Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Trouble with Axial NVS....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 10:25 AM   #1

Default Trouble with Axial NVS....

My current electronics setup is this:

Tekin FXR w/ Pro 35t (Running on 3s)
Hitec HS-5646WP (Needs to run at 7.4v, currently at 6v though)
Futaba 4PL w/ R2104GF

Axial Night Vision System ( I have to use separate 2s pack for lights they can only handle 9v input MAX) (here is the issue)

3Racing Winch (also tapped into the 2s with the lights)

I have a Castle BEC to bring the system up to 7.4v.. but cant figure out for the life of me how to wire everything.. If i removed the red wire from the line from the ESC to NVS brain, lights wont work.. If i remove the red wire from the NVS going in to the receiver, lights don't work... Basically, What do i need is a wiring diagram.. LOL.. Called Axial, they said they would try to figure it all out, but they never called me back.

If anyone had done a setup like I and trying to do, PLEASE tell me how you did it.. I'm out of ideas...

Thanks!
DrFizz2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Trouble with Axial NVS....

So you have an external CC 10A BEC, correct?

Is the BEC plugged into the servo direct or the RX?
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 12:44 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I made one of these to isolate 7.4 v to my servo. This way I dont need to hack up my BEC leads, or my Servo leads. You need to avoid running 7.4 to your RX, they are generally made for 4.8v, and sometimes handle 6v ok.

The end with just the signal wire (white) goes in RX. The lead from BEC goes into the 2wire female and the servo goes in the female with 3 wires. I have one of my ESC's powering the rx.
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:04 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ok, don't do what I did, i now have a twitch in my steering when i give throttle. If I go servo to Rx, no glitch. Tried shortening the white wire, no difference.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillproof View Post
Ok, don't do what I did, i now have a twitch in my steering when i give throttle. If I go servo to Rx, no glitch. Tried shortening the white wire, no difference.
Run an additional ground to the RX from that adaptor you did. It's a common need for Spektrum radios.
Old 10-19-2012, 01:30 PM   #6
RCC Addict

I agree with Charlie. I had twitching on my crawler and another truck. I cut open a y harness and added an extra ground wire to go to the rx. Problem solved. I guess its because the servo need grounding with the signal wire.
M1tch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 01:48 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie-III View Post
So you have an external CC 10A BEC, correct?

Is the BEC plugged into the servo direct or the RX?

Yes, Castle 10a BEC.. Plugged directly into the rx.

The NVS system requires itself to be a pass through for the servo and ESC... so the wirng goes from ESC to NVS brain, then NVS brain to rx... same for servo.. wired to NVS ( for blinkers) and that passes through back to the rx.

Would a picture help at all?
Old 10-19-2012, 01:53 PM   #8

I THINK I GOT IT!!!!

Moved the location of the extension (used to remove BEC signal from esc) so.. Run from ESC to NVS minus the red wire...

Wire servo as normal.

Install BEC as normal... Plugged directly into the RX.

Servo gets benefit of BEC, NVS is isolated from higher input voltage.... Makes perfect sense now that I did this... I'll post pics or a quick video for future reference...
Old 10-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

ok so bridging the ground between BEC and ESC BEC is not bad. I wasnt sure. Adding the extra ground between RX and servo, and BEC. Hope nothing fries.. :P
Old 10-19-2012, 03:18 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Ok works like a champ, sorry for hijacking the thread...
Old 10-19-2012, 03:30 PM   #11

Here is a YOUTUBE LINK to how I did it
Old 10-19-2012, 04:12 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFizz2k1 View Post
Would a picture help at all?
I understand, it makes sense. Glad you made it work out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spillproof View Post
Ok works like a champ, sorry for hijacking the thread...
From what you described, I figured it was the issue. Like I said, some radios NEED the ground there, some don't. I have no issues with my Futaba 3PM-x or hacked GT3B running the BEC direct to the servo and only the servo signal going to the RX.

Glad it worked for you.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:45 PM   #13

Exclamation Re: Trouble with Axial NVS....

Hi I just finished wiring in my NVS and i'm wondering if anyone else is having the same issue i am.

Everything is wired just as it is suppose to be im using a castle esc and futaba steering servo with at spectrum DX3S radio with a 2s Lipo. When i turn the NVS all the LEDs flash once really quick then all it does is the turn signals all flash like 4 way hazards. The only other thing I can get it to do is if i hold the aux button as i turn the NVS on the lights all come on but turn signals still flash all 4. Then once you turn the system off again it goes right back to just the turn signals flashing. I have already had the NVS brain itself replaced once and the new one did the exact same thing.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
frogfacejt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #14
RCC Addict

I was told by axial you have to reset it EVERY! time you turn it off. YEA.... it sucks!!!!!
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 10:36 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
I was told by axial you have to reset it EVERY! time you turn it off. YEA.... it sucks!!!!!

Yeah but by reset all they mean is run through the setup which is turn it left then right apply throttle then reverse mine wont let me even do that all it does is flash the blinkers like 4way hazards.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:45 PM   #16

Just installed mine and doing exactly the same thing

Did some diagnosing found out that with my spectrum servos it wasn't working properly.
When I put another spectrum same thing. Tried with the original axial servo and a hitec, works fine.

Last edited by Rhkg; 10-18-2013 at 07:17 PM.
Rhkg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2013, 08:36 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhkg View Post
Just installed mine and doing exactly the same thing

Did some diagnosing found out that with my spectrum servos it wasn't working properly.
When I put another spectrum same thing. Tried with the original axial servo and a hitec, works fine.

