Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Sensored Brushless advise

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default Sensored Brushless advise

I am new to the sensored brushless world, so I actually need some advice from you folks.

I am looking at this maybe:

HobbyWing JS5 Sensored Brushless RC Car Combo w/ Justock 45A ESC + XERUN-17.5T 1900kv Sensored Motor for 1/10 & 1/12 RC Buggy/Truck Competition (ROAR Approved)

Want to use some thing to haul a little poo, but crawl nicely in my Willys build. Thinking of going with a 2 speed RC4WD trans in it, so I think I could crawl ok, then haul the mail.

I hear 17.5 is the sweet spot.

Originally, I was going to go with a mamba max pro, and a 17.5, but I am open to one of these budget combos as long as they have what I need.

Anyone know what motors will work with castles "boost" mode? I hear Tekins done like em.

Advise is appreciated.
Chris_The_Battery_Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-2012, 01:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Wouldn't be a good choice for a couple reasons, although it may or may not affect your setup/wants. First is that the drag break maxes out at 30% or so depending on programming box. Second, those motors are really meant for lighter 2wd's. Really meant as a go fast option, but could be made to work with respect to gearing.

Had a couple nokak 17.5's that enjoyed the mmp. Tekin is a better choice imo. A decent cheap-ish 4pole option that's often compared to the tekin pro4 would be the tenshock sc411, but could possibly have too much of a footprint in the engine compartment of a willys. Of course the top dog right now is the pro4
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:06 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Sensored Brushless advise

I would check out the brushless hobbies ESC's, they are very inexpensive for what you get I just cant remember what the max drag brake is on them. There is a thread on here about them so that should have that info.

For a motor I think you would be fine with just about any motor in that range, the pro 4 is awesome but not necessary in my opinion.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Thinking of going with the LRP in this FS add and a mamba max pro. Or maybe the novak 18.5....

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/sale/...otor-sale.html

Thoughts?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:48 PM   #5
RCC Addict

If you had the realestate the MMP (or a RX and the pro4 would be the ultimate combo. BUT $$$$$$$$$
I can't speak for the 17.5 motors, but I ran more than one 13.5 (Novak and Tekin) in my off road cars and short course trucks.
Depending on the weight of the truck they may work. The novak seemed to have more punch than the tekins all through the power band.

The tenshock motors are ok, but truely best suited to a go fast HEAVY truck. Their performance can be described some what like a light switch. Studdering and not really there and then HOLEY COW. Top fuel dragster is a good way to think about it.

And you're right about the castles and boost mode. The Tekin motors didn't like it and the Novak, well my MMP swelled a $125 lipo and smoked the sensor board in the Novak 4.5 ballistic. That was when the 4x4 short course went to a cheaper combo..

I just dropped this in my wraith/scx10 axled rig.
With some modest 32p gears and a semi-built axial trans the motor is living well on 2s..
TowerHobbies.com | DTX020-0090-00 020-0090-00 Duratrax 1/10 Element 3900kV Brushless System
But it isn't sensored and it can be a little jittery at low speeds.

My $.02. Tekin RS and a 13.5 Novak crawler motor, running in hybrid mode, on 2s. 27,720 rpm
OR tekin RS and a 18.5 Novak crawler motor, same hybrid mode, on 3s would give you 20,000 rpm.
You can use the sensor down low, then it will turn off when the motor has enough speed.
You can even boost it if you want too with the RS. MUCH smaller than the MMP or the RX8, and is VERY smooth...
Downfall, the RS isn't cheap... $180....

Let us know what you come up with, I am interested to see the results.
Am really hoping Mr. Holmes gets his sensored brushless motors done soon. Big Oly needs one, BAD...
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
RCC Addict

I'm running a Tenshock SC411 with Brushless Hobbies 120A Pro (the older version) and had some issues with one of the programs (508 mod I believe) where it was cutting out with the settings I had. I switched to 508 stock with pretty much base settings (added 25% drag brake and kept it for double pump reverse for now) and it appears to be running better. The MMP that I bought this week will be a backup in case anything goes wrong on vacation, I just didn't feel like tearing the thing apart to stick it in.

There's also something about the BH esc where it's super quiet and doesn't have the high pitch whine the Castle's do. I'm a huge Castle fan with 2 Sidewinder SCT's, 2 AE-2's, and a MMP.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:27 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

I've been running a MMPRO with a Scooterworks 13.5 (go-fast motor) in my wraith. Top end is real nice and quick, crawling is ok....low end is a little lacking, not so smooth. But it's my basher, so...nice to have a good balance between high speed and crawl ability...for me it was wheel speed and roosters

my buddy's MMPRO and Pro4 combo was pretty good....but pricey
Postclanker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:40 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

I run Novak crawler and goat bl in three of my rigs, and have incredible low end resolution almost brushed like and they have some punch all on 2s, I tried the 3s pack on my cr o1( heavy rig) and twisted my traxxas driveshafts almost inmediately, did the same on a 2.2 comp tlt I have, and it's very fast on 3s, my 2 pennies
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

[QUOTE=bigstu;3928252]If
The tenshock motors are ok, but truely best suited to a go fast HEAVY truck. Their performance can be described some what like a light switch. Studdering and not really there and then HOLEY COW. Top fuel dragster is a good way to think about it.

