Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: high torque??

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-28-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default high torque??

what makes a high torque servo stronger then say a standard servo. is it the motor or the gearing? is it in the control board? the reason i am asking is i have two servos. one is a 200oz that i converted to a winch works fine. i also have a super high torque with 423oz of torque with a bad board. if i could cross build them to make a super winch i would be happy. case wise they are identical. i know most high torques have the larger motors so the case i bulged for the motor. any real ideas?
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: high torque??

To a degree, if I understand correctly. Typically a servo manufacturer will design a servo, then they will increase or decrease the gear ratio within changing the speed/torque output capabilities, creating more similar servos. Typically Less torque, faster servo. More torque, slower servo. Not always the case, because you get into high voltage applications and such, that's where the different motors and boards come into the equation.

I say go for it. You could always check some of the winch controllers a few vendors have available.
Devil Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:00 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

It's not so much any one component within a servo that designates it as high torque.

It's usually a combination of motor, voltage and gearing (ratio and materials used) that determines what it is.

Every manufacturers perception of "High Torque" and "High Speed" is different. These are simply perception with no set numbers to determine it.

For your issue at hand, I would take the larger diameter motor (typically have a larger armature and magnets) and mate it to the gearing of your servo winch (if it will). Otherwise, I'd mate a controller (I prefer the Heyok Relay types) to the motor of the high torque (423oz ) servo and build a servo winch out of that assembly.

That's just me though.

Marcus
Draggermirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 11:50 AM   #4

what would u recomend for a servo to be used
rch_carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:48 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draggermirage View Post
Otherwise, I'd mate a controller (I prefer the Heyok Relay types) to the motor of the high torque (423oz ) servo and build a servo winch out of that assembly.

Marcus
+1. The HeyOk controller is a great way to revive a servo with a toasted controller board. If the gears and motor are okay, go with the HeyOk in the 423oz and have a winch that you could hoist small kids in the air with

Quote:
Originally Posted by rch_carter View Post
what would u recomend for a servo to be used
Lots of people like the Hitec 645. I thought it was a little weak though. I've had good luck with Savox SC-0251. They are taller than a standard sized servo, so you have to have room for them, but I'm using them in both my SCX10 and Wraith with very good success. At $40, it lifts my 9 1/2 pound Wraith off the ground without breaking a sweat. Straightforward to convert to continuous rotation. 222oz and .18 @ 6v so it's fairly speedy too.

Last edited by tocsin; 08-28-2012 at 12:54 PM.
tocsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Thanks for suggesting my winch controllers!

Hey, if you want to keep your servo as a servo and not a winch, I have a few extra servo circuit boards that I can let go for cheap. ... and lots of winch controllers!

Just send me a PM.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:24 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

so i did just change out the gears between the winch and the servo. i counted all the teeth on gears not sure actual ratios but there was a good difference in the gearing. being the same company made both servos i figured the motor was the same. so now i have a very strong servo winch. need to buy a or borrow a larger fish scale to see how much power it really has. i know it had the power before to lift my 10lb honcho off of its wheels before but strained. now it dosn't bog down at all.
toka100 is offline   Reply With Quote

high torque?? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
high torque servo iceman320 HPI Wheely King 3 01-28-2008 09:08 AM
high torque captain beefheart Electronics 2 05-15-2005 09:12 PM