RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Electronics (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/)
-   -   brushless esc???? (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/electronics/412432-brushless-esc.html)

FATBOYrs10 11-11-2012 10:29 PM

brushless esc????

i currently have a 2wd project in the works that i'm gonna run a castle creations CM36 7,700kv sensorless motor in. i will not, at all be needin reverse or braking in this project.

so with that said, my ??? is could i use a 60A airplane/boat esc with this motor?

this rig will only be ran for about 10 seconds max at a time, but at full throttle with atleast 30-45 minutes between runs.

Duuuuuuuude 11-11-2012 10:33 PM

Re: brushless esc????

I wouldn't try it.

FATBOYrs10 11-12-2012 04:16 AM

ok, why not? i'm askin becuase i honestly don't know. is it just that the amp rating is not large enuff, or will it not work no matter what the amp rating is?

Duuuuuuuude 11-12-2012 07:52 AM

Amp rating. You haven't said what vehicle this was going to go in, how it was geared, its weight, etc etc etc. All are important things to consider when setting up the esc and motor.

FATBOYrs10 11-12-2012 08:12 AM

ok, i'm building a 2wd pulling truck. the rear axle is a modded tamiya highlift and will be running stock, but cut, tlt tires/wheels. it doesn't actually have a trans sorta speak. i have a hub mounted directly on the axle pinion with a 72tooth 32p spur gear, and the pinions will range between 6-12 tooth, depending on track conditions.

and as i stated before, these runs will only last a few seconds-10seconds at most.

Duuuuuuuude 11-12-2012 08:15 AM

It may only be a few seconds, but its a few seconds of a very heavy load. You could try a 60 esc, but you'll really be pushing it. If it were me I would go find something more capable and not have to worry about it.

FATBOYrs10 11-12-2012 08:18 AM

ok, so to answer my ??? fully then, you're sayin that it'll work, i just might oughta use one with a higher amp rating. correct?

Duuuuuuuude 11-12-2012 08:21 AM

It will "work", but I doubt for very long. Your best bet would to go find a pulling site and see what they are running. That should give you an idea of the amp loads you'll be seeing so you can build accordingly.

majatra 11-13-2012 06:45 PM

Airplane ESCs typically have a softer start than car/truck ESCs, so you won't get that same punch off the line.
Plus, that's a lot of kv for an offroad application like pulling.
For a 60amp car ESC in an offroad truck, most manufacturers recommend 8.5T max, or about 4500kv or less. And 5.5T or about 6000kv for 120amp ESCs.

Meatwad 11-13-2012 10:09 PM

Agreed, most air/water esc's have a soft start built in. Car esc's have peak startup taken into account, some programmable. As well as some of the amp ratings inflated with air esc's being that better ones will have a cfm rating for airflow needed to pass along the heatsink.

I learned this the hard way. They can be used but don't be surprised if things possibly act weird or startup sucks.