Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Castle link help.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-14-2012, 11:36 AM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Exclamation Castle link help.

I have a problem with Castle link cant get program my bec or my brand new micro sidewinder. Im running windows 7 and google chrome. I think my driver is installed properly but im not sure i have the right usb cord, but any mini usb should work right? I have tried 3 different cords. But on every one i plug in when i connect the link it gets really hot and i quickly unplug it. why? and if it dosnt get hot, both colored boxes stay red... please help.
Caleb
MiniMorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Castle link help.

Yep, any USB cable will work.

Do you have the PC board plugged in correctly? By the 3 small pins on the PC board (that go into a BEC or ESC) there is a polarity marking on the board, make sure it matches what you're plugging into. The "-" on the board should be going to the black or brown of the device you're connecting to.

To do an installed ESC or BEC, you "may" need to plug a battery pack in since the Castle link can't power up multiple devices at once.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 12:14 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
Yep, any USB cable will work.

Do you have the PC board plugged in correctly? By the 3 small pins on the PC board (that go into a BEC or ESC) there is a polarity marking on the board, make sure it matches what you're plugging into. The "-" on the board should be going to the black or brown of the device you're connecting to.

To do an installed ESC or BEC, you "may" need to plug a battery pack in since the Castle link can't power up multiple devices at once.
I just tried that plugged my sidewinder in correctly (polority) in to link and then into the the computer and in less than 5 seconds, its too hot too touch.
Old 10-14-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Sounds like it might be a bad Castle Link. You shouldn't have any batteries connected to the BEC or the ESC when you plug them in. They should automatically show up when you plug them in.

I like to start their app first, then plug in the ESC/BEC to the link, then plug USB into the laptop.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 04:40 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ik632 View Post
Sounds like it might be a bad Castle Link. You shouldn't have any batteries connected to the BEC or the ESC when you plug them in. They should automatically show up when you plug them in.

I like to start their app first, then plug in the ESC/BEC to the link, then plug USB into the laptop.
Well i just bought it off here..
Old 10-15-2012, 04:58 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

If they are sitting by themselves, then yes, the USB cable can power them.

If they're wired together (dual ESC's, ESC & BEC, dual ESC's & BEC) you may have to plug a battery pack in (as I mentioned earlier).
Old 10-15-2012, 06:48 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I start Castle Link, plug USB into board, plug battery in, plug board into device needing programming.
Wicked Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 07:38 AM   #8
RCC Addict

I always unplug the device from the receiver and plug it into the programmer then into the computer.

Charlie, what do you mean by connected together? I have my dual Sidewinders in my truck and they are connected to motors and the battery leads are connected together. All I need to do is unplug the lead from receiver and connect to programmer.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I always unplug the device from the receiver and plug it into the programmer then into the computer.

Charlie, what do you mean by connected together? I have my dual Sidewinders in my truck and they are connected to motors and the battery leads are connected together. All I need to do is unplug the lead from receiver and connect to programmer.
I'm not sure I think he is trying to say like if you removed the red wire from esc for a bec, you will need a battery.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:47 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by messiah1 View Post
I start Castle Link, plug USB into board, plug battery in, plug board into device needing programming.
Once I connect link to computer it gets super hot tho.
Old 10-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniMorris View Post
If it does it as soon as you hook up the link to the USB without connecting an esc or bec to it, then yes, rules out everything else but the link and USB port on the comp.
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 12:22 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:

Quote:
I'm not sure I think he is trying to say like if you removed the red wire from esc for a bec, you will need a battery.
I have 1 ESC red wire to the RX, the other is out since I run my BEC direct to the servo and don't want 2 or more BEC's fighting.
Sometimes it works if I unplug from the RX and plug in the Castle Link, sometimes I need to plug a pack in.
Both ESC inputs & BEC input are all common to a single battery pack.

Quote:
That SUCKS...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartronicshn View Post
If it does it as soon as you hook up the link to the USB without connecting an esc or bec to it, then yes, rules out everything else but the link and USB port on the comp.
+1..... sounds like an issue with the Castle Link PC board or PC.....more likely the PC board.

Do you have anyone local that can help test??
Old 10-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I don't have any locals to test :(
Old 10-17-2012, 07:43 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
I have 1 ESC red wire to the RX, the other is out since I run my BEC direct to the servo and don't want 2 or more BEC's fighting.
Sometimes it works if I unplug from the RX and plug in the Castle Link, sometimes I need to plug a pack in.
Both ESC inputs & BEC input are all common to a single battery pack.
Gotcha. I don't pull the center wire on the ESC/BEC because I run the two Sidewinders into the RX and since they are the same voltage they "shouldn't" fight. Then the BEC has a bypass harness to send full voltage to servo, but none to RX.

So, it works for me because I don't remove pins. Makes sense now.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

I was having a problem programming a BEC and noticed that it was trying to power the ESC as well through the battery side of the connections, it never would detect on the computer and the light on the link stayed red.

I think someone may have already mentioned this, but worded differently.

I never though of plugging in the battery to program, what I did was put plugs in line on the battery input of the BEC where it splits off from the main plug. When it comes time to reprogram anything I unplug the BEC from the battery leads and everything works fine.

treys1 is offline   Reply With Quote