Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Tekin RX8 vs Castle Creations MMP

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 01:04 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Tekin RX8 vs Castle Creations MMP

I need some help deciding, I am building a wraith and have decided in a Tekin pro 4 3300 motor but have recently been stuck on what ESC to use, it's either a tekin rx8 or cc MMP, I know most people use the MMP but I like to be a little different and I love tekin, so what are the cons, pros, of these two esc, and do I need to run an external bec with the cc, or rx8. And what one runs smoother, and the best bang for my buck! Thanks!
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 05:56 AM   #2

Default Re: Tekin RX8 vs Castle Creations MMP

do I need to run an external bec with the cc, or rx8
i would always run a ccbec they are worth every penney

i will only run the mmp its the best esc on the market for crawling and you can take it reprogram it and run drift short course or a bash rig as far as i am conserned there are no other esc on the market !
toby5240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
RCC Addict

The MMP is less expensive than the RX8 and for your application every bit as good. The RX8 is really an 8th scale ESC while the MMP is a 10th scale ESC that can handle lighter 8th scale applications.

If using a high powered servo I would use the cc BEC with either controller.

Both are good controllers, but for this I would go MMP. It also has a smart sense mode that uses sensored and sensorless which is the best of both worlds. Sensored for start up where it's most efficient and for low speed crawling the sensorless for higher speeds.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:15 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I am mulling over the same thing, only my application is an EXO terra. Do you guys still think the MMP is the way to go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
Crawlster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 07:31 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Have you looked into the brushless hobbies LT4? i dont own one but everybody raves about them and theyre a dualmode fully programmable 120A esc for $67. I plan to buy 2 of em on my next round of orders.
Between tekin and castle, im a fan of both but i lean towards tekin since I do more buggy and SCT racing than crawling.
RC_Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Tomato View Post
Have you looked into the brushless hobbies LT4? i dont own one but everybody raves about them and theyre a dualmode fully programmable 120A esc for $67. I plan to buy 2 of em on my next round of orders.
Between tekin and castle, im a fan of both but i lean towards tekin since I do more buggy and SCT racing than crawling.
then i think you shoul save you money for Tekin they are the best for just sct !

the mmp is the best allaround esc but the Tekin is the best for sct races ! i think !

Last edited by THX_138; 07-23-2012 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 08:50 AM   #7
Rock Stacker

Hey toby.
I agree the tekin stuff is top notch and i am a huge fan. However, the BH LT4 has pretty much all the same features as a tekin RS, except the LT4 is $67 vs $190. That is a huge difference. There are guys throughout the SCT world who do just fine (and win) with the BL esc's. So i wouldnt be too quick to conclude that one needs a tekin esc to go fast.
In fact one of thr most annoying things about the tekin RS is that you need the hotwire software to switch it from dual mode to sensored only. Thats another $50 and requiring a PC for a mac person like myself is heresy.
Anyway i am yet to find anybody who owned a BH esc unit that didnt love it....so im def gonna give them a shot soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby5240 View Post
the mmp is the best allaround esc but the Tekin is the best for sct races ! i think !
IMO the MMP is very far from the best esc. I am finished with castle because their esc units cant support any of my Savox servos. Im my B4 and B44, it is super clumbsy to then require running a BEC to fix this problem. Modern servos all like power, so until castle can adapt their esc's to modern servos, I have to say their stuff is way behind.
That being said castle has great tech support and everything else i find just fine, but it requires dropping another $20 on a BEC (coincidental that they sell one??) and then the car has like 10 extra wires flying around....annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlster View Post
I am mulling over the same thing, only my application is an EXO terra. Do you guys still think the MMP is the way to go?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
See, now for something like this, an exo terra where you want an esc thats gonna give you adjustability and handle a big 4wd-caliber motor, this is where personally i would try the BH LT4. I know youguys probably think i work for Brushless Hobbies or something (I dont), but after dropping thousands of $$ on ESCs, my experience has been that the actual electronics are pretty cheapso weare mostly paying for brand labels, marketing, a fancy design, shiny stickers, you get my point....

