Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Heli Pack Receiver Battery

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 05:22 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Heli Pack Receiver Battery

Hi, I'm playing around with the wiring in my trail truck (CC01) a little and I'm wondering about what sort of life I might get out of an 850-1100mah lipo packs if I run them as receiver/servo batteries.

So, what I'd do is have the smaller pack running through my external BEC to the receiver/servo. My main battery would run to the ESC and power the motor alone.

The reason I'm looking at this, other than boredom, is to clean up some wiring and separate my drive power from "other" power. I'm hoping that this will, in effect, allow longer run times through higher combined capacity of the batteries.

Yeah, I know I could just use a bigger pack, but what fun would that be?

Jim
monkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Heli Pack Receiver Battery

Depending on your rx and servo you might be able to drop the BEC in that setup. No idea how much time to expect though.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I would skip that idea all together, it leads to extra complexity and if you are planning on using a lipo receiver pack you will be at risk of over discharging it if you dont put an alarm on it.

In my eyes it adds extra complexity to the wiring (the thing you are trying to avoid) and why would you want to make sure 2 batteries are charged before you go out rather than one?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 11:32 PM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

I used my 500 mAh heli battery for my receiver before I had a BEC just to test and see if a BEC would clear up my issues.
On a 500, I'd get about 25-30 mins, then it would shut off. Your call, but I'd recommend a 1,000mAh or more.
I got lucky in that my packs have a cutoff/balancer under the shrinkwrap. May want to consider running an LVA on that receiver battery.
Since all I was taking a chance on ruining was an AS-2 servo, I didn't care that I was running an unregulated 2S. If you have a servo you care about, might want to keep that BEC in there.
So, yes it does work. If you don't mind maintaining a second battery, I'd see no reason to tell you not to do it. I didn't feel like messin' with it, so when I got my BEC, I hooked it to the main battery like just about everyone else does.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Heli Pack Receiver Battery - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Still confused. Can I use Receiver pack battery with another 2S lipo?? JonehRC Newbie General 6 10-21-2010 07:15 PM
2215 receiver with external battery pack Big Ahso Electronics 3 03-29-2006 08:31 PM
batterie pack and receiver pack? mudrinner4ever Electronics 2 08-19-2005 09:19 AM