RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   esc (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/399627-esc.html)

Chodey24 08-25-2012 11:05 PM

esc

I have a tekin 35t motor with 16t pinion in my scx10 and i need a esc do i need a certain esc or can i buy any one. if i can what esc do u guys recomenned me getting with that motor.... thanks cody

Trubble 08-25-2012 11:18 PM

Re: esc

Pretty much any ESC that advertises it'll work for brushed motors will be fine. Just hafta look for features you want. I ditched the AE-1 and went with a Sidewinder Micro because I wanted a cutoff for my Lipos and get rid of the delay between reverse and forward.

What are you looking for in an ESC?

Chodey24 08-25-2012 11:57 PM

well i tryed a stock wraith becasue my friend had one and it tweecked so i took it into hobbie shop and they said i need new esc so idk what to get i was thinking a fxr

greggreg2011 08-26-2012 12:04 AM

since you have the tekin motor may as well get a texin esc.

i see alot of the fxr,s in the for sale section here n there

Chodey24 08-26-2012 12:15 AM

what do u guys think about a sv2 i think it is???? becasue i really dont want to spend 100 dollars on a esc

greggreg2011 08-26-2012 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chodey24 (Post 3886928)
what do u guys think about a sv2 i think it is???? becasue i really dont want to spend 100 dollars on a esc

i heard thoes burn up

greggreg2011 08-26-2012 12:20 AM

and you have to watch a fxr was listed the other day for 45 bucks

filotr14lsdude 08-26-2012 02:46 AM

And with fxr you have the chance for them stop working after a calibration.
If it happens you have to send it back. They MIGHT warranty the issue aswell,that's if your lucky

teck 08-26-2012 03:18 AM

U can try the axial ae 2 esc is good i buy 3 after a fran lent me to try

ik632 08-26-2012 10:21 AM

Check out the AE-2 for cheap or an HPI Flux on Ebay. They are usually for brushless, but I think you can program them for brushed. Don't quote me on that though, I don't own one, just noticed they are pretty cheap now and they are already waterproofed.

Trubble 08-26-2012 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by teck (Post 3886985)
U can try the axial ae 2 esc is good i buy 3 after a fran lent me to try

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chodey24 (Post 3886910)
well i tryed a stock wraith becasue my friend had one and it tweecked so i took it into hobbie shop and they said i need new esc so idk what to get

By 'stock wraith' I think the OP already tried an AE-2. While I agree, I personally think they're solid, and would pick one up in a heartbeat, most people are a bit gunshy on picking up another of something that just went bad on them. I think he just wants to try something else. (although I do wonder why the wraith one flew the coop)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chodey24 (Post 3886928)

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggreg2011 (Post 3886930)
i heard thoes burn up

I was going to leave the same comment about the SV2, but I don't have enough info on their failure rates or RCOFs. Seems to me, most people who say theirs constantly goes into thermal shutdown are using them in their short course trucks, which have an entirely different amp draw. I think the SV2 would work fine in an SCX (like the OP asked about), but like the OP, I was shopping 'cheap' and went with the Sidewinder Micro. I know the Micro won't handle much, but I doubt I'll be doing any mudding, sand running, water crosses, or trying to drive out of serious binds, so I think I'll be okay.

Although the Holmes Hobbies BR-XL might be $100, I very rarely ever hear of anyone having much in the way of issues with them.

So, I don't know what to tell the OP. The same SV2 & AE-2 some will tell you not to get, is the same ones I had 'on the short list'. I shop cheap too, and sometimes I can get by with lower end equipment just fine, and sometimes I wish I had spent more money and gotten a better servo. Might just hafta roll the dice and gamble on an SV2 or an FX-R.

Chodey24 08-26-2012 12:32 PM

well im going to try a sv2 just cus its kinda cheap and im going to hobby store today so im just goiong to pick one up thanks for your help guysssss

EvanSouders 08-26-2012 12:41 PM

noo dont get the sv2 i have one and its burnt up ima send it back to castle and let them give me a new one the castle sv2 is not for crawlers or scalers they get to hot and burn up personal id go with a xl5 if you dont care about drag brake and there like a hybrid 45 min out of 2200 3s with bec if you want to do it right the first time go with a holmes hobbies BRXL waterproof its programable and waterproof what more can you ask for and you can run up to a 6s lipo

greggreg2011 08-26-2012 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chodey24 (Post 3887386)
well im going to try a sv2 just cus its kinda cheap and im going to hobby store today so im just goiong to pick one up thanks for your help guysssss

all you will do is overpay at a hobbyshop and when it goes bad you still have to warrenty through castle

ik632 08-26-2012 02:31 PM

You should look through the classifieds or eBay. You'll get more for your dollar.

The Violator 08-26-2012 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greggreg2011 (Post 3887407)
all you will do is overpay at a hobbyshop and when it goes bad you still have to warrenty through castle

Maybe your LHS overcharges, but not all of them. Buying from a LOCAL store keeps them open, and keeps your options open. The day you need a $4 part, and have to order it, pay $7 shipping, and have to wait a week, you will wish there was someplace local to buy from.

A decent LHS will help you out, if you buy it there, they might help you with the warranty. They might even exchange it if you are a good customer.

Chodey24 08-26-2012 06:02 PM

i got the xl5

Meatwad 08-26-2012 06:05 PM

Being a repeat customer does have its benefits. Also doesn't make sense when people are complaining that a lhs offers to order a part not in stock for them, in that case you don't pay shipping. I'd pay tax instead of shipping in most cases.

Charlie-III 08-26-2012 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Violator (Post 3887735)
Maybe your LHS overcharges, but not all of them. Buying from a LOCAL store keeps them open, and keeps your options open. The day you need a $4 part, and have to order it, pay $7 shipping, and have to wait a week, you will wish there was someplace local to buy from.

A decent LHS will help you out, if you buy it there, they might help you with the warranty. They might even exchange it if you are a good customer.

+1,000,000!!

I have supported my LHS for close to 30 years.
They are starting to carry crawler stuff based on my son & I recommendations. They special order with no deposit, they give us "discounts" that make the part ~= to an online order, they remain open a bit longer if I call them for a part they have in stock, etc.

Yes, I buy some stuff online, but I try to get a fair amount from them and steer other RC peeps to their shop."thumbsup"