Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Two Radios, One Truck

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 12:42 AM   #1

Default Two Radios, One Truck

Ok folks,

Here's the deal. I'm currently using Traxxas radios for all my RC's. I can appreciate the benefits of having an upgraded radio but I'd like to keep a rather unique feature of the Traxxas radios that no one seems to advertise as a feature.

Basically, I can bind and use multiple transmitters to one receiver. Obviously not at the same time! The rx will bind with the first powered-on tx that has been bound to it previously.

Why on earth would I want more than one radio for a kit? Well, I would want to be able to use any of my kits with my nice tx, should I buy one. But I would ALSO like to have less-expensive rx's around so friends or the wife can pick them up and use a kit I'm not using. But, of course, I still want to use my nice tx when it's time to use that kit myself.

Anybody know whether higher-end radio systems would allow this?

Thanks for weighing in.
growlinsax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Two Radios, One Truck

pretty sure spektrum
greggreg2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:02 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Now you got me thinking - I'ld love to be able to do that. I have two FLY SKY GT3B's one is stock and one is modded, I'll give it a try and see if it works with this radio.
Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 06:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

If I am understanding you right dont all higher end radios do that? I know I can save like 25 in my 4pl.
doublej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:19 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
If I am understanding you right dont all higher end radios do that? I know I can save like 25 in my 4pl.
I think he's asking - Can I bind radio 1 to the rx, and then bind radio 2 to the same rx without losing the bind from radio 1, so I can use radio 1 or radio 2 to control the same truck.

I just tried it with my FLY SKY GT3B and it won’t work, it stays with the last radio to bind with the rx.

Last edited by Grundy; 09-07-2012 at 09:19 AM.
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #6
RCC Addict

It will depend on the recognition protocols built into each receiver. It is a sure thing that you can't use Brand X Tx with Brand Y Rx.
AreCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:37 AM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublej View Post
You're talking about multiple receivers in one transmitter, so your 4PL can control several vehicles.

The OP is asking about multiple transmitters on one receiver, so whichever transmitter he turns on, his one vehicle will recognize it without having to re-bind.

I only have my lowly 2PL on 2.4, haven't found the scratch (or need) to pick up a 4PL yet, so I don't have enough experience on the subject to know if it'd work. I was always under the impression that once bound, the receiver forgot any identifiers from previous transmitters and only worked with the newly bound Tx. I'd need to pick up a second FHSS radio (2PL, 3PL, 4PL, 4YF) in order to try it. My remaining R/C budget is a whopping $50 'til spring, so I don't see me being able pick up another radio for that. Somebody else will hafta try it and report back.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 10:02 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Interesting feature, I'm not sure Traxxas meant to have it but it does open up possibilities. You could have right handed and left handed radios for different people, or have one TX with the throttle EPAs set lower for the kids.

Actually this feature exists in every single AM and FM analog radio!

Since it's not advertised I wouldn't assume anything: neither that higher end radios would support it nor that future Traxxas RXs, even if they sport the same model name, wouldn't have this feature disable (maybe it's a 'bug' that will get fixed).
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:22 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

no you can not bind multiple tx to one spektrum rx.

spektrum uses what is called "model match"

I tried cause I had my tx for my slash but wanted to set up a second for the kids with derated speeds. needless to say I couldn't do it

Sent from my GT-I9100M
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:41 AM   #10
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_Driver
.......... or have one TX with the throttle EPAs set lower for the kids............
See, and I was wondering if you actually did this, wouldn't you have to re-calibrate the ESC each time you switched up transmitters?
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:44 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

For a little while I has a couple of Spektrum DX3E TX and about 4 SR300 RX. Keeping track of which TX was bound to which RX was a hassle and I had more RX than TX so leaving them 1-to-1 wasn't working. What I did was to leave the bind plug in the RX. Every time you power the RX up you have to bind it. Because you never remove the bind plug, it never "sets" the program, but it works fine until you power down. You have to bind the RX to whatever TX you want to use for that session, but you can switch TX by turning off the RX, turning it back on and binding to the new TX. I didn't do this for long -- it is a hassle, so I got a DX3S and got rid of the DX3E's -- but I don't remember any downside other than having to bind every time.

