Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: sidewinder sv2 magic smoke

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 06:21 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default sidewinder sv2 magic smoke

I was putting around the yard today with my Trailfinder2, Running a Traxxas 21t brushed and a 3s 25c 2200 lipo. don't even have a full pack through this set-up yet. After a few minutes the motor starts cutting out. I figure maybe I forgot to charge up the battery. When I walk over to the truck, white smoke is coming out of the cab. I couldn't pull the battery cause it's under the body of the TF2 and the body is held on by screws, so I just switched off the power switch and for some reason unplugged the motor wires.

When I took the sidewinder apart it looked pretty good inside, no noticeable damage. I hooked it up to a 2s battery and it seamed to work.

Any chance this thing will be OK?
I'll probably put it in another vehicle on 2S only.
Although rated for 3s is that too much for these ESCs?

thanks
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: sidewinder sv2 magic smoke

I am running a SV2 in my trailfinder with a 35t motor and it does get hot. It wasnt so bad with the stock wheels/tires but I put on a set of 1.9 tsl's and it gets hot in about 5 minutes to the point where it starts to give up as you described. I think I am going to swap to a smaller pinion and possibly put a fan on the ESC to try and keep the temps in check. This thing is plenty fast so dropping a couple teeth on the pinion gear shouldnt be that bad.

Anyone know what kind of pinion these things use? I tried meshing u a 32p and it was way off, I am thinking mod 1.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:03 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Welcome to the "I smoked an SV2" club. I'm surprised it works at all, most electronics won't once you let the magic smoke out. You may as well send it in to Castle if it's still under warranty, just don't tell them if your running less than 30C packs as they will blame your batts and deny warrantee. Ask me how it know...

I smoked three of them running mild 35-55 turn motors on 2s. I cannot recommend an SV2 for any brushed motor, they simply won't hold up. I do however have the SCT version running a 3800 4 pole brushless that has almost fifty packs on it now.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:16 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatmonkey View Post
Welcome to the "I smoked an SV2" club. I'm surprised it works at all, most electronics won't once you let the magic smoke out. You may as well send it in to Castle if it's still under warranty, just don't tell them if your running less than 30C packs as they will blame your batts and deny warrantee. Ask me how it know...

I smoked three of them running mild 35-55 turn motors on 2s. I cannot recommend an SV2 for any brushed motor, they simply won't hold up. I do however have the SCT version running a 3800 4 pole brushless that has almost fifty packs on it now.
They are literally the same ESC...
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

My sv2 let smoke.out in small amounts 4 times. It would run, smoke out, wait a bit plug it up in aboht an hour run again for the rest if the day. Did that four times. After the forth.it finally went and took my lipo with it. I.guess the last time it shorted out cuz it smoked, walked over and while.i was turning the switch off and about ti unplug.battery it started to.puff and eventually burst as i didnt unpkug it.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using Tapatalk 2
masonis1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I use to bring my SV2 to thermal shutdown almost every time when I ran one in my Mini E-Revo that I put a 1/10 brushless motor in, but I never did have it smoke. It just kept on going somehow, lol
iamsuperbleeder is offline   Reply With Quote

sidewinder sv2 magic smoke - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
magic smoke? crawler_noob Axial Wraith 7 01-27-2012 01:34 PM
Magic smoke Zander1422 Axial Wraith 5 10-17-2011 05:05 PM
out came the magic smoke/need help discgolferlee Electronics 4 01-28-2009 11:39 AM
magic smoke...... muddeprived Electronics 14 06-13-2007 09:34 AM