Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Venom pro charger false peak

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2012, 01:17 AM   #1

Default Venom pro charger false peak

Anybody else have this same problem? My venom pro charger always false peaks my batteries. I just add up where they leave off till it equals the batt. Capacity. Any experience and what is everyone's opinion on this charger? I like that it has so many different connectors and it does nimh lipo life etc. But wish it wouldn't false peak. I have a 3s 2200mah maxamps lipo that I've never used. Would a false peak and then start the charge over again be bad for lipo ?
rider618 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2012, 01:30 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Venom pro charger false peak

Lipos don't false peak like nimh often does. If a lipo doesn't want to start charging there's a too low voltage detected on one (or all) of the cells. Check your LVC and all connectors. Lipo might be bad too.
Maxx_Savage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Rider, I'm guessing it's not a false peak, you're hitting the 120 minute (2 hour) time limit. This can happen with smaller packs during a balance charge, so it's easier to do with a larger pack & balance charge.

And no, it's not harmful to the pack to do 2 charges back to back.

PS, we have 3 of these chargers, no false peaks but occasionally hit the timer.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 09:08 AM   #4
Proverbial threadkiller

Seven LiPos over the last 2-3 years, I can't ever remember having a false peak on LiPo. I'll assume you're either (as Charlie said) hitting the timer, or false peaking on NiMh/NiCad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider618 View Post
I just add up where they leave off till it equals the batt. Capacity.
For NiMh/NiCad, you'd be better off going by temperature. Once those batteries are full, they'll typically shed off any excess electrons as heat radiation. If you're getting a lot of false peaks, check for a localized hotspot somewhere in the pack. False peaks are usually your first indication you may have a cell going bad (sulfating or shorting internally).

For LiPos, go strictly by voltage. Individual cell voltages should never, ever exceed 4.2 volts. And there should be zero heat during charging.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 01:33 PM   #5

Thank you everybody for the good in formation. My lipo batteey ismt false peaking. I haveent ever charged it . I was just expecting it to false peak when i did charge it because i thouggt if was a charger issue. Good to know it wont though.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:10 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trubble View Post
Seven LiPos over the last 2-3 years, I can't ever remember having a false peak on LiPo. I'll assume you're either (as Charlie said) hitting the timer, or false peaking on NiMh/NiCad.

For NiMh/NiCad, you'd be better off going by temperature. Once those batteries are full, they'll typically shed off any excess electrons as heat radiation. If you're getting a lot of false peaks, check for a localized hotspot somewhere in the pack. False peaks are usually your first indication you may have a cell going bad (sulfating or shorting internally).

For LiPos, go strictly by voltage. Individual cell voltages should never, ever exceed 4.2 volts. And there should be zero heat during charging.
+1.....

NiCD/Nimh was, "Charge to peak, hit a few more times to get the entire pack warm JUST before a race!" A warm battery gives MUCH better performance initially (it's a chemical reaction to release power), thus the "warmth thing".

LiPO is a slightly different animal...... it does not tolerate heat as well as the "older chemistries".

Yes, a "hot cell" in a NiCD/NiMH pack means it's ready to die, time to break out the soldering iron.

PS, rider618.......how the fawk do you say it's "false peaking" if you've never charged it?????!!!!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

What is this guy talking about?
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 07:22 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMR 510RR View Post
What is this guy talking about?
I (east coast), you (west coast) have no clue....maybe someone from the midwest knows??

Maybe a clue here??...... no torque at all

"Is it bad if the pack shrinkwrap is split???"

Last edited by Charlie-III; 10-11-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:32 PM   #9

Charlie I never said my lipo was false peaking. I said my nimhs were. I said I figured it was a charger problem and I assumed that when I do charge my lipo for the first time, I assume it will false peak. I think the battery got so hot from charging that it got brittle on cool down and then split.
Old 10-12-2012, 04:54 AM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Charlie I never said my lipo was false peaking. I said my nimhs were. I said I figured it was a charger problem and I assumed that when I do charge my lipo for the first time, I assume it will false peak. I think the battery got so hot from charging that it got brittle on cool down and then split.
Re-reading the posts, I don't really see where you say NiCD/NiMH false peaking, but you have comments on the LiPO in the 1st post.

Thanks for clarifying. Do you have a temp probe for the charger? I know mine do, use that as well to help prevent overcharging the pack.

No, it's not an issue to charge a pack multiple times, basically just hit "start charge" again just to be sure it's full.

What charge rate do you use? I typically just use "1C", thus a 2200mah pack charges at 2.2Amps, a 1300mah pack charges at 1.3Amps.
I use 1C for all my chemistries.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:03 PM   #11

I charge all my batteries at 3.5 amps. I have always thought a slower charge would be a better charge but maybe since my nimhs are 5000's, maybe 3.5amps is too slow. Maybe that's why my batteries are getting so hot. I have heard of that too.....what you do....2200 mah/ 2.2 amps.......3500 mah/3.5 amps....etc
Old 10-12-2012, 10:57 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I charge all my batteries at 3.5 amps. I have always thought a slower charge would be a better charge but maybe since my nimhs are 5000's, maybe 3.5amps is too slow. Maybe that's why my batteries are getting so hot. I have heard of that too.....what you do....2200 mah/ 2.2 amps.......3500 mah/3.5 amps....etc
There is really no "too slow" a charge other than the time it takes.

Venom pro charger false peak - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacing fan in lipo charger - Venom Pro Charger iamsuperbleeder Electronics 11 04-04-2012 08:06 PM
Venom Pro AC/DC charger Santee Creeper Electronics 3 04-12-2010 12:04 PM
Venom pro charger scram8 Electronics 3 05-16-2009 03:01 PM
Pro-peak charger??? DeaDShorT Electronics 3 07-22-2007 10:08 AM
959 false peak problem/question 72Blazer Electronics 4 05-05-2006 04:45 PM