Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: What the heck?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default What the heck?

So I have been running a castle micro sidewinder in my MRC pro for almost a year, and it has worked flawlessly. It was combined with a castle bec, a losi mini insane motor, a spektrum sr300 receiver, and a gens ace 2 cell lipo. But yesterday I had to change motors as I burned up my mini insane. But the mini insane motor had been discontinued so I opted to try a mini slider motor. So I Soldered it all up and when I tested it it worked perfectly. So I installed it and went to show my mom. She asked to try it so I gave it to her. But when she pulled the throttle the esc burst in to flames. Luckily I tore the electronics out and put them in a metal pot and nothing got burned. But my esc is completely blackened as well as my bec which I am pretty sure was affected by the fire because it won't respond to the castle link. I am very confused and angry. Is this something I did or was it a random thing? I have had nothing but trouble with castle's electronics, but this is the first time something like this has happened. Thanks for the help!!

eedew is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 12:35 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: What the heck?

That looks like it was dead shorted or something was shorting the board directly.

The ESC is trash as is the BEC just by your description.

Do you have a photo of how the motor was wired?

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

eww, that sucks. yeah if it was fine before maybe you made a mistake adding new motor or it was just its time.
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggermirage View Post
That looks like it was dead shorted or something was shorting the board directly.

The ESC is trash as is the BEC just by your description.

Do you have a photo of how the motor was wired?

Marcus

Here's the picture of the motor. I just used deans connectors like I did before. Could the motor have caused this?

Old 07-19-2012, 01:36 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

If the motor happened to have both wires soldered onto one side only, then yes, it could have caused it.

However, I'm unfamiliar to the style of endbell (open or closed) the slider motor has on it and if it would be possible.

I have seen people mistakenly blow electronics up by miswiring the motor.

If it was properly wired however, then your guess is as good as mine.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Something like that could have only happened because of a dead short. My guess is something with the motor shorted out the speedo. Castle makes really nice stuff, so I am not sure why you have had problems. Their programming can be problematic, but the quality of the product, and throttle control is hands down better than any other speedo's out there. I have been running castle for many years, and so have many locals with no problems
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 11:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I'm also wondering why you say you've had "nothing but trouble" with their products when the first sentence of your post says "So I have been running a castle micro sidewinder in my MRC pro for almost a year, and it has worked flawlessly."

The guys above are right...looks like a solder joint was touching something it shouldn't have or the motor may have been wired incorrectly. The motor could have been faulty and thrown a wind or something along those lines...

Here's what the slider motor looks like...it come with leads attached from the factory...

ittybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 01:21 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ittybitty View Post
I'm also wondering why you say you've had "nothing but trouble" with their products when the first sentence of your post says "So I have been running a castle micro sidewinder in my MRC pro for almost a year, and it has worked flawlessly."

The guys above are right...looks like a solder joint was touching something it shouldn't have or the motor may have been wired incorrectly. The motor could have been faulty and thrown a wind or something along those lines...

Here's what the slider motor looks like...it come with leads attached from the factory...

Thanks for the pic ittybitty. And I wasn't meaning to diss castle or anything. I agree that the make some of the highest quality electronics available for rc's, and I will continue to use them. But recently I have had major problem's with electronics, most of them probably caused by me. On another note, I switched all the electronics to a spare mamba micro pro and another castle bec, and it's working now. So I probably did something by accident and caused a short somewhere on the board and caused it to catch fire. I don't think that that is covered by warrenty then is it? Thanks for the help everybody!

What the heck? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
how the heck TLTCrawlin Newbie General 4 07-29-2006 11:43 PM