Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: my first rc ever hep with lipo battery .. pic inside

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2012, 12:03 AM   #1

Default my first rc ever hep with lipo battery .. pic inside

hello guys, i just brought my first rc car... SCX10.. i notice that it didnt came with a battery so i decide to buy a lipo battery, but i notice that i need to do some modifications before i can run the car... can u guys tell me what i need to buy ? i want a goood battery that will last me at least 30 minutes of running.. any good pack of battery with charger? any video on how to do it? im going to do it my self... here is the car
vmarcial27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2012, 12:42 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: my first rc ever hep with lipo battery .. pic inside

These guys have some great prices on what you need and there is a ton of info on the forum about how to pick the right battery for the rig your running as well as a charger.You can build the rig around the battery type to fit or pick the right size dimension wise after the rig is done.

This a great site and lots of helpful folks,also try using the search engine to see if you get the answers you need first,but don't be shy about asking for help...

almost forgot,it may he;p if you post up pics of what you have and where you plan to place your battery.
kuatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 02:16 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

There are not really any modifications you will need to make so long as the battery you buy fits in the truck.

I would recommend:

2s 30c 3000mah lipo or something in the neighborhood (2500-3500mah) to get you going. You will need to buy a new plug to solder onto the ESC (electronic speed controller) just get a pack that matches the battery you buy. I would recommend getting at least 2 batteries as you probably wont want to stop after just one pack.

You will also need a lipo capable battery charger.

Some links for you to look at...

Batteries:
Sky Lipo 3000mAh 7.4V 30C (verify this will fit in the truck, I think it will)
or
Sky Lipo 2650mAh 7.4V 30C (again check to make sure it will fit)

They are both out of stock but they have others similar, just look a bit you will find something.

Charger:
Thunder AC6 Smart LiPo Balance Charger/Discharger w/ AC Adapter for 1-6 Lipo/ 1-15 Nimh + USB to PC Software

You will need to make sure the LVC (low voltage cutoff) is enabled (I cant remember if they are on from the factory or not) check your manual it should have instructions on how to do that.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #4

what do i need to buy in order to be able to used lipo and nimh ?
vmarcial27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:37 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Batteries, a charger that will charge both of them (just about any lipo capable charger will charge older battery types like nimh) and matching connectors on all the batteries and the ESC...Its not rockets science dude, maybe you should be posting in the newbie section.

Also, if you currently dont have any nimh batteries why would you buy any? With the price of Lipo batteries and the performance benefits its a waste of money.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

What do you have for an ESC? If it supports lipo (low voltage cutoff), all you need is the battery and a charger. if it doesn't, then you need an external low voltage alarm. I get mine off ebay for about $4.

Some goodies to have anyways include a lipo voltage checker, that reads independant cell voltage. I have a little one in my field bag, and a better one with discharge and balance functions, for my work bench.
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I run a SPC 2s 25c 5000mah Lipo in my stock SCX10. I get around 3 hours of run time. My batteries in my radio usually run out before my Lipo. I paid about $30 for the battery with a deans connector already on it. All I had to do was change the esc plug to deans. For a charger, I use a Thunder AC680. It does what it needs to do and I have never had any issues with it.
SmokeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: my first RC ever hep with LiPO battery .. pic inside

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmarcial27 View Post
What do I need to buy in order to be able to use LiPO and NiMH?
Where in NJ are you? Maybe a trip to a good local hobby shop is in order. I know of some in different parts of the state.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 05:30 PM   #9
RCC Addict

I hate to say it (and be that guy) but you should read up in the newbie section. There's a ton of great information that covers most of this. Before running the LiPo you need to understand the safety measures first. I don't really want to read about you setting things on fire in a few days.
ik632 is offline   Reply With Quote

my first rc ever hep with lipo battery .. pic inside - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What Zippy Lipo battery fits a Crawler King? Or whats your favorite 2c lipo battery? phunkodelic HPI Wheely King 20 08-31-2009 01:35 PM
my dna dig skips im a tard hep me hep me! flapjack Colorado 36 02-15-2009 05:37 PM
how much can a pede tranny take? Pic inside! Dubs Chops General Crawlers 10 01-26-2008 10:40 AM