC ESC's as well as FX-r's. Either is decent, I like the CC ESC's a little better though.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

FXR enough said
Joe&Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 07:57 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I will say that if I was not trying to stuff 2 of these in a comp chassis I would have went straight to a BR-XL. I love the fact that it has a good BEC in it and if I was doing any scaling and wanted it waterproof you can get it from him waterproofed for 60 days or something like that. Some people love there FXR's and I thought I did until I drove something else and it made me realize what the FXR was lacking. I also hated those little compactors that seem to not really have a nice home. Keep a few for spares if you go that route.

also if you buy castle ESC's then you only have to have one cable/link to set your BEC and your ESC(s) those things are not cheap for a damn cable either. I dont believe many run anything other than a Castle BEC but I may be mistaken..

Last edited by irokcrawl; 06-27-2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:05 AM   #14
Rock Stacker

I am pretty sure I'm in the market for a new ESC as well, I "think" I just burned up an ae-1 esc that I got with my rig when I bought it and even if it's not burned up I think an upgrade is definitely in line. I don't have a drag brake or anything with this one as it's probably the most basic esc out there. I'm sure I was overpowering it without even using a lipo. Anyway, from what I've read and seen the BRXL seems to be the best and most solid esc available. I'm probably just going to get one of them real soon.
aebstract is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 08:12 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by aebstract View Post
I am pretty sure I'm in the market for a new ESC as well, I "think" I just burned up an ae-1 esc that I got with my rig when I bought it and even if it's not burned up I think an upgrade is definitely in line. I don't have a drag brake or anything with this one as it's probably the most basic esc out there. I'm sure I was overpowering it without even using a lipo. Anyway, from what I've read and seen the BRXL seems to be the best and most solid esc available. I'm probably just going to get one of them real soon.
You will be happy with it and it will be a night and days difference

Sent from my Razr from the deepest part of your brain using tapatalk
Old 06-27-2012, 07:06 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I am running the mamba max pro and love it! If you want it waterproof just seal of inside a project box or a tuperware type container! The drag brake on it is awesome as well!!
CRAWLERJOE is offline   Reply With Quote

looking for a new esc.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which ESC Brake/Reverse Type Setting on my Mamba Max ESC? b00st3d Venom Creeper 3 01-24-2010 04:34 PM
RX pack & ESC, remove the red wire or leave the ESC switch off BenW Electronics 5 02-23-2005 06:25 PM