Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: 3racing winch

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 12:06 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default 3racing winch

I did a search, really didn't see the info i wanted.

So, i know they are not the best winch, i don't want the best right now, just functional. I started looking for a wireless controller, didn;t really want to spend more then i spent on the winch. then i found these.

12V 50ft Winch Wireless Remote Control Kit for Truck Jeep ATV Warn Ramsey | eBay

holy crap, for the price, I got two, they are worth a shot. brings up a question though, what is the operating voltage range of the 3racing winch? crappy instructions it comes with show 7.2 or 7.4 volt, i think 2s, so 7.4. is that i guide line? the controller is rated at 12, but is that the output voltage? or does it step down? problem with buying cheap china stuff, you got no clue on the specs most of the time. I have zero experience with full size winches, what do they require for a signal voltage?
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 12:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: 3racing winch

sometimes I act faster then i think. won;t matter if the voltage is a mismatch, i can run the controller off one battery and the winch off another............signal should work right?
Old 07-27-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

thats a real life controller. if it works show us how you hook it up will you.

good idea and im always looking to save a few bucks here n there

id think when plugged into controller with battery then you wouldnt need to plug battery into winch as it should already be getting all the power it needs through the controller
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggreg2011 View Post
thats a real life controller. if it works show us how you hook it up will you.

good idea and im always looking to save a few bucks here n there

id think when plugged into controller with battery then you wouldnt need to plug battery into winch as it should already be getting all the power it needs through the controller

right, my only concern is that the controller will over power the little cheap @$$ motor in the 3racing winch. everything should be fine at 12volt and i could always step it down. I only came up with using a full size controller after i saw an extremely short and un informative video on YouTube where a kid used a warn controller. so it can be done, jsut a matter of figureing out the voltage.
Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
RCC Addict

It would have been much simpler using a Heyok controller.
canadianbacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:32 PM   #6
RCC Addict

.....................that would still require an additional channel, that I don't have. besides, the 3racing comes with a BEC, so again, i wouldn't need that...........
Old 07-27-2012, 03:31 PM   #7
Moderator Rule Breaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docwolf View Post
besides, the 3racing comes with a BEC

They do not come with bec. They come with winch controller.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Which can be configured to eliminate the battery, so it is a battery elimination circuit
Old 07-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

i saw a little key fob looking winch controller on ebay for these
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 04:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
.....................that would still require an additional channel, that I don't have. besides, the 3racing comes with a BEC, so again, i wouldn't need that...........
Heyok does one for a 2 channel radio as well
Sorry for the wrong info, I just remembered the one I have for my son is for a 2 position 3rd channel

Last edited by greenjk; 07-30-2012 at 06:54 PM.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #11
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Which can be configured to eliminate the battery, so it is a battery elimination circuit
Not really following the logic in this statement...

Are you referring to the fact that you can rewire it to take voltage from the receiver over to the battery leads ?

Regardless... nice find on ebay
They are actually rated for 6v-7.2v but I have run my 3racing winches on 3cell for years. The motor will handle it fine, but the additional torque means you should expect some broken gears occasionally... Some are strong and last... others shear off a tooth on the first pull.

When your ebay controller arrives, try it on 2cell... it may actually work.
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 06:36 PM   #12
RCC Addict

okay, got the controllers. keep in mind that i have never worked with a full size winch so i wasn't sure how they were wired. here is what i have now.:

Red:+
white:Out
Yellow:In
Black:-

I haven;t powered it yet, so i am sure i would have a better idea once i do, but i want some input, how would you wire this?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:35 AM   #13
RCC Addict

Appreciate the input guys....

so here is what i came up with:
the out and in wires put out battery voltage - cool
Dis assembly shows that the circuit uses relays - nice
the relys used are 5 pin style - right on!
the 5th pins are not used for a constant ground - bummer
the relays are wired in such away that in the neutral position, power flows through relay 1 to relay 2, relay 2's 5th pin is unused. This creates a safety circuit of sorts, in other words, it prevents you from trying to run the winch in both directions at the same time - okay, acceptable.

What i came up with is adding two more relays to the mix. wire them so that in neutral they both go to ground, when excited, they go to positive. just ordered 10 relays for 35 bucks (have some other projects i need to do) most likely i will wire the coil and feed circuit to the same source so that when you hit the button, relay 1A excites and powers relay 1B while relay 2A stays neutral and relay 2B acts as ground completing my circuit. this will allow me to retain my safeties and still get full control. i will have less them 10 bucks in a wireless winch controller.

Last edited by Docwolf; 08-21-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Old 08-22-2012, 01:05 AM   #14
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

I'm not following why you added the extra relays... maybe I need more sleep. Can you explain what was missing from the initial product?
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 09:35 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Can you show us a picture of what you end up with?
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 11:54 AM   #16
RCC Addict

I will post pics and diagrams once it all together and working. i have eliminated the controller that comes with the winch, i should have mentioned that. there was no way to get the proper signal to use the controller, so the idea here is to reverse the polarity of the winch to get your feed and run. the 5 post relay allows me to do this the most effective way i know how.

let me know if this clears it up lol, this is fast and dirty diagram

Old 08-22-2012, 11:59 AM   #17
RCC Addict

keep in mind, this system is independent of the on the trucks RX, this is nicely packaged unit with a solid little key fob controller made with a nice brushed stainless housing. is this the best method? for me yes, you, maybe not. it get me around having to invest in a rx/tx combo right now ( have my reasons for not wanting to at this point) i have like 11 bucks in the controller.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzi View Post
I'm not following why you added the extra relays... maybe I need more sleep. Can you explain what was missing from the initial product?
There is nothing missing from the initial product. This winch remote control design for 12Vdc real size winch.

Input 12Vdc (-)Black & (+)Red) from Battery

Output +12Vdc White/FW and +12Vdc Yellow/RW with common ground -- connect to double coil winch motor (real)

To work with single coil RC winch, we have to replace 2 SPDT/SPST relay in side RX with 2 DPDT. -- Let me get some vid of mod.
btw: it works with 6Vdc...
Mad_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:25 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad_Owl View Post
There is nothing missing from the initial product. This winch remote control design for 12Vdc real size winch.

Input 12Vdc (-)Black & (+)Red) from Battery

Output +12Vdc White/FW and +12Vdc Yellow/RW with common ground -- connect to double coil winch motor (real)

To work with single coil RC winch, we have to replace 2 SPDT/SPST relay in side RX with 2 DPDT. -- Let me get some vid of mod.
btw: it works with 6Vdc...

I opted for adding relays rather then replacing so i don't have to try and desolder from the board. i suppose one could baypass them.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:37 PM   #20

Quote:
I opted for adding relays rather then replacing so i don't have to try and desolder from the board. i suppose one could baypass them.
Yup, you can mod that way by adding those relays; However, they won't fit inside the original box...
Mad_Owl is offline   Reply With Quote

3racing winch - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Who sells Warn winch decals for 3racing winch? Wild Snapper Scale Accessories 6 12-03-2009 06:38 PM