Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Axial AE-2 ESC Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Axial AE-2 ESC Question

OK, just want to confirm this, I have a couple of the Axial AE-2 ESC's and I have the Castlelink and I have been messing with the programming. Can you run a brushless motor with this ESC ? ON the motor settings, they only show 2 choices, brushed reversable and high power motor. I'm guessing the high power one would be a brushless motor? Just want to confirm....thanks.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 07:22 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Axial AE-2 ESC Question

It will only run a brushed motor.
DudeWalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:27 AM   #3
RCC Addict

What would the "high power" mtor option be for then? I tied to get the info from axial...got nothing....
Old 08-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
What would the "high power" mtor option be for then? I tied to get the info from axial...got nothing....
The "high power" is for when you DON'T want reverse, not something we want in crawling. Don't use high power for a crawler.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 07:58 AM   #5
RCC Addict

I atcually took the esc out of my wraith and stuck it in my old RC10 with a Trinity Cobalt 27t motor. You set the no reverse in that particular settings section. It works great as a car ESC because you can program it accordingly. Just want to know if if I had the ption t go brushless at some point.

I'm upgrading the Wraith t the Tekin ESC / brushed motor.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #6
RCC Addict

If you want to go brushless you'll need a brushless ESC. The AE-2 is actually quite good for brushed and I like mine a lot. When you do go brushless it's best to buy an ESC that is sensored so you can run a motor with a sensor. Many of the less expensive controllers omit the sensor part and you have no way to connect it.

Basically, the sensor allows the ESC to have better control of the motor so it knows where the rotor is in it's rotation. What does this mean in English? Sensored ESC/motor combo is better for crawling because you have low speed control.

Popular choices for that type of ESC are Tekin RS or RX8, Castle Mamba Max Pro (MMP for short) and some of us have recently started playing around wiht the controllers from BrushlessHobbies.com.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDMM View Post
I atcually took the esc out of my wraith and stuck it in my old RC10 with a Trinity Cobalt 27t motor. You set the no reverse in that particular settings section. It works great as a car ESC because you can program it accordingly. Just want to know if if I had the option to go brushless at some point.

I'm upgrading the Wraith t the Tekin ESC / brushed motor.
Setting "no reverse" in the ESC is a bit different from wiring it "high powered". High powered can get a bit more performance, but makes it so you CAN'T use reverse, regardless of how you program the ESC.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 09:57 AM   #8
RCC Addict

So when you do high powered wiring mode on the AE-2 do you wire it like the regular sidewinder? http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

In that you stick all 3 wires on the + side of the motor and negative of motor goes direct to negative of battery. For AE-2 I'm wondering how it would be wired since it's brushed only.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 03:11 PM   #9
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
So when you do high powered wiring mode on the AE-2 do you wire it like the regular sidewinder? http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

In that you stick all 3 wires on the + side of the motor and negative of motor goes direct to negative of battery. For AE-2 I'm wondering how it would be wired since it's brushed only.
the regular sidewinder has three wires out to the motor, the ae-2 doesn't, I see that now. Its wired for burshed motors, only.

Axial AE-2 ESC Question - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial Wraith motor and ESC question 2-shot Newbie General 11 10-06-2014 02:17 PM
Axial XR10 and Axial AE-2 esc stoopid noobie question shelbyzz Newbie General 3 06-14-2012 06:34 AM
*** Axial AE-2 ESC Voltage Question *** Cmace23 Newbie General 16 04-17-2011 10:34 PM
is the traxxas xl-5 esc a good starter esc for axial kit Misfit7734 Electronics 5 04-21-2009 03:59 PM