Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: battery help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

Default battery help

Hey guys I need some help. I have been away from electric RC's for some time. I was spending my time with nitro. I have to say its been a long time and I have seemed to miss a bunch since I was gone.

From what I have been reading I personally do not want a LIPO battery. I know they are better but I do not have the time to spend with it to make sure it doesnt burn my house down and plus I would need to spend way more than I want to for everything needed for the change over. So my question is will I be able to run this battery and if so what kind of run times can I expect from it? Also can I just cut that connector off the battery and change it to anything? If so what is the better connector to use?
TowerHobbies.com | Associated Reedy NiMH 7.2V 1600mAh 4x2 Micro Pack

I am running on a budget so I have the Venom VSC 240 SC with a Venom 540 55T motor and a 9 tooth pinion. I dont need or want speed, she will only be crawling.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated and the sooner the better I wanna run this thing!!!
MudChicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 09:17 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: battery help

I'd say no, you can't run that battery. That battery is too small to run a truck off of. If nimh and cheap is what your looking for check out duratrax onyx batteries or the towerhobbies brands. TowerHobbies.com | Tower Hobbies NiMH 6-Cell 7.2V 2000mAh Stick Standard
There is alot of choices out there.
Dualdigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #3
RCC Addict

IMO, nitro is more dangerous than Lipo's. Go lipo. Lipo's are lighter, more powerful, and cheaper. No reason not to do it.

Can a lipo catch fire? Yes. Never had it happen to me personally, and I've been messing with them for probably 8 years. Can a Nickel battery pop/explode? Yes, seen it happen personally.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:29 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualdigger View Post
I'd say no, you can't run that battery. That battery is too small to run a truck off of. If nimh and cheap is what your looking for check out duratrax onyx batteries or the towerhobbies brands. TowerHobbies.com | Tower Hobbies NiMH 6-Cell 7.2V 2000mAh Stick Standard
There is alot of choices out there.
+1.

The linked battery in the original thread is an RX pack:

This is the Associated NiMH 7.2V 1600mAh Flat Micro Receiver Battery Pack with Universal Connector.

FEATURES: Six high output 2/3A NiMH cells
Four cells placed side by side with two cells placed end to end

For the money, get something different. I would scope out www.CheapBatteryPacks.com and get NiMH (if that's what you really want) and you can order it with any connector on it.
You want a "sub-C" cell, NOT a 2/3A cell.
I order my NiMH & LiPO packs from CBP, decent pricing and the connectors I want all included.
Shipping is usually fast as well (order before noon Friday, have them home the following Monday for standard shipping-----coast to coast!)

As to connectors, Deans is the most common. I run Anderson PowerPoles/Sermos connectors.

Long term, most of us will recommend going LiPO. It's a lot smaller, lots more overall power and cheaper.

Last edited by Charlie-III; 10-27-2012 at 11:05 AM.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 10:51 AM   #5
Proverbial threadkiller

These are probably the favorite NiMh/NiCad that I've used in my crawler. Not much voltage, so speeds will be pretty slow, but with your combo, you should be able to get right around a half hour of run time.

If you can't run a stick pack and/or want to run saddle packs, I've seen those at TCS Crawlers, or you could order from cheapbatterypacks.com and choose the layout and connector you want to run.

And no matter which battery you get, you can change the connector out. All you'd need to do is keep the polarity correct and you'll be fine. Dean's seem to be the most popular, I run Traxxas connectors on mine. While searching for connectors you like, also search Sermos Power Poles, EC3, and XT60 (I think).
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote

battery help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery tray & battery options? Mysterious Axial XR10 10 02-18-2012 01:13 PM
UK Version please - LOSB0862 Battery Charger & Battery. newth Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 7 05-26-2010 01:38 AM
battery run time losi battery perez62682 Team Losi Comp Crawler 4 03-14-2010 08:22 PM
Finding bad battery cells in a battery pack. ToTheMAXXcrawler Electronics 9 02-04-2010 10:14 AM