I have 2 of these en route...people seem to like them and save boatloads of $.
Brushless R/C Buggies, Trucks, Helicopter, Electronics, Transmitters, Parts & Accessories Store

Last edited by THX_138; 07-23-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 09:10 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Tomato View Post
IMO the MMP is very far from the best esc. I am finished with castle because their esc units cant support any of my Savox servos. Im my B4 and B44, it is super clumbsy to then require running a BEC to fix this problem. Modern servos all like power, so until castle can adapt their esc's to modern servos, I have to say their stuff is way behind.
That being said castle has great tech support and everything else i find just fine, but it requires dropping another $20 on a BEC (coincidental that they sell one??) and then the car has like 10 extra wires flying around....annoying.
if you take the time to mach sevos to the esc! other they just buing a name of course its not going to suport a 7 or 9 volt constant servo it is set for a factory 5 or 6 volt i am running the biggest savox servo on the market on my crawler with a mmp ! and it does a dam good job ! no esc on the markeket can handel the new big saxox servos ! if it can the rest of that esc sucks !
and as far as extra wires go thats you shotty craftsmenship not castle !

now i dont mean to be disrespectful to you ! it does say on the main page to use bigger servos you should use bec on the savox and castle web sites !

I probably shouldnt be talking about 2wd buggies

we all are in too rc so i it should be ok ! i have a few 1/16 e revos

Last edited by THX_138; 07-23-2012 at 11:07 AM.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Rock on. Its all a matter of preference of course. I am just not a fan of having to drop another $25 and put extra wires in my RC (especially since I mostly race). If you never seen a MMP + BEC and wires in a B4.1 buggy....well....it looks like somebody spilled extra wiring onto the chassis....very tough to make it look good. Then again this is a crawler forum so I probably shouldnt be talking about 2wd buggies!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Ok here's my take
The mmp is a far cry from the best esc on the market. It is a 80amp esc with 120amp burst which in my exo with a pro4 caused thermal shutdown. The MMP is fine but can not run for more then 10-15 mins then 1 hour cool down for another 10 min, just not worth it!!! Went to the RX8 and can now run pack after pack after pack with no issues no heating up no wondering about gearing causing issues.

Now for your application in the wraith I too have the mmp pro4 combo and am happy with it but if I had the cash right now I would have a RX8 in there now!!! Is it overkill for the wraith imo no cause if you look at what that motor wants for power the MMp is barely up to the task!!!

I don't know anything about the bh esc but did notice this Physical Specifications (80A and 120A) so which is it 80a or 120a? If it is like the MMP with 80a and 120a burst then it is only a cheaper version of the MMP.

As far as the servo issue, iI don't race much mostly into crawlers and scale rigs but have an exo and a sc10 2wd both with quick servo's with no becs in either rig with no issues with either the mmp or rx8. You must be running a higher tourque servo to be getting into servo isues's requiring you to buy a bec. Try going to a less tourque servo and you could loose the bec. I think!!!lol

So if ya have the cash spend it on a quality product like the RX8 as the pro4 motors are way to amp hungary for lesser esc's!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post
Ok here's my take
The mmp is a far cry from the best esc on the market. It is a 80amp esc with 120amp burst which in my exo with a pro4 caused thermal shutdown. The MMP is fine but can not run for more then 10-15 mins then 1 hour cool down for another 10 min, just not worth it!!! Went to the RX8 and can now run pack after pack after pack with no issues no heating up no wondering about gearing causing issues.

I run a Pro4 4600 and MMP in my Losi SCTE (much heavier truck) pack after pack in a racing setting and never see temps over 125 on the esc ever. I also have never had temps over 140 on the motor. That is after 3 full 60c 6000 2s packs and almost 35 minutes of drive time.

I like the RX8, but the MMP is no slouch and I suspect you have a drive train or gearing issue on the EXO.

I do run a BEC in everything RC I own. Cheap insurance against brown outs, and keep the temps in control on the esc, IMO.

For a Wraith, the best ESC motor combo is a MMP, and a Pro4 motor. Save the $100 on a MMP over the RX8 and bullet proof your driveline and tranny. With that combo your going to need it. PLUS, Castle has a much longer warranty than Tekin, and an excellent trade up program if your stuff is out of warranty. It might take a little while, but IMO, the trade off is worth it.

