Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: New dingo kit= need help deciding on ALL eletronics

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #1

Default New dingo kit= need help deciding on ALL eletronics

Soo im lucky enough too have a legit gf who bought me an Axial scx10 dingo kit for my birthday, its my first rc crawler and i just want to do things right. im looking too buy everything water proof- servo-esc-recever, looking for a set up thats great with rock crawling, hittn trails, and an ocasional small stream or two. i would like too keep everything with in the $200ish range if possible. ive read great things on the holmes hobbies stuff> but slightly confuzed/intemidated by their products as in what EXACTLY what i should buy. need radio,recever,servo,esc,motor yes i know its alot. thanx for holding a newbies hand and thanx for your guy's time.
Mr Hemi STL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: New dingo kit= need help deciding on ALL eletronics

Uh, its going to be hard on your budget. Probably possible but cutting it a bit close.

ESC: Holmes Hobbies BR-XL W/ waterproof add on (thats over half your budget right there)

Motor: Something cheap and machine wound, I like the Integy motors (dont buy any of their other stuff though) or you could pickup a cheap Holmes motor if you buy your ESC directly from him.

Servo: This one is going to be tough, I would opt for either a Solar servo from Hobbypartz or one of the House branded HobbyKing servos. I dont have the model numbers here but they are around 300-400 oz/in of torque, you are shooting for somewhere in that range. They are cheap and Chinese but with your budget you will need to go that route, honestly I run Chinese servos in my scalers because for me it is a waste of money to put a $100 in there.

Radio: Hands down GT3B, you can hack it down the road and it will last you a good long while.

So everything other than the ESC will need to be waterproofed but there are good guides on this forum if you look around a bit, comes up quite often.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
RCC Addict

^^^ got it pretty much covered. Although find another $20.00 and buy yourself a star to view the classified section and you will be able to source some of the used electronics for cheaper. Not uncommon to find a waterproof brxl for under a 100 used.
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 03:49 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Don't worry about upgrades for now. Get marine grease for axles. Dingo is pretty tough out of the box. With the GT3B you'll be fine or check local hobby shop for sport model radios. AM or Fm models will work. Since everyone is going 2.4 ghz you won't or souldnt have much interference issues. Either start out cheap or sell your junk to fund it. I've sold most of my junk on eBay to completely fund my two dingos. good luck and just enjoy it!
juswin24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 05:18 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Yea but said sport radios are the same price as a GT3B and if he hacks it later down the road he is in a much better position.

Avoid junk from the start and you will collect less junk that you dont use anymore, thats my plan most of the time.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 08:43 PM   #6
RCC Addict

^^^ What SMR said. Spend the money on the GT3B and you will much better off in the long run!!!
mammoth is offline   Reply With Quote

New dingo kit= need help deciding on ALL eletronics - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Honcho kit or Dingo kit? profsrkos2012 Newbie General 10 07-23-2012 04:50 AM
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
ax10 scorpion kit....diablo artr still deciding? benchrest Newbie General 1 02-20-2010 12:04 PM
I need Help Deciding on what kit to purchase cosmiccat Newbie General 15 12-11-2008 04:41 PM