The Tenshock SC401 is like a light switch, it's not sensored. The SC411 is sensored and works fantastic. I'm running mine with a Brushless Hobbies 120 pro ESC. I replaced a MMP / Pro 4 3300KV with the BH / SC411 combo so I can compare first hand.

The BH / SC411 combo is every bit as smooth, quieter and flat out stomps the MMP / Pro 4.

The combo is about $100 cheaper too. If they were priced the same, I'd still go for the BH / SC 411 combo, in my opinion, it's superior.
Hobine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 06:15 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I'm running the mmp pro4 setup on 3s. The combo crawls awesome in my c2 scaler and has plenty of top end. No boost or extra timing, works awesome. Motor, esc, battery stays cool like slightly above ambient temp. If you can swing the money its absolutely worth it. Imo
jthellfire911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 11:15 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_The_Battery_Man View Post
Thinking of going with the LRP in this FS add and a mamba max pro. Or maybe the novak 18.5....

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/sale/...otor-sale.html

Thoughts?
No body else ey? Can anyone answer my question in this?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:57 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
No body else ey? Can anyone answer my question in this?
boost will cause heat in lower rpms. The other motor that alot use is a novak 13.5 ballistic with mmp on 3s or 4s. keep in mind you pay for what you get though. Buying cheap electronics wount always turn out in your favor. I've been through probably 500$ not including my mmp/pro4 this past year since getting back into the hobby just in motors, speed controls, crap like that. Then add the 265$ I'm into my mmp/pro4 setup brand new parts. It ends up that If I would have just gone this route the first time I would have saved more money than the way I did.
Just some food for thought. I was nervous about going with this setup just because I didnt wanna be blowing 265$ for nothing.. The setup I'm running gives me the cake and eat it too scenerio.
Old 09-24-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Oh I am very familiar with getting what you pay for. Very well rounded in the brushed world. Just dont know what folks are using in the go fast/crawl trucks since I have been purely comp for many many years. Want to give brushless another try since the technology has come a long ways
Old 09-24-2012, 05:12 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Oh I am very familiar with getting what you pay for. Very well rounded in the brushed world. Just dont know what folks are using in the go fast/crawl trucks since I have been purely comp for many many years. Want to give brushless another try since the technology has come a long ways
Cool, I'd place my bet with a mmp, and either 13.5 ballistic novak or the pro4. If you went with the Novak 13.5 then you could always get the 2 speed "axial" trans and have plenty of low end and top end speed. I actually Have seen someone with the new 2speed with the pro4 on 2s and its pretty awesome.

One thing I wanna do with mine is create 2 profiles in my radio for my rig. One has full throttle trims, the other cuts my power down 50-60% and still crawls awesome and wount get me into trouble if I nail the throttle. The way I have it set up for the lower power version its not much faster than my novak rockstar 35t on 3s. Keeps things nice and easy for doing comps. Then If I really need some power to get up a hill or get myself out of a jam I hurry and change profiles in my radio and have instant full power of the pro4. I like it because it's almost like a 2speed trans but controlled through my radio. The only bad thing is my dx3c wount have 2 profiles bound to the same radio.......

Now if I could get the programming adjusted in my radio so that I could switch profiles on the fly with the push of a button that would make it just like a 2speed trans but just electronically. lol

Last edited by jthellfire911; 09-24-2012 at 05:26 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:15 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meatwad View Post
the drag break maxes out at 30% or so depending on programming box.
Where are you getting this information?
HOBBYWING TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
Looking at the programmable items, thirty percent isn't even an option.
Are you thinking about this combo instead?
Hobbyking X-Car Brushless Power System 1900KV/45A

I do agree about the Tenshock being a good choice over a 17.5; you can't go wrong with too much power.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by majatra View Post
Where are you getting this information?
HOBBYWING TECHNOLOGY CO., LTD.
Looking at the programmable items, thirty percent isn't even an option.
Are you thinking about this combo instead?
Hobbyking X-Car Brushless Power System 1900KV/45A

I do agree about the Tenshock being a good choice over a 17.5; you can't go wrong with too much power.
Actually 40% going by the included card.

Any of the China esc's that require a programming box aren't suited for crawler drag break.

Last edited by Meatwad; 09-24-2012 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-24-2012, 05:39 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

Sorry for taking this further off topic, but you own photo shows Option 2 Drag Brake, with selection 8 being 100%.
Are you confusing Initial Brake with Drag Brake?
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:42 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

Yep does seem like it. The hk versions are quite a bit different.

Sensored Brushless advise - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brushless motor advise? Brainstain Electronics 3 02-09-2012 01:58 AM
are all sensored brushless motors work with any sensored esc? jebster Electronics 8 01-02-2012 10:47 AM
going brushless? need advise.. joeshacks Electronics 9 05-09-2007 09:25 PM