Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Several questions about wiring....

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #1

Default Several questions about wiring....

I am new to electric, new to crawlers but not new to RC. I will be wiring up my XR10 soon and have some questions, I have searched on the forum and google but I don't really know what words to use to find what I'm looking for.

First what is the best place to buy wire, bullet connectors, plugs, shrink wrap etc? A place that carries it all! I know hobbypartz.com and hobbyking both have some of each but I like to try and get similar items all from one place.

I know direct wiring is the best way to go but for the time being I want to be able to disconnect things until I get the crawler sorted out. I am assuming bullet connectors would be the best (3 or 4mm castle type stuff) but when wiring the motors what if I used solid wire and put spades on the ends connecting to the motor?

Deans plugs...Well I have heard both good and bad about them. I ordered a set of 10 for now. Besides dean plugs, traxxas plugs and banana plugs what else is out there that is possibly better?

Thanks for any help guys,
override
override is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2012, 11:27 PM   #2
Proverbial threadkiller

Default Re: Several questions about wiring....

Quote:
Originally Posted by override View Post
........... I have searched on the forum and google but I don't really know what words to use to find what I'm looking for.......... First what is the best place to buy wire, bullet connectors, plugs, shrink wrap etc? A place that carries it all! I know hobbypartz.com and hobbyking both have some of each but I like to try and get similar items all from one place.

If it were me, I'd look for all that kind of stuff at Tower Hobbies, especially if you're looking to get as many RC products from one place as you can. I've also bought from allelectronics.com, but they're more of a closeout place, not really catering to RC stuff, so you really need to know what you're looking for.

I know direct wiring is the best way to go but for the time being I want to be able to disconnect things until I get the crawler sorted out. I am assuming bullet connectors would be the best (3 or 4mm castle type stuff)

Tower should have a nice selection of both Castle items. Also look under Deans, Novak, and maybe ElectriFly. Or just enter 4mm bullet connectors in Tower's search box, see what comes up. Or 'wet noodle wire', whatever.

but when wiring the motors what if I used solid wire and put spades on the ends connecting to the motor?

No. Well, it'd work, but no. Solid wire is better at handling high voltage / lower amperage loads. I would HIGHLY recommend sticking with stranded wire for power handling in your RCs.

Deans plugs...Well I have heard both good and bad about them. I ordered a set of 10 for now. Besides dean plugs, traxxas plugs and banana plugs what else is out there that is possibly better?

EC3, XT-60, Sermos / Anderson Power Poles
That should be enough keywords to get you searching, enjoy.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:48 AM   #3

horizonhobbies.com is the biggiest destributer. deans makes great wire called "wet noodle", there is nothing wrong with using a deans inbetween your motor and esc. as far as shink and soldering stuff check out radio shack or horizon again. novak sells great shrink. no solid wire.. none and no spades.
tunnalram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 AM   #4

Thanks trubble and tunnalram for the help

One more question of the top of my head....I used to do a lot of custom mods and repairs on old gaming systems and silver bearing solder with a no clean liquid flux was the best I found for a clean connection between electrical joints. What is the choice of solder for you guys when wiring up all this stuff?
Old 11-10-2012, 06:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I use a Harris cadmium free silver solder for all my connections with a no name no clean liquid flux. Ive been watching the build on RCNT. Your old man is a lucky guy!!
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:55 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

I've always used rosin core 60/40 solder for my rc electronics

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:59 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phins Fan View Post
I use a Harris cadmium free silver solder for all my connections with a no name no clean liquid flux. Ive been watching the build on RCNT. Your old man is a lucky guy!!
Hey man whats up?! Yeah this build is taking a lot longer than I expected. I keep needing parts that I don't have. lol

I expect, if everything goes smooth from here on out, that I should have the build done by the middle of next month before I go back to work again. Just in time for christmas

Thanks for the info on the solder, sounds like all my old soldering gear should be just fine! I have a nice, but OLD, digital soldering station. Now if I can only find out what tips I need as my old chisel tip is just about dead.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:38 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Good advice so far. For bullet connectors I use 4mm gold plated from great planes they are available at tower, horizon hobby, ckrccrawlers etc. I've had good luck with harbor freight shrink tube and my favorite solder is deans.
WHITE-TRASH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 03:37 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by override View Post
Thanks for the info on the solder, sounds like all my old soldering gear should be just fine! I have a nice, but OLD, digital soldering station. Now if I can only find out what tips I need as my old chisel tip is just about dead.
Considering Im still using my 60W Hobicco soldering stick an old digital station should suit you just fine for your needs
Phins Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 05:06 PM   #10

Thanks a lot guys for the advice! I will get the build thread started over here when I get some time.

Several questions about wiring.... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Castle wiring questions zjguy721 Electronics 9 03-12-2011 11:18 PM
New to Crawling, have some wiring questions eddiepfund Newbie General 2 09-23-2010 01:22 AM
LED wiring questions? JavelinSST390 Electronics 3 11-11-2007 11:41 PM
ESC / Servo / BEC Wiring Questions??? RCholic Electronics 1 09-18-2007 06:11 AM
winch wiring questions mudrinner4ever Electronics 2 06-21-2006 10:29 AM