Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: ESC suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2012, 07:33 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default ESC suggestions

I have spent quite a bit of time researching this (more than my wife would like ;) ) and still am not sure of the direction to go. I am just getting back into RC and would like to build 2 crawlers. I am planning on doing a Wraith over the winter with some pretty decent electronics. For now I just want to build a cheap crawler/basher/all around offroad rig. My plan has been finalized to do a Venom Creeper kit with 1.9s (more of a scale look). I absolutely plan on this thing seeing mud and water. My first decision is to get a waterproof esc or buy one and put it in a sealed container (really don't understand how guys get away with it considering the lack of air flow, but if it works it works). As much as I am not a fan of Traxxas, it sounds like the XL5 might be okay for what I am looking for (and can be had for a pretty reasonable price used or even new on ebay). Am I missing other options within a $40ish price range? Having no forward to reverse delay would be nice (especially for mud), but from what I have found most of those ESCs are out of the price range for this project. Thanks for any input.
rockhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: ESC suggestions

Mamba micro pro in a balloon?
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Look at the castle sv2, its good for brushed and brushless, its not labeled as waterproof, but ive had mine submerged a dozen times or more with no issues. Plus it has a drag brake.. you may want that at some point verses free roll. You can balloon it too for added security!
summervillecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:00 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

DO NOT GET AN SV2 for any crawler use.

They do not like brushed motors. I had three let the magic smoke out while powering 35-55 turn lathe motors off of 2s batteries with low gearing. Not a one lasted more than a couple monthes. They seem like a good deal for a programmable ESC, but they just don't last. Mine always ran hot with prolonged crawling. The BEC will practically immeadiately cause the ESC to brown out when used with a 3s pack.

Do yourself a favor and skip the Traxxas junk. It lacks drag brake and IMO doesn't have super smooth low end control.

I'm a cheap skate, and that said, the Holmes BRXL has been worth every penny. Get it with the sportmaster 35 turn combo and it's a fairly good deal, especially for what you get. It'll run literally any RC brushed motor with up to a 6s pack. I got mine waterproofed for the extra ten bucks and regularly submerge it.

Electronics are one part of the truck where you will save money in the long run by purchasing quality components the first time around. I learned the hard way. Hopefully you don't have to.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2012, 01:24 PM   #5
RCC Addict

That's a second on the HH BRXL. It is cheaper to do it right the first time than having to replace a cheap ESC that burnt out after a few runs.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
ahhh S^*T

thats NOT in the 40 dollar range hes talking about, but ok!!..

yes brxl is the best there is for brushed anything. if you want to buy the handwound with it even better yet. but thats far from a 40 dollar "works for now" set-up. more like 180.00...or at leased, 140.00 with the sport motor. even used.

castle sv2's are fine as long as you run a BEC, and thats only IF your going to be running 3s. if your just running 2s or 7.2 stick your going to be fine, they have done very well for me in all my rigs and can infact go under water out of the box and be fine, dip it in sealer and even better yet! with the newest software and the "crawler" drag brake, brushed OR brushless motors, 3s capable, somewhat small, and water resistant they rock! and can be had on fleabay for 45.00.

or, go with a sidewinder micro or micro-pro, they love running 540 35t and up brushed motors on 2-3s lipo. BEC along with it and even better yet depending on how amp hungry your servo is.

your best bet IMO for brushed/CHEAP, is go to the wanted section here, put in an add that says you want a stock ESC from a wraith/honcho, its the AE-2 esc and it works awesome along with a BEC for 3s has a decent stock BEC and is waterproof, the board is covered or something but you should waterproof it anyways for added yeah.
can be had for about 25-40 bucks, leaves you enough cash to grab a CC 10a BEC, and off you go!
just got one in the forsale section for 25 bucks

and another option, (I have used on a 540) is a stock losi MRC esc, did great for me in a heavy scaler with a 45t 540 motor, has 2s cutoff, and a drag brake.
can be had for 20-40 bucks.

even if you dont need this info anymore I hope it will help someone.
AxialJeepster is offline   Reply With Quote

ESC suggestions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motor and ESC suggestions painter4x4 RC4WD Trail Finder 2 5 06-23-2012 08:12 AM
dual ESC chassis suggestions??? bajabugn66 RC4WD Bully 2 01-10-2012 07:52 PM
ESC Suggestions nsg1rc Newbie General 8 10-16-2009 10:12 PM
motor/esc suggestions LS1Armyboy General Crawlers 1 07-05-2009 09:22 AM
My WK is out of commssion! ESC suggestions? Sasquatchbagger HPI Wheely King 17 02-21-2008 03:30 PM