Thats odd ill have to try a different servo, but I'm not using a spektrum servo im using a futaba servo.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:02 PM   #18

Wonder if you all know why I am having troubles with the NVS. I have basically same setup Tekin FXR, Tekin 35T, Spektrum DX4S w/ SR410 reciever, Warn winch. I got lucky mine all hooks up nicely with Warn winch. I also use 2 batteries.
Now the issue it is having is the right turn signals blink constantly unless i turn left. Also the headlights and brake lights get brighter as i step on the gas. Now i do not have a BEC which that might solve the brightness but i doubt it would solve the constant blinking by the right signal. Any thoughts please let me know. I wish it had a reset but the only reset is every time you turn it on you turn right then left etc.
Edit...Im using a HiTec HS5646WP servo

Last edited by RCSLIM; 04-17-2014 at 01:40 PM.
RCSLIM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 05:52 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCSLIM View Post
Wonder if you all know why I am having troubles with the NVS. I have basically same setup Tekin FXR, Tekin 35T, Spektrum DX4S w/ SR410 reciever, Warn winch. I got lucky mine all hooks up nicely with Warn winch. I also use 2 batteries.
Now the issue it is having is the right turn signals blink constantly unless i turn left. Also the headlights and brake lights get brighter as i step on the gas. Now i do not have a BEC which that might solve the brightness but i doubt it would solve the constant blinking by the right signal. Any thoughts please let me know. I wish it had a reset but the only reset is every time you turn it on you turn right then left etc.
Edit...Im using a HiTec HS5646WP servo
Hello,

I have the same problem too with DX4R. It's not about transmitter settings or hardware involved, it's about DSMR protocol. And the receiver itself. As you may notice, if you change the framerate, from 5.5ms to 20ms (not that 5.5 will work because actually is not a fast receiver afterall), the light system flashes different. If you try the fast 2ch DSMR receiver will work with trimming to left or right at 32 offset value from DX4 settings.

Axial buys cheap receiver and transmitters from HK. AX-3 and AR-3 are good examples. So they constructed a light system based on that crap shit because most of their sales are on RTR trucks, hard to believe that many will change the radio system. Mistake!

SO, it's like this, you have 4 options:

1. Use another 4ch system for your truck, but test it first, NO DSMR
2. Use DSM/DSM2 receivers at 22ms rate, less will flash and hazardous blinks happen, but they have maximum 3 channels
3. Like a stupid dude put all light strings on auxiliary on NVS and pretend that you are cool and forget that you spent 100$ on it (all your RC friends will notice that you are indeed, not recommended)
4. Start a petition at axialracing.com to recall the units

PS: A cheap crap HK light system for 10$ will work better than NVS. I paid a lot for a crap design. I'm not saying that is not solid, cause is big (6 aux), but come on Axial, at least leave a pot to adjust the deadband!
alexandru.vedes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 03:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandru.vedes View Post
Hello,

I have the same problem too with DX4R. It's not about transmitter settings or hardware involved, it's about DSMR protocol. And the receiver itself. As you may notice, if you change the framerate, from 5.5ms to 20ms (not that 5.5 will work because actually is not a fast receiver afterall), the light system flashes different. If you try the fast 2ch DSMR receiver will work with trimming to left or right at 32 offset value from DX4 settings.

Axial buys cheap receiver and transmitters from HK. AX-3 and AR-3 are good examples. So they constructed a light system based on that crap shit because most of their sales are on RTR trucks, hard to believe that many will change the radio system. Mistake!

SO, it's like this, you have 4 options:

1. Use another 4ch system for your truck, but test it first, NO DSMR
2. Use DSM/DSM2 receivers at 22ms rate, less will flash and hazardous blinks happen, but they have maximum 3 channels
3. Like a stupid dude put all light strings on auxiliary on NVS and pretend that you are cool and forget that you spent 100$ on it (all your RC friends will notice that you are indeed, not recommended)
4. Start a petition at axialracing.com to recall the units

PS: A cheap crap HK light system for 10$ will work better than NVS. I paid a lot for a crap design. I'm not saying that is not solid, cause is big (6 aux), but come on Axial, at least leave a pot to adjust the deadband!
I've tested another option and works if you have also rear steering. You can switch the leads of the servos between them. in this case AUX1 becomes STR and STR becomes AUX1. From the mixer menu assign a button, let's say A which is 3 position button and switch from there the mods of steering. Also connect the STR lead from NVS to AUX1 and NOT ON STR. All car is front to rear switched. In this way LEDs will all be stable at any framerates!! Problem arrived from the signal of the STR channel on DSMR protocol. AUX1 and AUX2 are somehow "classic" channels. Also must reverse both servos to control left to be left and right to be right.

So it's a matter of taste. I prefer myself to drive it with both steering servos active, so will not be a big deal. Also must remember always that rear is front and front is read on switch A, when blocking one axle or the other for straight drive. I'm pretty happy with this solution. If you don't have 2 steering systems forget about it, you are stuck in the same situation.

Hope that will help many on feature!
alexandru.vedes is offline   Reply With Quote

Trouble with Axial NVS.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trouble with Axial NVS system gobo Newbie General 20 09-21-2014 10:38 PM
Axial NVS vs. 3Racing? DRW-FJ40 Scale Accessories 6 09-04-2011 08:19 AM
Axial nvs Jay2380 Electronics 0 05-26-2011 11:32 AM
Axial NVS Instructions? Knytemare Electronics 3 12-05-2010 07:05 PM
Axial NVS alternative neo Axial SCX-10 1 04-16-2010 06:37 AM