Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Steering servo help..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #1

Default Steering servo help..

I just bought my first scale crawler today. It's custom built and I'm not exactly sure what steering servo it has, but it has the scx-10 transmission on a Tamiya high lift body... So I was out crawling over a stump and flipped it over backwards and landed on its top. Now the steering only turns one way. Or it wants to lock to one side.. So my question is, did I break something? Or is there a way to adjust the alignment or something? Thanks for any info guys. I can't wait to get it back up and going. What little time I played with it today was excellent!!
Bobbyocean is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2012, 10:47 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Steering servo help..

I would disconnect the servo arm from the rest of the steering and see what the servo does when "steering it" with the radio.
You may have stripped off some teeth from one or more gears.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #3

Thanks Charlie. I disconnected everything and it works as it should. So that means I need to replace it right? It's plasti-dipped so I can't tell if it's a good servo or just a cheap one. Either way I got it for a song and a dance so I'm not complaining.
Old 07-29-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbyocean View Post
Thanks Charlie. I disconnected everything and it works as it should. So that means I need to replace it right? It's plasti-dipped so I can't tell if it's a good servo or just a cheap one. Either way I got it for a song and a dance so I'm not complaining.
Pics would help greatly but if it is working as it should with the steering link dissconnected, try and reconnect to rig and see if it works as it should with no resistance to the front steering. Keep the front off the ground and try to steer left and right. Then put it down and try as well.
Good luck, I think I just fried a 100 dollar servo (Savox 1268SG) wont work at all. Damn thing.
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
The servo worked, or the steering linkage worked?

I would also check the linkage itself, you may be having a bind developing.

I would also double check the steering EPA's so you are not overworking the servo, that's a fast way to kill one.

Are you running an external BEC? My rule of thumb is you really want one (most of us use a Castle Creations 10A BEC) when you hit ~200inoz.
Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #6

It was a stripped steering horn. Replaced it with a metal one and shes doing great. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 07-29-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
It was a stripped steering horn. Replaced it with a metal one and she's doing great. Thanks for the help guys.
Great that you found the issue.
What horn/arm did you use?
As a cheapie, I use & recommend the GH Racing clamping ones. They are also known as Golden Horizons.
Robitronics & Imex (?) are top of the line, but cost more.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:01 AM   #8

Awesome. When this one wears out (or I break it lol) I will look in to that. I do believe this ones made by Hot bodies. It's all aluminum and was 7 bones after tax. Not sure if that's good or not? Lol. But I'm just stoked to have it going again. Now I'm reading up on batteries. It came with 2 Lipos but no charger. So I'm not sure if I want to spend more on a charger and stick with Lipos, or just switch to the cheaper Nimh or whatever those other ones are... I'll probably stick with Lipos but we shall see.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:28 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Stick with LiPO........you can get a decent charger for low $$. Just search for "charger", lots of recent replies.
Old 07-30-2012, 12:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

+1 on going with LiPos. Stay with them and get a quality charger. Charger is one of the items I wouldn't skimp on.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note (Phablet)
AsILayDying is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:08 PM   #11
RCC Addict

dont bother with NiMh!!!
i am currently using a 7.2v 3300MaH and it hardly moves my vxl3s at all!

waste, go LiPo, i will be!!
SwampDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 01:53 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I have a similar question....well....it's at least related to servos and non-momvement. Currently running a Hitec HS5995TG wired directly to a CCBEC that's set to output @ 7V. Also running the RTR Wraith ESC (AE-2) and a 7.4V 5000mah 2S Lipo. Every now and then, sometimes more often than not, my steering stops working, almost like it's overheating. I have had issues lately with my motor getting hot because of a bind somewhere in the drivetrain, so is it possible that the motor has been taking most of the voltage from the battery, not leaving enough to run through the BEC to the servo? Is it possible I need to run an 11.1V battery as opposed to a 7.4V? I'm at a loss for what's going on with my servo, as it usually happens at times when I really need my steering.
Sh0rtBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 05:58 PM   #13

Sticking with the Lipo for sure. Prices aren't that bad at all. You guys rock. Thanks a heap.

Steering servo help.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering Servo/Dig Servo Questions YJJPWrangler Electronics 5 02-02-2011 10:59 PM
Mamba max, 11.1 1350 mil 25c, 5955tg steering servo, 5645mg dig servo BEAU Electronics 5 01-21-2009 02:36 PM
steering servo help maxxrookie Newbie General 5 07-11-2008 06:37 AM