LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2012, 10:02 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Motor runs faster in reverse than forward

Ok - it's a Wraith build.
Mamba Max Pro
Novak 540 Ballistic brushless 13.5 motor
AR60 axles all VP'ed out and Axial hardened gears
Typical wiring for this setup. When the motor runs in a forward direction it is going slower than when it's in reverse.

Ok - do I need to mess with the timing bell to advance it for more speed in one direction?
Do I swap the axles so that the drive gears are now working the other direction and then reverse the trigger direction for the motor and then have it working forward in the fast direction?

What is going on with the setup? Ideas anyone? Thanks!

Last edited by Fumbles; 11-17-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Motor runs faster in reverse that forward

id like to know myself, mine has alway did the same thing, i thought it was my motor
King James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 07:09 AM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Motor runs faster in reverse than forward

This thread may help you reverse rotation motor?
If your Wraith is a reverse rotation model, you'll either need to swap the diffs out or reverse the motor rotation.
Since you are running brushless, and I assume sensored (MMP & Novak) then don't switch the motor leads but instead use a Castlelink. And check the endbell timing of your motor as it will have some built in that you will want to remove.
majatra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

So I posted this on the thread link you sent to me. Thanks!!!

Ok - so I'm having the same problem with my Wraith that's been stick built. Here are pics of it.
I checked and the rotation of the motor is CCW when looking at it from the pinion end. The Mamba Max green light is on when selecting forward on the trigger (the Futaba 4PL has "reverse" selected on the rev trigger function).

From what I've been reading I need to swap the axles (front to back) as I want the "ARB" diff cover to be reading upright. (I could swap the diff ring inside the axle but then the ARB housing would read upside down.

Am I correct in what I see my only option as being to correct this as the motor faster in reverse than in forward ???

Fumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

thats crazyness... I have had the same issue as you on multiple occasions, and always resolved it, one thing to try is to turn the truck off, turn radio on, reverse the throttle on your transmitter, and recalibrate the ESC with the radio (hold throttle with the truck off, transmitter on, keep holding throttle until 2 separate series of beeps, then full reverse, after 1 set of beeps let it go to neutral, 2 more sets of beeps and everything should be fixed
matt889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:26 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

If what I said above doesn't work then switch the "A" and "C" wires on the motor, the B (middle) wire is the ground, A and C are the power going into the motor, so reverse these ONLY if the above steps mentioned dont work first, and then try the above steps all over again with the motor plugged in the reversed way, (Start with the Transmitter in the original state you had it in before the above steps and recalibrate, then reverse throttle and recalibrate again if it didn't work the 1st time, one of these tinkers should get ya goin properly)
matt889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2014, 08:34 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Matt889, are those fixes standard for all escs? My friend has a new redcat rs 10 that has the slow forward fast reverse issue.

I just reveresed the tranny in my losi trail trekker to put the motor weight in front. One of the suggested tweaks. Now it uses rvs for fwd and is slower in fwd than reverse. I will just reinstall the tranny in its correct orientation and all will be good.

It hadnt occurred to me and I didnt notice rcs go slower in reverse since its the same gearing I suppose the esc might have a different draw or whatever in fwd and rvs.

It seems a bit odd to me since I imagine you want the same amount of power in reverse in a crawler.
davemud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2014, 01:58 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by davemud View Post
... a new redcat rs 10 that has the slow forward fast reverse issue.
Seems like an issue with ESC calibration and/or transmitter throttle trim.

It's definitely NOT due to motor or gearing.
Olle P is offline   Reply With Quote

Motor runs faster in reverse than forward - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
faster in reverse than forward dirtymike Electronics 9 11-09-2012 07:38 PM
Fast Forward, Faster Reverse dAng! XJ Axial Wraith 17 01-13-2012 08:20 PM
reverse is faster than forward wassaakk Newbie General 6 07-01-2010 07:22 PM
WK runs faster in Reverse than Forward? HUH?! JavelinSST390 HPI Wheely King 7 08-31-2007 07:14 AM