Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: High Power BEC/Servo Power Supply

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 09:01 AM   #1

Lightbulb High Power BEC/Servo Power Supply

My two high power servos are only running at 5volts and seem to max out my EVX battery eliminator.
I am designing a servo power supply that is capable of 5 or 6 volts (or whatever is needed) and somewhere from 3-8 amps of current. It's power rating should be greater than any ESC out there.
I was wondering if there is any interest, or if anyone else has found a need for something like this.

Last edited by MANTIS; 08-08-2006 at 09:03 AM.
MANTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2006, 09:21 AM   #2
RCC Addict

6v 5 or more amps and im sure there will be interest, including myself.
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:42 AM   #3
PapaGriz Yo

Is this a separate power supply for the servos like a receiver battery pack or would it still get it's power from the main battery pack?

My two high torque servos kill a rechargable receiver pack pretty quick so what kind of capacity if it is a stand alone power supply?

If it runs off the main battery pack would it be able to handle 9.6V input? I like to run 8 cells.

How much will it weigh?

I am interested but need more details.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 09:55 AM   #4

It will be a seperate unit. It will run off the main battery pack. Crawlers are funy in that the servos take almost as much pawer as a set of lathes
It sould weight very light. I am guessing the size of a RX unit. It will turn on when your ESC turns on, just like a RX.
The input voltage should be rated at more than 15volts so I don't think there will ba any problems there.
I am going to have the output voltage adjustable. but I imagine most guys will run 6V.
What kind of current would you guys want? I may design it at 3-4 amps per servo. Is that overkill? I don't think a stalled monster servo's current is more than two-three amps
These units will also have short and overheat protection. They should be very rugged.
Any other ideas or needs????
Old 08-08-2006, 10:00 AM   #5
RCC Addict

just make it cheap
BrandonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:45 AM   #6
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANTIS
Crawlers are funy in that the servos take almost as much pawer as a set of lathes
I agree.

In my super crawler I run 200 oz-in servos front and rear so I dont know if a 2100mAh A2 size battery will last very long with the servos pulling off of it.

It sounds like I would have the option of running either a subC size pack with more capacity and running the servo P/S off of it
or wiring the servo P/S to a separate 5-6 cell RX battery pack and using my A2 main pack only for the motors. I could then distribute weight better.

Hitec says that a digital servo only draws 2 amps but they said that before the 5955TG came out. My guess is that 3 amps per servo would be ok.

Sounds like a good deal to me. I know that you have the knowledge to do this so sign me up for one if the price is reasonable.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:03 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJJF6&P=7

Highmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highmark
But that only provides 6 volts and 3 amps to the servos and will only handle input voltage up to 7 cells.

With Mantis' design you could run 12 cells and power two super high torque servos. Plus you could power the servos off of 6V for reliability or higher voltage for more servo power.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:28 AM   #9

It is somewhat like one of those. Same kind of idea.
I'm sure with some creativity, you could get two of those and make it work. There will be alot of problems if you just wire two of those directly together, then run them into your RX. However instead of plugging both into your RX, you will have to splice them into your servos wires, then make sure your servo's power wire does not go to the RX. Then you would have to turn on three switches to get your truck turned on.
I'm envisioning a box you will plug your servos into, then it will plug into your RX servo outputs. Then it will have two wires going to the main battery. A trim to adjust the voltage if wanted. It would also make it so that your RX is running off your ECS's bec still and that would isolate the RX from any power demands of the servos. It will also auto turn on with the RX. And I know I can do it for less than 50 bucks shipped.
I'm sure there are many ways to skin this cat of servo power supplys. What else would you want or need in something like this?
Old 08-08-2006, 11:34 AM   #10
RCC Addict

http://www.himodel.com/en/rc_hobby/electric_1295.php
http://www.himodel.com/en/rc_hobby/electric_499.php
http://www.moraw-electronic.de/helitronx/index.htm
my favorite http://www.koolflightsystems.com/ultimatebec.htm
or the 5th cell of my drive pack method
EGRESSor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 11:46 AM   #11

Yeah those are pretty much the same story 6V 3A (one says 5A for less than 3 seconds) You could buy two and make them work as said, but I am saying that I have personaly seen a need for a unit that will do more than that. Even expensive ESC's only give us 3A. I bet there are alot of guys who are running a EVX 5V/1.5Amp who'd like a easy hop-up.

Last edited by MANTIS; 08-08-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 08-08-2006, 11:57 AM   #12
PapaGriz Yo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MANTIS
Yeah those are pretty much the same story 6V 3A (one says 5A for 10 seconds) You could buy two and make them work as said, but I am saying that I have personaly seen a need for a unit that will do more than that. Even expensive ESC's only give us 3A. I bet there are alot of guys who are running a EVX 5V/1.5Amp who'd like a easy hop-up.
Or a Super Rooster 6V/3A that cannot handle two hi-torque digital servos.

At Moab last year I put in my second digital servo just before the first course (I bought it out there) and it cost me a great run cuz the Super Rooster couldn't handle it and I DNF'd the course. Also, my small RX pack only lasts about 10 minutes.

3 amps is not enough!

Last edited by Grizzly4x4; 08-08-2006 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 10:21 PM   #13

Integy has a 5 amp BEC. The output is adjustable between 5 and 7 volts. The input range is 5 to 30 volts. It also has an adjustable low voltage buzzer. It weighs 15 grams.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXLWF2&P=K

Regards,
Mark
JetskiMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2006, 10:43 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetskiMark
Integy has a 5 amp BEC. The output is adjustable between 5 and 7 volts. The input range is 5 to 30 volts. It also has an adjustable low voltage buzzer. It weighs 15 grams.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...9&I=LXLWF2&P=K

Regards,
Mark
?????????????
rockwerks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:33 PM   #15

So are there any crawlers who'd want a product like I'm decribing? I am incorporating a very high power BEC into another product i'm working on and I am wondering if anyone would just need a BEC like that.
I am working on several awesome items. I will post news as I am ready to. The BEC is more of a small tangent product I've personally seen a need for.