Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: More power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 05:32 PM   #1

Default More power

Im wanting more speed out of my hpi crawler king, is the higher turn motor such as a 55t faster than a 45t? im pretty sure mines a 55t motor. and im looking for more speed torque and staying brushed (less money) also i already have the xl5 traxxas waterproof esc... any info will e great!
Str8upownya1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-2012, 05:36 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: More power

Lower winds produce more power....so a 45t will make more power than a 55t....

A good machine wound motor would probably fit the bill, depending on how much more power you wanted either a 45t or 35t....more power=more broken parts though....

Later EddieO
EddieO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2012, 05:43 PM   #3

Ok thanks, im just wanting it faster for the most part, the crawler king is VERY slow. and i have two. my son and i love them. i just want more speed and me able to sling mud
Old 10-19-2012, 06:24 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

You could use a larger pinion, if that is an option. You need to make sure you don't over heat as you gear up, but its a $5 fix.
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 07:45 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8upownya1 View Post
OK thanks, I'm just wanting it faster for the most part, the crawler king is VERY slow, and I have two. My son and I love them. I just want more speed and me being able to sling mud
For more speed, change:

Motor wind, go to less turns (drop from 55T to 45T or lower)
Pinion, go larger/more teeth
Spur, go smaller/less teeth
Battery, go more volts/cells. If 2S LiPO go to 3S LiPO (if your ESC can handle it)

For more torque, change:

Motor wind, go to more turns (raise from 55T to 65T or higher)
Pinion, go smaller/less teeth
Spur, go larger/more teeth
Battery, go more volts/cells. If 2S LiPO go to 3S LiPO (if your ESC can handle it)

Gearing has limits, mostly how far you can move the motor and/or what you can buy.

Gearing can also produce a lot of heat in the motor if you try to go too far towards speed. It will also only get you so far, then it's a different motor/ESC/battery.
Gearing is a minor change, others are larger changes.

Note: motors, going from a 55T sealed motor to a machine wound rebuildable 55T motor to a handwound 55T motor will gain in power (torque & speed) as you move up in better motors. All this with the same gearing, battery, ESC and motor winds.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 11:26 AM   #6

Awsome, thats alot of help! Now ive gotte another problem... I got the crawler king out yesterday evening to realize somthing in the reciever or esc isnt working properly. Its only wprk properly for a min then jumps around. So I was thinking about replacing all the electronics. With like traxxas tq1 and waterproof esc like my sons has.. Any input on this? Alot of decently priced reciever and controllers on ebay. And by the way I got a 27t motor
Old 10-20-2012, 01:18 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Str8upownya1 View Post
Awesome, thats a lot of help! Now I've got another problem... I got the crawler king out yesterday evening to realize something in the receiver or ESC isn't working properly. It only works properly for a min then jumps around. So I was thinking about replacing all the electronics. Like a Traxxas TQ1 and waterproof esc like my sons has.. Any input on this? A lot of decently priced receivers and controllers on Ebay. And by the way I got a 27t motor
I would start by checking the TX batteries.
What "jumps around", throttle, steering, both??
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 01:23 PM   #8

Yes sir, throttle and steering jumping. I took my son traxxas esc and tried it, and it didnt help it?
Old 10-21-2012, 04:56 PM   #9

Ok, im confused like crazy. Ive swaped parts around trying to get it to work anf it doesnt. I guess im just going to order a new radio and receiver from ebay and try and get it going that way.

More power - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Losi Lipo Works On Flight Power/Thunder Power Balance plate?? fa1rch1ld Electronics 0 01-18-2010 11:46 PM
Thunder Power 1350 Pro Power 30c review Just Zach Electronics 35 09-04-2009 09:12 AM
High Power BEC/Servo Power Supply MANTIS Electronics 14 08-09-2006 03:33 PM
Using a computer power supply to power up my charger.... AYKBOBCAT Electronics 15 03-30-2005 07:41 PM