Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: MOST water friendly 35t Brushed, Inexpensive to rebrush and rebearing,

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Question MOST water friendly 35t Brushed, Inexpensive to rebrush and rebearing,

As the title says, Im looking for the most water friendly brushed motor. I know, I know, Brushed motors run in water no problem, some better than others though. I have been running 35t HPI motors for about a year, When the bearings go bad, I Replace the motor, Its 11 bucks...

I am looking for a decent motor to handle 3 or 4s lipo. The HPI runs great on 2s, but 3s burns it up in about 20 minutes. I run in and around water quite a bit in the lowcountry, so the thought of 50 bucks for a motor stings quite a bit. It would sting less if it is easy to replace bearings, and not real expensive either.

I sometimes have a hard time with responses. Please include experience and facts. Please dont just throw an opinion out there cause we all know what those are like....

Thanks alot yall!!!!!

Tracey
summervillecrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-2012, 03:34 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: MOST water friendly 35t Brushed, Inexpensive to rebrush and rebearing,

Sounds like a 35t Integy motor would fit you well. Cheaper than tearing up a good handwound. I run mine on 3S.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: MOST water friendly 35t Brushed, Inexpensive to rebrush and rebearing,

Ok I will look into it, thanks Devil Inc. Any other suggestions?
Old 08-25-2012, 06:33 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The Brood Stump Humper is what I consider the best budget scale motor to be had. A 550 can gives you more power, it is serviceable, and its $35. Plus Brood service and innovation are second to none. He was building motors when most of us were still in grade school.

Last edited by The Violator; 08-25-2012 at 06:36 PM.
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

That's a new one, Violator, I will consider that one, in the future for my rig. Do you know what wind counts available? Don't see anything listed.

Last edited by Devil Inc; 08-25-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devil Inc View Post
That's a new one, Violator, I will consider that one, in the future for my rig. Do you know what wind counts available? Don't see anything listed.
From EddieO himself

The stump humper is a 12t 550......I can also put a handwound 12t or 14t arm in it for $15 more
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:08 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

The stump humper would be a solid choice if your after the 550 type motor, if not my Intensity 35t machine wounds are also inexpensive, rebuildable and can be upgraded to handwound arms too...

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:56 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

EddieO, I am talking with Ryan about your 35T Intensity right now, that looks like What I am going to try out. Thank you for the info!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:50 AM   #9
owner, Holmes Hobbies LLC

My "cheapest" rebuildable motor is currently the TorqueMaster Sport. Compared to similar priced motors it has much better quality. Japan made, fb9 magnets, and a high quality rotor. It is certainly my most popular motor in terms of sales as well.
JohnRobHolmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

The sport has Fb9 magnets now? If so, what's really the difference between it and the expert besides some endbell hardware?

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 10:57 AM   #11
RCC Addict

Always remember the dirtier the water, the harder it is on your motor. Dirt is an abrasive, the rest of the math is easy.

Always taking care to clean and lube your motor after running in water is good practice to insure longevity.
TexasSP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 11:27 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieO View Post
The sport has Fb9 magnets now? If so, what's really the difference between it and the expert besides some endbell hardware?

Later EddieO

Has since TokyoMech went under and we started the Expert line. The difference is I inspect and service the Expert motors, the Sport is just packaged so we can keep the cost lower and help people have quality parts .
Old 08-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #13
Got Worms?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRobHolmes View Post
My "cheapest" rebuildable motor is currently the TorqueMaster Sport. Compared to similar priced motors it has much better quality. Japan made, fb9 magnets, and a high quality rotor. It is certainly my most popular motor in terms of sales as well.
Just curious, but what about your trailmaster motor? I know its not a budget motor, but i'm guessing it was designed around being used in dirty water?...I haven't seen any threads on it.
losikid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #14

The trailmaster has rubber shielded bearings, rust preventative coatings, and we are playing around with some parts to help prevent broken wires from ingressed debris. It is designed for dirt and water use. I'll be bringing in sport and expert versions soon as well, and then bumping up the Pro version to all Japanese construction since they are marginally more expensive with handwinding but massively higher quality. I'm still playing around with the product line a bit.
Old 08-27-2012, 02:33 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Run outerwears over the motor 2 help with the dirt
tklatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 04:38 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

The longest lasting motor when run in water, in my experience thus far, has been the Integy 55 turn. It lasted almost twice as long as the several Integy 35 turns I've worn out. I don't normally recommend Integy products, but their motors have been good to me for my muck running, submersible rig on 2s only.

The shortest lasting has been an HPI firebolt 15 turn. Got less than an hour of water play with it.

Two things to remember about motor wear. One is that more volts = shorter lifespan. A 3 cell pack is going to create much more wear on the motor than a 2 cell, especially when submerged.

The second is that the lower amperage draw motors are the ones that last longer when submerged. The higher the turn #, the slower the motor, and the slower the brushes and commutator wear.

Lastly, throttle control is a major factor in motor wear. If you've got a lead finger, you're going to cause excessive wear. If you slowly, precisely maneuver your rig, without tire spin, you'll make life easier on your motor.

Unfortunately you can't have it all, because a 55 turn motor is a slug in other situations, and a quality 35 turn, or under, is going to prematurely wear out in the water.
meatmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 06:46 PM   #17
Tzi
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to put my 2c in here and say that the best motor for mud and water is to not use a brushed motor at all.
I know you specified a brushed motor, and there have been some great suggestions so far.
During winter in our local comps, we run regardless of weather, and most often this means running in mud and water. Every comp there is always someone who has trouble with their motor - usually its stuck brushes.
Personally, I run a Scorpion Outrunner motor on 3cell in my 1.9 TT rig and have never had a problem yet. Because the outside of the can spins so fast it ejects the water from the motor as it spins and can quite often leave dry dirt residue inside the motor, but undo one circlip and the whole can pops apart to be easily cleaned by a toothbrush. More often than not, I just dunk the entire truck in clear water to clean it.
Occasionally I replace bearings (chalk-mud can cause havvok with bearings) but thats only about $3 to replace

As I said... I understand your looking for a brushed motor, but perhaps you might consider changing to brushless one day if mud and water is where you spend most of the time.
Tzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

All the info is great! This might a good sticky with some more info! I'm gonna try the Brood intensity 35t. Ryan at ECRC has recommended it, and he is going to get some sealed bearings for me, and then keep some on hand I believe for future use. Should it work out good I will keep it and put one on Lanes Off Road Recovery(Build thread coming soon). If it doesn't I will probably try the Holmes Trailmaster, But at nearly half the price, Even if I change bearings twice a month, the Brood should work out great.

All the info is awesome, and has led to some good research. Even the brushless recommendation is filled with facts! Thanks ALL and keep it coming!!!

MOST water friendly 35t Brushed, Inexpensive to rebrush and rebearing, - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brushed motor in water? jgammill Electronics 62 06-12-2014 03:56 PM
Brushed motors and water KevMc General Scale Talk 8 04-26-2011 09:26 PM
what is the best 35T brushed motor? raolguio Electronics 19 11-29-2010 04:22 PM