Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lipo help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2012, 04:22 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Lipo help!

Ive never owned a lipo always owned ni-mh. I got Duratrax DTXM1055 IntelliSpeed AutoSport FWD ESC esc and i was wonderin what kind of lipo i can run with out fryin everything. And what would I have to use for a charger? Thanks for helpin a noob out
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Lipo help!

They can only handle 8.4v, so a 2S lipo (7.4v). Also, you need to get a charger that can charge lipo's and balance them. There's hundreds out there, just need to search
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:47 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

will the lipos give me more tire speed? What are the pros and cons of lipos?
XcrawlerkidX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Lipo's will give you some more speed as there's more energy coming out than what an NIMH can give you. Pros is that they are lighter, more powerful. Cons is you can burn your RC up, or worse depending on where the lipo fails. They're a lot safer now than years before. I'll be making the switch to them very soon, I already have the charger, just need to pick up some batteries.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

They don't really give you more speed over a comparable nimh but they keep their voltage more constant so your speed stays more constant versus gradually slowing down like a nimh or nicd battery. Since they are lighter they can make your rc faster due to less overall weight though.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 09:46 PM   #6

Like he was saying, for example, a fresh off the charger nimh batt will be at its peak at that point. Now for visual purposes, once you start using that batt its pretty much a 45 degree slope to zero. Its going to be losing its voltage at a moderate rate. Whereas Lipo's will be like a straight line then drastically drop off... Which is the purpose for the voltage cut off.. Once it hits that drop off on the power curve it could really damage the battery. Lipo's are excellent batteries if you take good care of them.. And they will last ALOT longer than the nimh batts... But like i said you HAVE to take care of them in order to get that performance out of them... Have set times on how long you run them, never hit the lipo cut off on your esc.. Store them at 50% and keep them balanced...

Do that and they"ll last a long time
Skunkworkz054 is offline   Reply With Quote