Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Lets talk servos and servo power

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-14-2006, 11:50 PM   #1
MWRCA'er

Default Lets talk servos and servo power

Ok, what is out there? In order for me to buy a servo it has to meet a few strict requirements.
  1. High torque (111oz or higher)
  2. Full metal gears (Hitec and other brands put one plastic gear in the box, it sometimes strips that sucks.)
  3. Horns no servos savers (They have no place on my crawlers I want to turn not load up a spring.)
  4. Replacement parts (gear sets and spares are nice on those far from home runs as long as they don't out weigh the cost of a new servo.)
  5. Long lasting (I'm flat out tired of buying servos every month I need servos that last)
  6. Run time (I don't want a servo sucking down all of my battery juice)
  7. Standard size (enough said)
  8. Price (under $100 I'm not made of money)
Stuff I have been using

8 GWS SO6 at $18 each The cheap price and solid unbreakable gear train is a major plus. However, the case and torque is just not up to super class crawling duty and cracks. Also the centering device goes out after a while leaving the servo hunting.

2 Skylon Cen servos $32, seemed good at first, good torque, cheap price, very strong case. After a while one of them lost all of its power and it was weak. I chipped off some of the gear teeth in the other servo i had.

Hitec digital 5545MG or something like that, Free I won it in a giveaway. Longest lasting servo thus far. However, it is currently has issues going full strokes. It just kind of pulses when it turns. I like it though, the torque output is good (165oz) it could always use more. But, I'm guessing with a wheel adaptor change I bet it would be about right. Anyone know how to send in a hitec servo for repair?

I'm looking for a solid servo that can steer my Clod stick crawler around. With this latest comp craze here in the midwest crappy servos just don't cut it. I'm currently running 40 series Moabs with the Thundertech adaptors. However, I plan to go to Thundertech CVD's and Rcguy adaptors sometime later on. I'm using the super rooster to power the setup. Really just looking for the last servo I will ever have to buy.

A few other questions about servo power.

How long do your reciever packs last on a full charge? How many main packs do you run though before you change your RX pack? Do you gain noticeable runtime for the main pack?

Would I see any real power gain if I decided to tap 5 of the cells from the 6cell stick pack used for main power? Verses if I used the Super rooster to power the servos.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-2006, 08:08 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

I run Hitec 5645's on my NN now and I ran them also on my stick chassis. I have never had a problem with them.
FrankyRizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

i can attest to that i ran his NN clod around on sunday and never had a problem with them... ill be putting them on my clod when i get one.
dieselfuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 09:43 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

^^i'll take your word for it, i had bought the 645, and didn't quite cut it so i'am getting a couple for one of my clods
cartronicshn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 12:45 PM   #5
MWRCA'er

Thats what I think I'll do then. Pick up another hitec 5645 to match the front. Since I will have all the warrenty info from that new servo I can send back my old hitec 5645 in for repair.
Mnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 01:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I'm a huge fan of Airtronics servos and I run the 94359's. For your price range, go with the 94358. It's essentially the same servo as the 359, but has a plastic first gear (and no heatsink like the 359). You can always replace the plastic gear with a metal one as they have a kit for it.

The 358/359 have more torque (200 oz) and are much faster (.10 sec) than the hitecs mentioned..though more expensive, it's worth it IMO. You can grab the 358 for $99 at Tower, perhaps cheaper elsewhere.
wyattburp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2006, 07:26 PM   #7

Servo Torque Chart
Bad_Habit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:15 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

The 5-cell tap isn't the best idea, as I've found out the hard way. It introduces a potential voltage that wants to fulfill itself by shorting out across your ESC's receiver leads. You'll probably be okay as long as you only run 6 cells, but any more than that and you're gonna smoke something. Do the receiver pack or run off the BEC.
microgoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:42 AM   #9
Moderator Rule Breaker

I found this on servocity.com thought it might or might not be helpful, Which this be a good way to figure what servo's would be good for your truck.

Torque - This is the maximum power the servo can produce. It is normally rated in inch-ounces. This means that the servo can move this set amount with a 1” arm attached to the output shaft or spline. Example: A servo with a torque rating of 130 in.-oz. can move that amount with a 1 inch arm or slightly over 8 lbs. To convert in-oz. to pounds of force, divide this rating by 16. Example: 130/16=8.125 which is in pounds.
eric113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2006, 03:52 PM   #10