Last edited by The Violator; 07-19-2012 at 02:53 PM.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:48 PM   #12

this is a completely useless reply, but imo the tekin rx8 is a killer looking piece of gadgetry compared to the mmp, which looks like a box with wires sticking out.
badhoopty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

How did my wraith post turn into a short course post? i need to know how it will do when crawling and going fast not racing guys lol.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
I run a Pro4 4600 and MMP in my Losi SCTE (much heavier truck) pack after pack in a racing setting and never see temps over 125 on the esc ever. I also have never had temps over 140 on the motor. That is after 3 full 60c 6000 2s packs and almost 35 minutes of drive time.

I like the RX8, but the MMP is no slouch and I suspect you have a drive train or gearing issue on the EXO.

I do run a BEC in everything RC I own. Cheap insurance against brown outs, and keep the temps in control on the esc, IMO.

For a Wraith, the best ESC motor combo is a MMP, and a Pro4 motor.
Nope no gearing issues at all, no binding and everything spins freely!!! The only difference is I run the 4000kv pro4 so maybe that has something to do with it. And the exo isn't much lighter then the losi scte.

I use thunder power 65c 3300mah packs. With the 2s packs I have it would only get warm no shut down but on 3s I would get shut down. RX8 no shutdown and not even getting a bit hot.

Not trying to slam castle I think the MMP is a great esc just a little light for a pro4 or other amp hungry motor!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 02:57 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by badhoopty View Post
this is a completely useless reply, but imo the tekin rx8 is a killer looking piece of gadgetry compared to the mmp, which looks like a box with wires sticking out.
Yeah i feel the same way the mmp looks like its from the 70's and the rx8 looks cooler imo also.
Old 07-19-2012, 02:59 PM   #16
Rock Stacker

RX8 is leaps and bounds better than the MMP. Its also a lot more money. I'd rather buy once with the Tekin, though. If you do have a problem with the Tekin their service is awesome. I just sent in a Tekin RS (b/c I plugged in battery wires backwards(new battery with the poles switched..)) and got it back within 10 days. They just issued me a brand new in box Tekin RS, too.

If your only decision is MMP or RX8 get the RX8. If you're taking suggestions try out that Brushless Hobbies 120A esc. They're SOLID and based in OK I believe.
jdrake19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 03:02 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mammoth View Post

Now for your application in the wraith I too have the mmp pro4 combo and am happy with it but if I had the cash right now I would have a RX8 in there now!!! Is it overkill for the wraith imo no cause if you look at what that motor wants for power the MMp is barely up to the task!!!

So if ya have the cash spend it on a quality product like the RX8 as the pro4 motors are way to amp hungary for lesser esc's!!!
I did give you my experience with the MMP and pro4 with my wraith. It works perfectly fine but if you have the money go for the RX8 as it is IMO more up to the task of that motor's hunger for amps. I think the ro4 in the wraith is the best of both worlds and eith esc will do the job!!!
Old 07-19-2012, 03:06 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

money isnt a huge deal, i just dont want to buy an esc that cost 94$ more if i dont have to.
Old 07-19-2012, 03:09 PM   #19
RCC Addict

K if have it then get it, as you will never need to buy another esc for that kind of application again. They will also warranty it if you waterproof it with plast-dip or liquid electrical, once you remove it. Will do anything you could ever want it to do where the MMP will fall short.

So to anwser your question, yes you can get by with just a MMP. IMO the RX8 is still a better choice!!!
Old 07-22-2012, 12:37 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ kid93 View Post
How did my wraith post turn into a short course post? i need to know how it will do when crawling and going fast not racing guys lol.
some people are dum azzez and only wont there opinion heard !
for the wraith i have i run a mmp with a novac 13.5 ss on 3s lipo !
great braking tons of power and water proof ! i wheel with mine every day
and it keep dishing it out !

Tekin RX8 vs Castle Creations MMP - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
MMP or Tekin rx8 with t8 motor klabeaume Electronics 9 07-08-2011 02:14 PM
Tekin T8 (truggy) 2000KV Which ESC, MMP or RX8 Agama Electronics 12 06-06-2011 12:33 PM