Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle Maxx ESC Issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 05:15 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Castle Maxx ESC Issues

Hey guys, just installed a castle maxx esc with the external fan on it and ive ran it 3 times crawling and now when I plug my battery in, all it does is make the connection sound when it starts up, and it repeats it over and over. Cant move it, or steer. Could it be the ESC causing this or a receiver? I sure hope its not the esc, sucker was expensive lol

Any help would be appreciated. Heres where it clunked on me. Nothing extreme

MoonyJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Castle Maxx ESC Issues

Sounds like a dead battery
The Violator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Is it just beeping repeatedly? If that's the case it's not receiving signal from your tx/rx. Check the rx plug and make sure all the pins are in and making connection with the rx. If not making a complete connection your rx will not have any power (if you are not using and external bec) so you wont have steering either like you are experiencing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Check your trims to make sure you didnt bump them. Recalibrate the radio and esc if needed. Does the radio have multiple models ? are you on the right one if it does ?
hotwheels000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:31 AM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Violator View Post
Sounds like a dead battery
I just charged my battery, but i could try my brothers to see if mine clunked. Its a brand new, only used for two or three trips

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
Is it just beeping repeatedly? If that's the case it's not receiving signal from your tx/rx. Check the rx plug and make sure all the pins are in and making connection with the rx. If not making a complete connection your rx will not have any power (if you are not using and external bec) so you wont have steering either like you are experiencing.

Yeah its just over and over again. The first time i plugged it in the fan kicked on, and then turned off and it started repeating to restart. What exactly is the rx/tx plug? Is it in the receiver? I have my BEC plugged into the auxilary port, and the esc into the throttle port. Ill have to check the plugs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels000 View Post
Check your trims to make sure you didnt bump them. Recalibrate the radio and esc if needed. Does the radio have multiple models ? are you on the right one if it does ?
Ill try that too, i dont think i bumped them. Sometimes it is something really simple like that, start easy i guess.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:33 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

By the way I have a DX2e spektrum setup, its just a 3 slotted receiver. Aux, throttle, steering
Old 09-08-2012, 08:36 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

TX = transmitter
RX = receiver

Make sure the plug from the ESC is firmly in the channel 2 port on the RX. This plug is what powers the RX & the steering servo.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:52 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Since you are using a bec, check and see if the becs green light is on. I suspect your bec gave out. To test it put the red wire from the mambas receiver plug back in so it powers the everything instead of the external bec.

benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
TX = transmitter
RX = receiver

Make sure the plug from the ESC is firmly in the channel 2 port on the RX. This plug is what powers the RX & the steering servo.
Everything is snug, I got it to connect to the controller, I just reset it. Now the rig moves forward and back just fine, but the steering is WAY underpowered. The BEC light is on, and everything is connected again. Something strange is going on, usually I could jam the tire pretty good and it would atleast try to turn it full lock to lock. Now it wont even steer on its own 4 feet, it will turn lock to lock when its in the air, seems weak.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:22 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Snapped a couple pictures of my birds nest w/ zipties. Originally was in a water balloon, thats why its all so tight haha. All lights are good to go though

Old 09-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
Since you are using a BEC, check and see if the BEC green light is on. I suspect your BEC gave out. To test it put the red wire from the Mambas receiver plug back in so it powers up everything instead of the external BEC.

+1, it looks like you have the older CC BEC, they can "just die" at times.
Old 09-08-2012, 12:13 PM   #12
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
+1, it looks like you have the older CC BEC, they can "just die" at times.
The green light is on though, would that still happen that it would be dead? Even though its lit up..
Old 09-08-2012, 12:25 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
The green light is on though, would that still happen that it would be dead? Even though its lit up..
It's possible, unplug it from the RX and see what voltage you get from the red & black output wires.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:19 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

I dont have a reader for detecting voltage, but I just unplugged the BEC from the receiver and its doing the same thing. So its acting like its not working? Maybe a new BEC is the cure? Also if this makes any difference, I plugged the BEC into the aux port, and the throttle port I have all 3 wires from the ESC still in place. I was looking at the diagram for BEC wiring and they said to remove the red wire from the ESC line to the receiver, so i did that and the car wouldnt move at all or turn on. So, I reconnected the red wire and it worked fine until this happened. Would you know why the red wire screwed things up when its originally supposed to be disconnected?
Old 09-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonyJohn View Post
I don't have a reader for detecting voltage, but I just unplugged the BEC from the receiver and its doing the same thing. So its acting like its not working? Maybe a new BEC is the cure? Also if this makes any difference, I plugged the BEC into the aux port, and the throttle port I have all 3 wires from the ESC still in place. I was looking at the diagram for BEC wiring and they said to remove the red wire from the ESC line to the receiver, so I did that and the car wouldn't move at all or turn on. So, I reconnected the red wire and it worked fine until this happened. Would you know why the red wire screwed things up when its originally supposed to be disconnected?
The reason for removing the red wire from the ESC connection when running the BEC to the RX is to prevent the 2 BEC's from fighting.
Usually, when they fight, eventually one will win & the other will die.
(there are some engineers on this forum that will say this is safe to do......you have proved it's not.......)

Your "test" is showing the external BEC is likely dead, thus nothing happens when you remove the red ESC wire and only have the BEC plugged in.

Castle users guide....(covers ESC calibration) http://www.castlecreations.com/suppo...s_ed_guide.pdf

Castle ESC FAQ's..... Castle Creations | FAQ: 1/10th Scale Products
Trouble shooting is near the bottom.....
Old 09-08-2012, 05:11 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Ok so I went to my LHS and they tested the ESC and BEC and both checked out fine. They disconnected the red wire, but later found out that my servo was the issue. So, I replaced it with a Savox SC-1268. Plugged it all in and it works great. Servo is really noisy but other than that its decently powered. Thanks for all the help guys, got me off my feet to fix it lol
Old 09-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like you have a decent LHS.....buy stuff from them when you can!!

From your description, I never thought of having you disconnect the servo. Sorry, my bad.

Glad you have it resolved.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Sounds like you have a decent LHS.....buy stuff from them when you can!!

From your description, I never thought of having you disconnect the servo. Sorry, my bad.

Glad you have it resolved.
I love this hobby store I go to, they actually know their stuff and actually help you haha. Its nice when it comes to our hobby. No worries about the servo, regardless I had to buy a BEC or servo, im just glad it wasnt something that I just bought, Ive had that servo for a while now, guess it just got worn out somehow.

Thanks for your help though!

Castle Maxx ESC Issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle link issues TXJeeper1 Electronics 11 09-20-2011 06:28 AM
Castle Link issues badyj Electronics 1 05-15-2007 07:59 PM