Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Fxr issues: blown capacitor, glitching...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 10:45 AM   #1

Default Fxr issues: blown capacitor, glitching...

Ok, so I was wiring up my wraith last night and have ran into some issues. Here is what I'm running:
Texin fxr (used)
Cc 10 amp BEC set at 7.2v (new)
Holmes 27t torque master (new)
Hs7954 (new)
Dx3s with micro receiver
3s 3400 mah 30c
Initially I wired it all up and ran it on a 2 cell. It ran like it did not have a BEC , it would glitch horribly whenever full throttle was applied. I then switched over to a 3s and changed the fxr settings for 3s and it ran fine for a good 20 minutes. I took the battery out for a charge and changed out the futaba bls157hv servo I had been running for a 7954. I then powered everything up and saw smoke coming from the capacitor just as it blew up like a firecracker. I checked the polarity and it was wired correctly. Any ideas what would cause all of this? Everything is new but the fxr and the receiver, could either of those be the cause? Why would it run on 3s but not 2s, maybe a defective bec? The only thing i changed before it blew was the servo. Thanks in advance

Last edited by Crab; 10-15-2012 at 10:47 AM.
Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Fxr issues: blown capacitor, glitching...

Which CAP blew....the FX-R input CAP? I will guess the FX-R cap it what blew.

Is the BEC wired direct to the servo or through the RX? I'm going to guess through the RX.

If the BEC is through the RX, did you remove the red wire from the ESC to RX???

It's possible that when you swapped the servo, you shorted the ESC CAP to a pin, this is why it blew (again, assuming my guesses above are correct).
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #3

Default Re: Fxr issues: blown capacitor, glitching...

The red wire on the esc was removed. The capacitor was a tt3520 soldered directly to the + - on the esc. The BEC was wired to the battery tabs on the bottom side of the fxr and is plugged into the rx. How would I have caused a short on the CAP by changing the servo?

I also tried using a mamba max pro (which I knew worked properly) with the same setup and it wouldn't work either. I wired it with and without the external BEC and I didn't have any throttle, just steering. It wouldn't chime when powered up, it would just flash the yellow light. This leads me to believe I have an issue with my rx?

Last edited by Crab; 10-15-2012 at 01:53 PM.
Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: FX-R issues: blown capacitor, glitching...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crab View Post
The red wire on the esc was removed. The capacitor was a tt3520 soldered directly to the + - on the esc. The BEC was wired to the battery tabs on the bottom side of the FX-R and is plugged into the RX. How would I have caused a short on the CAP by changing the servo?

I also tried using a mamba max pro (which I knew worked properly) with the same setup and it wouldn't work either. I wired it with and without the external BEC and I didn't have any throttle, just steering. It wouldn't chime when powered up, it would just flash the yellow light. This leads me to believe I have an issue with my RX?
Depending on how tight your rig is, you may have bumped the cap and caused a short. It may have been hard to see, not saying that's your issue, but it could be.

Based on this.... Castle Creations | FAQ: 1/10th Scale Products
you may now have a RX issue. Read near the bottom.
Did you calibrate the MMP to the RX after you swapped it in?

Since you have steering, the RX is not totally FUBAR. Try plugging the servo into the throttle port on the RX. See if the trigger will make the servo move.
If it does, you're down to the ESC.
If it doesn't, you may have a RX issue.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote

Fxr issues: blown capacitor, glitching... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FXR Capacitor??? draper_88 Electronics 4 02-15-2011 08:51 PM
Tekin FXR capacitor 1BadJeepBruiser Electronics 6 01-13-2011 12:12 PM
FXR capacitor... k9popo Electronics 4 10-30-2009 11:14 AM
FXR Capacitor Ktbone Newbie General 6 08-14-2009 07:38 AM
Capacitor for Tekin FXR? robert97dodge Electronics 3 06-18-2009 10:58 PM