Don't know if it applies to Traxxas TX/RX or not.

You could also start searching for cheap RTR TX/RX sets on eBay. Lots of people part out RTRs and lots of people have multi-model TX and take out the stock RX and sell the TX/RX that they'll never use off. I know I've sold off HPI and Axial TX/RX sets for $30-$50.
FauxMako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 02:01 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
See, and I was wondering if you actually did this, wouldn't you have to re-calibrate the ESC each time you switched up transmitters?
I do this using different model memories on my 4PL. I can also lock out features like a dig or put a 2 speed tranny in low gear.

You don't have to recalibrate the ESC, the point is the ESC is setup for full speed but the TX won't give more than the EPA amount (say 40%).
YJ_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 03:08 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I know Spektrum won't. A car that is bound to radio X, and then bound to radio Y, won't work with radio X again until it's rebound.

I haven't tried it with Airtronics yet. I'd like to. In my situation, my son and I trade off during scaler competitions. I run the Wraith in 2.2 and he runs the Honcho in 1.9. When we're done, we swap and he runs the Wraith and I run the Honcho. It'd be nice if I could use my MT4 and he could use a cheaper Airtronics radio without having to rebind. Have even thought about running dual receivers, as he uses my Spektrum 3R Pro from racing, but haven't found a clean way to do that. Contemplated using 3 radio shack 15 pin VGA connectors - one for each receiver and one to the servos/ESC. Or 2 male plugs with a hacked monitor cable split to the servos and ESC, But that'd get messy and a lot of soldering, and could detract from reliability.
tocsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 11:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxMako View Post
You could also start searching for cheap RTR TX/RX sets on eBay. Lots of people part out RTRs and lots of people have multi-model TX and take out the stock RX and sell the TX/RX that they'll never use off. I know I've sold off HPI and Axial TX/RX sets for $30-$50.
I could certainly stock up on Traxxas combos, which is basically what I've been doing. But I ask the question because I am intrigued with the possibility of running a radio with a display and more features.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:25 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_Driver View Post
Interesting feature, I'm not sure Traxxas meant to have it but it does open up possibilities. You could have right handed and left handed radios for different people, or have one TX with the throttle EPAs set lower for the kids.

Actually this feature exists in every single AM and FM analog radio!

Since it's not advertised I wouldn't assume anything: neither that higher end radios would support it nor that future Traxxas RXs, even if they sport the same model name, wouldn't have this feature disable (maybe it's a 'bug' that will get fixed).
First, it's gonna take more than that to make me dump 2.4.

I found a clue on Traxxas' site:

"Traxxas Link allows the receiver to recognize up to twenty TQ 2.4Ghz
Traxxas Link enabled transmitters"

So it seems intentional.

After further research, it seems I could pick up a TQi radio which would work with my current systems in the same way. And, of course, I could then have a display with an iDevice. I'm not crazy about this because I don't have an iDevice or any intention of getting one; so I'm still interested in the possibility of any other radio systems that would allow me to keep working this way. But I thought I'd mention it in case it was a workable solution for anyone with similar questions.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:26 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

I guess I dont understand the need to skip the binding step, its not that much of a pain.

Futaba radios do not require a bind plug from what I have seen so that is one less thing to forget when heading out to play.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 02:37 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
I guess I dont understand the need to skip the binding step, its not that much of a pain.

Futaba radios do not require a bind plug from what I have seen so that is one less thing to forget when heading out to play.
Kind of a pain when the receiver is sealed in a waterproof box.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tocsin View Post
Kind of a pain when the receiver is sealed in a waterproof box.
I'm thinking of using a servo extension wire to get a plug outside the sealed box, then I can bind a second tx quickly and without having to disassemble anything.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:38 AM   #19
Rock Stacker

Wow... That's a really good idea. Matter of fact, I have a pigtail coming out for the lights already. I'll plug it in to the bind port

Sent from my Motorola Atrix using tapatalk

Two Radios, One Truck - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Helicopter Radios vs Surface Radios orianthi Newbie General 6 12-19-2010 08:22 PM
Radios Losi man Superclass Crawlers 2 02-02-2010 08:47 PM
Stick radios for truck use: ILLEGAL??? RedBetta Electronics 37 08-07-2007 11:01 AM