Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Goat 2S in Brush Mode - Fried! WTF!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Angry Goat 2S in Brush Mode - Fried! WTF!

Hey all! I bought myself a Goat 2S ESC for my AX10 because it was capable of both brushless and brushed mode operation... I followed the installation instructions TO THE LETTER (just to be clear) and performed the One Touch Setup... Setup completed, the 55t Novak motor slowly turned forward on its own without any throttle input (trims all zeroed) and the ESC's blue, amber and red LEDs were all on solid. Once I touched the throttle, the motor stopped and the Lipo's wires caught Fire! In a panic I jerked the batt plug apart and threw the Lipo in the sink (hasn't exploded yet - gonna be going in the garbage soon)... I pulled the ESC apart to see what melted - found two of the FETs under the heatsink had popped ! Been going through Novak's site, as well as anything Google coughed up but no real help can be found anywhere... It seems the brushed mode setup is rather obscure - seemingly no one has used this ESC in this manner... Does anyone out there have an idea as to what could've gone wrong? Not sure if i got a defective ESC, or if it was something I did... Any info would be appreciated!

Here is a shot of the two fried FETs...

The setup - Red Power to motor positive, all three brushless leads to motor negative...

Melted Lipo leads (18 ga wire literally Exploded - luckily I got it unplugged quickly!)

Last edited by SpeedyG; 10-27-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: add pics
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 10-27-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
dkf
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Goat 2S in Brush Mode - Fried! WTF!

Send it to Novak and see what they say.

One way you could look at it is now you can upgrade to an ESC with 21st century technology vs being stuck back in the 20th with Novak.
dkf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Well, i bought this esc in an attempt to save money, but as i have recently discovered, my own dumbass self needs to do more research so that my frugalness is not in vain...

Did some more reading with regards to the Goat 2S and the XBR Sport (which is the box this ESC came in, and to my surprise, those were the instructions i followed with regards to setup and installation)...

Altho the Goat and XBR are IDENTICAL in appearance (case, heatsink, wiring, sensor plug, LEDs), apparently the internal circuitry is not... Brushed mode with the Goat requires the use of the Yellow and Blue wires only(yellow positive, blue negative), XBR requires the setup i used (red from battery to positive, all three BL phases to negative). Because of the packaging mix-up, I used the wrong instructions and cooked it.

Now for the good news - while trying to figure out if anything was interchangeable between my old Rooster (which I thought was toast as well) and the Goat, i.e. FET board (totally different btw), I hooked up the Rooster to a lipo and turned it on just for the hell of it - and it works! Before today the red LED wouldn't even light up, which is why I removed it and bought the Goat... I guess it maybe had enough time to dry out while sitting in pieces on the bench (took it apart 6 months ago). Go figure Good thing i only paid $65 for the Goat... Kind of a waste, but oh well, live and learn...
SpeedyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 11:11 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Tell Novak to give your money back anyways, it was an honest mistake on your part when the directions in the box were the wrong ones. I am assuming of course that you bought it new.
SMR 510RR is offline   Reply With Quote

Goat 2S in Brush Mode - Fried! WTF! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
fried novak goat 2s 21.5t sensored brushless. lagz2point0 Axial Wraith 7 09-05-2011 06:03 PM
wtf losi micro with dig and 4ws wtf richardgarrett56 Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 15 07-21-2010 04:47 AM
To brush or not to Brush that is the question Happy_trucker Newbie General 9 05-25-2009 01:55 AM
dx6i Mode 1 vs mode 2.... syber70 Electronics 1 03-12-2009 12:41 PM
fried rx=fried crystal too? pantablo Electronics 0 07-16-2008 02:46 PM