Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MAC compatible

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2012, 01:31 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default MAC compatible

Does anyone know if the castle link or tekin hotwire is MAC compatible? I pic up my new MAC BOOK PRO 15" this weekend and I looked on each site and nothing is said about MAC.
donhd04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: MAC compatible

Not really...but if you use parallels or boot camp and windows 7/XP all should work.
binaryterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 02:12 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryterror View Post
Not really...but if you use parallels or boot camp and windows 7/XP all should work.
my face looks like sloth from goonies right now. I am totally lost. not your fault though. Now do what? Whats boot camp and what is in parallels?
Old 08-13-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
RCC Addict

They allow you to boot Win XP or 7 on your Mac.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:02 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I had no idea. I thought I wasn't allowed. Shows how much I know.
Old 08-13-2012, 07:28 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by donhd04 View Post
I had no idea. I thought I wasn't allowed. Shows how much I know.
I just had a site customer ask if they could load our (company I work for) software on a IPad......."Sorry, it's a PC/Windows world".

Yes, boot camp, parallels and a couple of others allow use of a "Windows OS" to load, usually as a "virtual" machine.

Maybe the best bet is to get a cheap Windows XP PC/laptop to do RC & automotive stuff.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:31 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I just had a site customer ask if they could load our (company I work for) software on a IPad......."Sorry, it's a PC/Windows world".

Yes, boot camp, parallels and a couple of others allow use of a "Windows OS" to load, usually as a "virtual" machine.

Maybe the best bet is to get a cheap Windows XP PC/laptop to do RC & automotive stuff.
I spoke with a APPLE rep last night on the phone and they said it would be absolutely NO PROBLEM what so ever. There is nothing that a Windows based pc can do that a MAC can't do the same or better, so Im not to worried about it. She said what ever it is, just give them a call when I get the mac book and they would walk me thru it over the phone. So Im good. I don't even get the computer till saturday so I got a day or so.

But thanks for all the help guys. I would have never known to ask about "boot camp" "parralells" and all that had not been for Yall's knowledge. Again thanks.
Old 08-14-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post

Ya know now that you mention that, my wife asked me last night about a small cheap laptop pc that she can use for her classroom for just email and one program for 2 yr olds that she teaches. Got any recommendations?
Old 08-14-2012, 06:54 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Ya know now that you mention that, my wife asked me last night about a small cheap laptop pc that she can use for her classroom for just email and one program for 2 yr olds that she teaches. Got any recommendations?
I use Dell or IBM/Lenovo refurb's for "cheap stuff". They typically come with a basic warranty and are a lot cheaper than new.
In my case, I usually have old PC's or laptops I can use for basic stuff.

Windows XP (home or Pro) should handle whatever you need and work with pretty much any software you need.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:28 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I use the castle link all the time on my mac book pro. I do have VMware fusion loaded which allows me to run any other operating system I want though. So I run an XP virtual machine which will run circles around XP on any other machine. I forgot what VM fusion cost but it was mandatory for me to have due to business requirements. This lets me run the MAC OS at the same time as any other OS I want and I can even run multiple OS's at the same time. For example I have the following OS's running now. Mac OS Lion, Windows XP, A few Linux distro's including Backtrack which is what I use for some of the Pen testing and ethical hacking. It doesn't slow the machine down at all with roughly 5 operating systems running at the same time. Also if you do need to use Windows for anything you have it right there and all it takes is a command-tab press and I can switch over to the windows side or the mac side. Let me know if you have any questions about the setup. I'm not the best at PC stuff but have been a Sr. Network engineer for the past 13 years.

EDIT: Looks like VMware fusion is 49.00 and you can actually download a free trial version to make the initial changes with castle link. Then buy it later if you see the need. You will need a copy of XP or what ever OS you want to run. XP IMO is the most stable, skip vista and maybe go with Windows 7 if you want the newer stuff.

Last edited by irokcrawl; 08-14-2012 at 08:35 AM.
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:31 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Honestly a small netbook would be the way to go (if she will have wireless connectivity where she is at). Light, cheap, easy to check email and will run a few programs with ease.
irokcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #12
RCC Addict

you can do VMplayer for free. but now you have to maintain two OS licenses, course in October you can buy win8 for 40 bucks. personally it seems pointless to buy a over priced Apple product just to turn around, purchase an over price piece of software like Parallels and then purchase a windows OS. If you need Windows, buy Windows. and now, you are not running a castle link on your MAC, you are running a castle link of bastardized copy of windows running with in a terrible environment. to say that windows runs better as a virtual shows your lack of knowledge of computers and visualization. Vsphere and HyperV are the only VMs that work well and that is only because they specialized server solutions. VMware is close, but still struggles.
Docwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

MAC compatible - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mac or pc Kranberry Chit Chat 22 11-17-2007 04:57 PM