Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: DX-6 and winching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
MODERHATER™

Default DX-6 and winching

Hey all trying to get ready to go to the NWSC in a few days.

In the past I have been running my winch on my DX-6 using this method: Messing with my DX6 for winch use "how-to" and would like to be able to do the same on the rudder channel.

But now my Class 3 rig has 4 wheel steer and I like to have both the steering on my right gimbal like I run my super class rig.. So I have moved my winch over to the rudder channel.

But I like to be able to turn the winch on and off when not in use.

I tried cutting wires in the radio and installing a on/off switch but after a few seconds to winch will start unspooling when turned off, I adjust the trim, only to have it keep spooling seconds later.

Got and good idea's on how to turn the rudder channel off and on?
666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #2
REST IN ALOHA CHIP

Default Re: DX-6 and winching

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Hey all trying to get ready to go to the NWSC in a few days.

In the past I have been running my winch on my DX-6 using this method: Messing with my DX6 for winch use "how-to" and would like to be able to do the same on the rudder channel.

But now my Class 3 rig has 4 wheel steer and I like to have both the steering on my right gimbal like I run my super class rig.. So I have moved my winch over to the rudder channel.

But I like to be able to turn the winch on and off when not in use.

I tried cutting wires in the radio and installing a on/off switch but after a few seconds to winch will start unspooling when turned off, I adjust the trim, only to have it keep spooling seconds later.

Got and good idea's on how to turn the rudder channel off and on?
Momentary push button push on/push off...wire it into the signal coming out of the potentiometer....so it totally kills the signal. i believe you can also switch one of the toggles up above to a center off 3 position and program that as well...when its off the circuit is completly open. trigger comes from either side of the rocker, but youd use the same wire.just splice it. on signal in, one out...center off....best bet would to put an arming toggle to the winch itself(in the truck). hope this helps.

Chino and or JIA are the two main folks i would direct any ?'s towards about the programming aspect of it, those two know those radios in and out..but im sure ALOT more know just as much.

Last edited by YoUnG_vErSiOn; 09-24-2012 at 03:09 PM.
YoUnG_vErSiOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:09 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Switch the red wire on your winch, not the signal wire. That will keep it from drifting
Almighty Malach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
PapaGriz Yo

When I was running my super with a 4ch Hitec I just cut the wires from the rudder gimbal and soldered them to a 3 position switch and it worked great.

Griz's Team RCC/Holmes Hobbies/Reign RC K2-3L Comp Super

kilas idea on the momentary switches should work good too.
Grizzly4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 03:34 PM   #5
MODERHATER™

I talked to Dean on the phone, sounds like a switch in the truck is the best way to go, although I would like to be able to do it on the radio.

The winch does not drift normally, only when I put the switch in my radio. And it wasn't really drifting, it would be silent for about 5 seconds then it would start spooling, then I would adjust the trim to make it stop and after about 5 seconds it would do it again, and again, and again, really odd to me. Mr. Holmes said I need to install a ten turn trimpot, but I don't have one of those...

And thanks Kila, I'll look into your idea.
Old 09-24-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
MODERHATER™

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly4x4 View Post
When I was running my super with a 4ch Hitec I just cut the wires from the rudder gimbal and soldered them to a 3 position switch and it worked great.

Griz's Team RCC/Holmes Hobbies/Reign RC K2-3L Comp Super
That would kill me being able to use the rudder on my gimbal though right?
Old 09-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Here is a mod I have done for a few people. If you can solder, and can drill a couple of holes, maybe you can attempt this.

The idea is that the transmitter can be returned to stock configuration just by throwing a couple of toggle switches.

The toggle to the left of the antenna switches the left stick X axis from Rudder operation to 3 position operation. The 3 position switch is mounted to the upper left side of the transmitter.

Same sort of thing happens on the right stick but switches from Elevator to 3 position.

The upper switches interrupt the wire that normally goes to the pot's wiper and then sends it either to the original place (the pot's wiper) or to the center of a three position switch. The outer terminals of the three position switch go to the outer terminals of the pot. The only tricky part is that you need to set up a voltage divider across the three position switch. Really easy in reality. Just use two 10K ohm resistors. One end from each goes to the center terminal of the switch. The other end of one resistor goes to the top terminal and the other resistor end goes to the bottom terminal. This way, when the switch is in the middle, the voltage it outputs is the same as the pot when it is in the middle.

Hope that all makes sense! It is a nice mod and doesn't end up looking like a hack job if you are careful.

heyok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

heyok.....does it make a difference in the quality (IE: % tolerance) in the resistors for the voltage divider in this application?
Would the outcome be the same if you a 5% vs. a 1% tolerance resistor?
I would think it would, not sure though.

I don't normally play with stuff like this, just asking for my own info.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:01 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
heyok.....does it make a difference in the quality (IE: % tolerance) in the resistors for the voltage divider in this application?
Would the outcome be the same if you a 5% vs. a 1% tolerance resistor?
I would think it would, not sure though.

I don't normally play with stuff like this, just asking for my own info.
About all that would happen if you used a higher tolerance resistor is that the center of the control might not be right in the middle. Worst case one resistor is 5% high in value and one is 5% low, so that would shift the voltage slightly and result in your servo being slightly off center. Probably not an issue at all.

The resistor value really doesn't matter, as long as they are equal value.

Two 1K or up to maybe 100K. If you go too high, it might not really be in the middle due to the loading of the circuit inside that you are feeding. If you go too low, they will get warm or even hot and eat your battery life.
heyok is offline   Reply With Quote

DX-6 and winching - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2.2 winching? DANALLY WRCCA Rules 4 02-01-2010 07:42 AM
Proper Winching... microgoat Videos! 14 04-24-2008 03:19 PM
winching codizzl Newbie General 5 05-18-2007 09:19 PM