Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Goat 3S on 2S questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2012, 02:51 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Goat 3S on 2S questions

I picked up the Novak Goat 3S 21.5T combo. I love it, unbelievably smooth. However even with stock gearing it's slower than my AE-2/27T combo. I was expecting this thing to scoot like a raped ape, but it moves like a snail, it may be comparable to 2S with a 35T. I went out to test it, and ended up just carrying it around and placing it before the obstacles. I have set it up properly, I am not running the BEC. I do plan on 3S, but before I pour even more money into this thing, I want to make sure this setup isn't just slow, if it's going to be slow on 2S or 3S, what motors do I have to speed it up...yet keep it a composed scale crawler? Ultimately I want a brushless setup that can FLY, yet crawl good. I know it can be done, just how is my question?

Thanks all.
SinCity is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2012, 04:32 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

That motor is just very slow. A lot of the speed decrease comes from the large 14mm rotor which isn't needed at all and it makes the motors start-up more jumpy than smooth like you want. For a scaler I think a 18.5t with the 12.3mm rotor not the 14mm on 3s would be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by benoj View Post
That motor is just very slow. A lot of the speed decrease comes from the large 14mm rotor which isn't needed at all and it makes the motors start-up more jumpy than smooth like you want. For a scaler I think a 18.5t with the 12.3mm rotor not the 14mm on 3s would be good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks for the detailed answer. Do you have a link to a specific motor that is going to be compatible? I may be putting this new 21.5T up for sale.

Thanks again
Old 10-24-2012, 06:59 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Default Re: Goat 3S on 2S questions

I pretty much agree with what benoj said. So your stuck with Novak "crawler" labeled motors unless you swap the ESC. The older silver motors have the 12.3mm rotor, but you can't replace the sensor harness or get the sensor board out to waterproof it.

If you want an off the shelf motor, the 13.5 Ballistic "crawler" is your best option. Very close to the stock motor in speed and way up on power. Or you can simply drop the 13.5 stator in your current motor, that's probably your cheapest option.

If you do the "build a ballistic" you have choices between 13.5 and 18.5 stators and 12.3, 13 and 14mm rotors to get the speed you want. Bigger rotors slow the speed way down.

If you sell it all and start over with a Mamba Max Pro motor choices are almost unlimited and voltage can be upped to 6s (these motors on 6s are straight insane powerhouses). The Goat ESC really limits your motor choices which in turn limits everything.

I run a MMP with a 12.3mm 13.5 in my 1.9 SCX. Smoother and faster than the 27t it replaced and I can gear higher without heat problems. On 2s it will break shit, on 3s it explodes shit, be prepared to upgrade every single part of your drivetrain. Tranny gears/outputs, MIP driveshafts, HD gears, lockers, VP or Super 300 CVD's, C's, knuckles and housings or beef tubes. It's all gonna go, along with a lotta $$$$$, but once upgraded it'll hold.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2012, 03:54 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
I pretty much agree with what benoj said. So your stuck with Novak "crawler" labeled motors unless you swap the ESC. The older silver motors have the 12.3mm rotor, but you can't replace the sensor harness or get the sensor board out to waterproof it.

If you want an off the shelf motor, the 13.5 Ballistic "crawler" is your best option. Very close to the stock motor in speed and way up on power. Or you can simply drop the 13.5 stator in your current motor, that's probably your cheapest option.

If you do the "build a ballistic" you have choices between 13.5 and 18.5 stators and 12.3, 13 and 14mm rotors to get the speed you want. Bigger rotors slow the speed way down.

If you sell it all and start over with a Mamba Max Pro motor choices are almost unlimited and voltage can be upped to 6s (these motors on 6s are straight insane powerhouses). The Goat ESC really limits your motor choices which in turn limits everything.

I run a MMP with a 12.3mm 13.5 in my 1.9 SCX. Smoother and faster than the 27t it replaced and I can gear higher without heat problems. On 2s it will break shit, on 3s it explodes shit, be prepared to upgrade every single part of your drivetrain. Tranny gears/outputs, MIP driveshafts, HD gears, lockers, VP or Super 300 CVD's, C's, knuckles and housings or beef tubes. It's all gonna go, along with a lotta $$$$$, but once upgraded it'll hold.

Thanks!

I am debating on trying to return the ESC/Motor combo tomorrow after work. If I can't return it due to a stupid policy (but a policy is a policy), what options do I have with this motor? I see in the manual they have quite a few different stators, not sure which one would be best though. I am going to step up to 3S this weekend and hopefully achieve some speed. I have seen brushless motors that claim to be compatible with the Novak ESC. Any input on wether it can be done? I know this ESC has the potential, but I'm stuck on the motor right now and wondering why it's so slow. I could change my gearing, but I honestly don't think that will do much. However with the amount of torque, I don't think gearing up will hurt it, just make the speed a little quicker. I hate to keep asking questions, but do you have a link to the "stator" thing that I need? I have never really taken a brushless apart, just purchased them for outrageous amounts and had fun. What will I gain with a different stator? A large amount of speed? If it's going to be barely noticeable, I'll just take my changes and enjoy it for what it is.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

This is what I am looking for right?

Novak Electronics - Ballistic 540 Crawling Hand-Wound Stators

Which "Option" is best for speed and crawling? I stumbled upon Hobby Kings site, they have some pretty sweet looking setups for dirt cheap. Opinions?
Old 10-25-2012, 07:56 PM   #7
RCC Addict

With the hobby king motors you won't have drag brake or instant reverse, no motor other than a "crawler" labeled Novak will.

Changing the stator to a 13.5 will make the motor a 13.5. The stator is the wind and is the main factor in speed (besides voltage). I can't remember all the numbers right off, but changing to 13.5 will roughly triple your speed. Where as 3s will only be a 50% gain. I think with 12.3mm rotors a 21.5 is 1200 KV (rpm per volt) and a 13.5 is 3,300, 14mm rotors drop that roughly 25%.

The more I think about it the more I'd recommend swapping the stator before going 3s, it's way more bang for the buck. Then after you've tripled your speed if you want more you can get another 50% from 3s packs.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Goat 3S on 2S questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Goat 3s Programming questions... Shinobid Axial AX-10 Scorpion 0 03-23-2012 08:49 PM
Upgrading from a Goat 2s to 3s Questions Quinn Electronics 4 06-06-2011 03:12 PM
Novak Goat Vs Novak Goat Ballistic?? k_r_a_c_k_e_r Electronics 3 02-19-2010 07:53 PM
A couple AX-10 / Novak Goat Questions... thenewguy821 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 10-10-2007 11:19 AM
Questions questions questions quest qowirnl RYY Newbie General 11 10-04-2006 08:18 PM