Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Water proofing failure not the end?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Water proofing failure not the end?

Like most here on Rcc I enjoy taking my crawler through the mud and water. Who doesn't? And like most I took the precautions to water proof my rig. However, my waterproofing has failed me not once, but twice. The first time the balloon that I was using sprung a leak. I decased my receiver and placed it in a bowl of rice over night. To my relief it dried itself out and was good as new. So...

I decided to encase it in plastic and seal it with silicone. I fashioned a "waterproof" case out of a pill bottle. Somehow water got in again and it sat for days. Today when I plugged my truck in nothing happened. Of course more water.

Again I decased my receiver and took a look. This time I thought I was too late. I could see that the leads on the back side of the board had corroded together.

Since I thought the receiver was junk I decided that I would try a crazy plan. I cleaned the corrosion off with rubbing alcohol and q tips.

Plugged it in and presto. It is alive again. Morral of the story. Don't give up on swamped electronics. You never know what might work.

Since I have never seen a thread about this feel free to post up any onther methods that have helped your water logged electronics.

Hope this helps someone else on a budget.

Adam
avanord is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2012, 07:23 PM   #2
RCC Addict

I work in the automotive elec sector.
We use alcohol to clean boards with. Think of putting gasline antifreeze in you yank in winter. It is another type of alchol that also absorbs water.

We use urethane and acrylic coatings to waterproof boards that see moisture or other.
Google "humiseal". They make thick and thin coatings.

I pull my servos appart and use synthetic grease around the main shaft where it exits through the bearing. Then sandwich a tight Oring between the horn and case. The little bit of grease that leaks, keeps the Oring sliding well. The spray with 'plastdip', along seams and around the wir gommet.
Sent from my U20a
sweli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Water proofing failure not the end?

Thanks for the tips. I am not sure how I knew to use alcohol. I think my dad used it one time when I helped him fix something. He is a machine repair tech for an engine company. I have learned a lot watching him fix things.

As for the stuff you were talking about I will have to go online and look that up.

Thanks again
Adam.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:37 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Yep had a couple different rx's and an mmp come back to life from sitting in rice, as well as a couple buddies rx's... rice is life. Been packing the rx's in high vacuum silicone grease recently, seems to work.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Rice for life....saved my submarine run ....and not by choice
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

for rx's i always wrap them 1st with papertowel then some package tape then a bag or balloon for you then 1 more time with package tape.....ive never once got water in em. (papertowel for condensation that can start in the bag)

tamiya toyota land cruiser 40 cc-01 through the concrete river - YouTube

1ST TEST RC BLAZER, yupppp - YouTube
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 04:36 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggreg2011 View Post
for rx's i always wrap them 1st with papertowel then some package tape then a bag or balloon for you then 1 more time with package tape.....ive never once got water in em. (papertowel for condensation that can start in the bag)

tamiya toyota land cruiser 40 cc-01 through the concrete river - YouTube

1ST TEST RC BLAZER, yupppp - YouTube
I actually thought about putting rice in my homemade plastic case with mine for condensation. Or just in case a drip of water was able to get in. I didn't do it though. Hopefully I have it sealed well enough this time that it won't matter.
Old 08-01-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

there are a bunch of threads here on water proofing every electric device we use with you tube links of how to video's ....i find doing each piece is better then trying to wrap them up in stuff........bob

bob1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 12:59 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I have seen many threads about waterproofing. It was not my origional intent to start a thread on how to waterproof. I was posting up that my waterproofing failed and I was able to find a way to salvage it 2x. I had never seen a thread talking about that. It is nice that people posted up how they have waterproofed, but I am more interested in the last ditch efforts that have been taken when the waterproofing has failed.

Most things that I have seen say throw it away and not many have suggested any possible fixes to electronics that have gotten wet. If you have any suggestions that have resurrected your drowned electronics feel free to post up.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:03 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

i did understand where you were going, but after reading many posts on how electronic boxes and ballons failed and people had to replace stuff or go the drying out hassle route....i just wanted to aviod that route and went the way i posted bout....that way i can place any of my electronics any where without the bulk of them in a single box or ballons ........bob

Old 08-02-2012, 11:54 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob1961 View Post
i did understand where you were going, but after reading many posts on how electronic boxes and ballons failed and people had to replace stuff or go the drying out hassle route....i just wanted to aviod that route and went the way i posted bout....that way i can place any of my electronics any where without the bulk of them in a single box or ballons ........bob

Oh ok. I agree about the bulk. I am starting a new build and was thinking about decasing my esc and water proffing it decased. Mainly for the fact that it is going to be a scale bug with an interior. (Not gonna be alot of extra space there) What exactly do you use to water proof and do you decase or not?
Old 08-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #12
RCC Addict

Look up a product called corrosion X. Lots of vids on you tube and some stuff on here.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:13 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Will do. Thanks.
Old 08-02-2012, 10:16 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

i use plasti-dip in the can and dip stuff in it like my un shrink wrapped BEC and servos case....i decased my spek 3100 TX and dipped it as well, just left the pins un dipped where the plugs go........bob

Water proofing failure not the end? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
water proofing? Gunngee Tamiya CR-01 5 01-11-2012 05:44 PM
FX-R water proofing ? snohiker Electronics 3 01-08-2012 03:43 PM
water proofing 03ssilverado Electronics 2 03-20-2008 07:49 PM
water proofing? dipstick Tamiya Clod Buster 31 12-16-2006 05:31 PM
Water Proofing!!!! TeeLTee Electronics 5 10-31-2005 05:36 AM