Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Brushed Vs Brushless in a crawler

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-13-2012, 01:27 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Brushed Vs Brushless in a crawler

I've been running a SV2 in my crawler with a Novak RockStar 35t motor and have been happy with it. Recently I rebuilt my rig and like a rookie put a screw into the bottom of the esc and fried it. I'll be honest, I know nothing about brushless setups. I do have a sensored brushless Novak Crawler motor sitting on the shelf also.

Should I get a HH BRXL for $68 with the TCS sale or a MMP for ~$115?

Is it worth the $35 more to go brushless or will I not notice the difference running a 8lb, 2.2 tube crawler?
bbaxter51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2012, 02:41 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Brushed Vs Brushless in a crawler

I panicked and bought the BRXL for $68. I'd still like to know if the difference is worth it though.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:42 PM   #3
RCC Addict

You may or may not notice a real difference, depending on which BL motor it is, but I think it's a shame not to put that BL motor to use.

What motor is it? "Silver can" or Ballistic? T value?
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olle P View Post
You may or may not notice a real difference, depending on which BL motor it is, but I think it's a shame not to put that BL motor to use.

What motor is it? "Silver can" or Ballistic? T value?
Silver can. I can probably cancel my order.. They have the Goat Brushless Crawler esc on sale for $85 too. I only have 2s batteries so the limitation doesn't bother me.

https://www.tcscrawlers.com/On-Sale-...9-p-16651.html

Not sure on the T value, but it looks like this if that helps.

Last edited by bbaxter51; 11-13-2012 at 03:00 PM. Reason: pics
Old 11-13-2012, 03:25 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbaxter51 View Post
I've been running a SV2 in my crawler with a Novak RockStar 35t motor and have been happy with it. Recently I rebuilt my rig and like a rookie put a screw into the bottom of the esc and fried it. I'll be honest, I know nothing about brushless setups. I do have a sensored brushless Novak Crawler motor sitting on the shelf also.

Should I get a HH BRXL for $68 with the TCS sale or a MMP for ~$115?

Is it worth the $35 more to go brushless or will I not notice the difference running a 8lb, 2.2 tube crawler?
I have a 11 pound tube KOH rig and I highly recommend brushed. Mainly due to the fact that even sensored brushless motors don't have that low end grunt and smoothness that is found in a quality handwound especially a 550 sized one like the one I'm running on 4s. Now if you want some awesome wheel speed sensored brushless would be awesome. If you want that rock bouncing slinging pebbles action then handwound would be it.

Check my build thread in my sig. MMP is just too big to fit somewere nicely but I guess you could remove the fan. I'd rather not mess with it the BRXL is by far my favorite ESC.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:31 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexchen86 View Post
I have a 11 pound tube KOH rig and I highly recommend brushed. Mainly due to the fact that even sensored brushless motors don't have that low end grunt and smoothness that is found in a quality handwound especially a 550 sized one like the one I'm running on 4s. Now if you want some awesome wheel speed sensored brushless would be awesome. If you want that rock bouncing slinging pebbles action then handwound would be it.

Check my build thread in my sig. MMP is just too big to fit somewere nicely but I guess you could remove the fan. I'd rather not mess with it the BRXL is by far my favorite ESC.

That's great to know, I think my current tuber will be close to 9+lbs fully dressed. I put a BRXL in another rig and really liked it. I'm glad to hear so many people like it, especially for heavy rigs. Thanks
Old 11-13-2012, 04:32 PM   #7
I wanna be Dave

For hardcore brushed guys, the startup of sensored brushless could be an issue. I don't mind the startup much myself, mmp/pro4 and rs/nokak 17.5ss are my experiences. My issues were susceptibility to water damage. Although still dunk the waterproofed mmp/pro4 now and then without issue. Brushed has less wiring as well, that can be a plus when real estate is at a premium.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:23 PM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Speaking of dunking I haven't been mudding or submerging my trucks in quite a while....but if that's something you normally do I found that if I take a 1/10 nitro outer filter and put it around a 540 or 550 can it works wonders catching all the little dirt that's in the water and mud. Plus it's cheaper than Outerwears electric motor covers lol.
alexchen86 is offline   Reply With Quote

Brushed Vs Brushless in a crawler - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
brushed or brushless in a scale crawler? milestone Electronics 1 02-29-2012 10:54 PM
Novak Releases "The Goat" brushed/brushless esc and sintered brushless motor Rockpiledriver Electronics 70 09-26-2007 05:59 PM