Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: tekin fxr is silent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default tekin fxr is silent

my fxr seems to work but doesnt chime and never has ive only run two packs through it and all seems well.Should i be concerned?
fast540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: tekin fxr is silent

The ESC does not make a sound, it's the motor that it's hooked up to. What motor, what condition is it, when did you last check the comm & brushes??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast540 View Post
my fxr seems to work but doesnt chime and never has ive only run two packs through it and all seems well.Should i be concerned?
I wouldn't be concerned at all. I've had quite a few of them, some chimed, some didn't. I never really cared enough to investigate why though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
The ESC does not make a sound, it's the motor that it's hooked up to. What motor, what condition is it, when did you last check the comm & brushes??
Do you actually own one?
8-454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8-454 View Post
I wouldn't be concerned at all. I've had quite a few of them, some chimed, some didn't. I never really cared enough to investigate why though.

Do you actually own one?
He is right, the ESC does not make the chime, the windings in the motor do as they are pulsed by the ESC. Normally if they don't chime, they don't drive the motor. Curious as to how many have seen this?
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:49 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

Hey Ty, mine started to do it after running for 3 hours in 100 degree weather. I suspect it has to do with the motor. At times I would pull the throtle and get nothing, then had to push the rig to manually start the motor moving then the rig would go. I don't know about motors yet but I'm guessing I need to change the brushes on mine.
Propane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Propane View Post
Hey Ty, mine started to do it after running for 3 hours in 100 degree weather. I suspect it has to do with the motor. At times I would pull the throtle and get nothing, then had to push the rig to manually start the motor moving then the rig would go. I don't know about motors yet but I'm guessing I need to change the brushes on mine.

Most likely your motor will need a good rebuilding, comm cut and brushes replaced. What kind and brand of motor?
scatterbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:19 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
He is right, the ESC does not make the chime, the windings in the motor do as they are pulsed by the ESC. Normally if they don't chime, they don't drive the motor. Curious as to how many have seen this?
Hmm. I was not aware of that. I own six fxr's and one fxr pro and not all of them chime, but still operate perfectly.

Are you saying that they sense feedback from a motor before they are armed?

Just to be clear, are we talking about the arming chime or the motor noise when creeping?
Old 08-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The chimes are made by the motor, the ESC pulses the motor really fast and it makes noise. I wonder how long it took to get the chime right, had to be some trial and error there.

Also if you swap to a different motor (different brand or turn) you will be able to tell the difference in the sound it makes.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:29 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Do you actually own one?
No, I own 4 of them.

Two of them are in my 2.2 Bully.
Old 08-01-2012, 10:54 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No, I own 4 of them.
Touche.

I guess I'm still not understanding how you and Ty can say that its not the esc chiming. But when you turn them on the chime is clearly coming from the esc.

Granted I can understand that it only makes this sound when it senses that a motor is hooked up. But it not making a sound and still working just fine is contradicting to what should be happening as Ty@tekin said about no sound no work.

I wasn't concerned before, but now I'm curious.
Old 08-01-2012, 11:00 PM   #11
RCC Addict

the motor windings act like a speaker against the magnet, so when you turn on the esc, it uses the motor like a speaker and bleeps or whatever it does (i dont have a tekin, but every ESC ive had does the same thing each in a different way)
if theres no motor attatched, it wont beep. so if the motor is attatched, and still not beeping. either the ESC has cacked it, or the motor has. unless of course, there is a way to turn the beep off on the tekin. (not that i know why you would want that...)

edit:
the wierd part is, you say it still works. so you lost me on that part.

edit2: if your interested, try hooking a motor to an amplifier. you will hear music. just dont crank it up, motors tend not to like AC power....

Last edited by klampykixx; 08-01-2012 at 11:02 PM.
klampykixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #12
RCC Addict

+1

The chime pulse comes from the ESC, yes, but the actual sound comes from the motor windings.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 11:46 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Now you guys have me wanting to turn on my scaler and listen to where the chime is coming from! I would have sworn the noises came from the ESC.
BigSki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 04:33 AM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Touche.

I guess I'm still not understanding how you and Ty can say that its not the esc chiming. But when you turn them on the chime is clearly coming from the esc.

Granted I can understand that it only makes this sound when it senses that a motor is hooked up. But it not making a sound and still working just fine is contradicting to what should be happening as Ty@tekin said about no sound no work.

I wasn't concerned before, but now I'm curious.
Most ESC's we use have no speakers, thus no sound if no motor connected.
I can understand your concern about not hearing the chime, but I wouldn't worry about it if it appears to be working. You may have worn brushes, low brush spring tension, etc. That may explain the "no chime".

Hope that helps. I'm not trying to come off as a PITA, but it happens anyway......
Old 08-03-2012, 06:46 AM   #15
RCC Addict

Having been using Tekin products since almost forever I have found that some motors are loud and some are quiet and a few almost make no noise at all.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 09:24 AM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Most ESC's we use have no speakers, thus no sound if no motor connected.
I can understand your concern about not hearing the chime, but I wouldn't worry about it if it appears to be working. You may have worn brushes, low brush spring tension, etc. That may explain the "no chime".

Hope that helps. I'm not trying to come off as a PITA, but it happens anyway......
No concern here. The Op asked if he should be concerned. I was mainly curious about it.

Klampykixx answered my question about the motor actually making the sound. An explanation of this is all I was after.

As for the one that is silent or too quite to hear I believe might just be low spring tension.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AreCee View Post
Having been using Tekin products since almost forever I have found that some motors are loud and some are quiet and a few almost make no noise at all.
I did go through a few and noticed a sound level difference.

tekin fxr is silent - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Mamba Max , Tekin FXR or Tekin FXR PRO? TheHeadHunter Electronics 21 06-21-2012 08:15 AM
Tekin FXR and FXR-pro ESCs in stock JohnRobHolmes Holmes Hobbies 35 09-17-2009 09:40 PM