Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: AE-1 Loosing throttle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2012, 08:39 AM   #1

Default AE-1 Loosing throttle

Ok, so I bought a brand new Axial AE-1 ESC off eBay as a cheap esc for my "fun" crawler. As soon as I set it up, I started having issues where it would lose powers to the wheels. I would never lose steering though. The throttle would give no response. If I stop moving everything on the controller, it will go through the startup beeps again, and back in business for a few, till it happens again. I can only get it to shut down like this while actually running it. I can't recreate it by holding it or limiting tire spin or anything. I have shook the crap out of the esc and moved all the wires on the rig, no stop. I have used both my spektrum dx3c and my futaba 4pl, same problem from both. I have used the factory losi mini crawler motor and the upgraded mini crawler motor. It only seems to happen while on an incline, and doesn't give any warning. Sometimes it will happen when at full throttle, other times when just starting to accelerate. I am wanting to fix it if possible. Does anyone know what part of the esc would be the issue. This is almost identical to what is happening in my traxxas slash with a venom esc as well, so was thinking it might be a common part like a capacitor or something. Any help would be very appreciated.
Jerny is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2012, 09:48 AM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: AE-1 Loosing throttle

What battery are you using (chemistry, voltage, etc)?
What battery connectors are you using (hopefully NOT Tamiya)?
Is the LVC set in the ESC?
If the LVC is set, is it set correctly?
What servo are you using?
If your servo is over ~200inoz, are you running an external BEC?
If you are running an external BEC, is it through the RX or direct to the servo?

Sounds like the ESC is shutting down due to heat or "low voltage". Low voltage can be a bad connection or an incorrectly set LVC which shuts down the ESC but leaves the servo working.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 09:56 AM   #3
Proverbial threadkiller

Are you trying to use a 7 cell NiMh or a 3S LiPo on this ESC? 'Cause it sounds exactly like what happened when I did that to mine. The internal BEC isn't all that strong and is probably being overdrawn. An external BEC fixed that right up, and I finished off the comp season last year on 3S.

I pulled the red wire from the ESC's connector (at the receiver) and plugged my BEC into an open slot on the receiver, works fine.

Others have reported connecting their BEC to a bypass adapter (check Holmes Hobbies or CreationFab) so the BEC runs the servo direct, and the ESC will still feed the receiver.

What battery, and servo are you running? Lights? Any other electrical draw? (winch, 4WS, etc)
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:04 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Try a bec...
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 10:04 AM   #5

Sorry about the lack of information, I am using a 6 cell Nimh 1100 mah, 7.4 volt battery. It is the factory mini rock crawler battery. I am using three different batteries. The esc does not have a switch to even change settings. It does not have any settings. The servo is the factory mini rock crawler servo. I am not sure the specs on it, but it is a plastic gear, so not thinking any issue with that one. I was using 4 wheel steering and burned up the factory mrc esc. So I bought the axial ae-1 to replace it cuz it was cheap. I am not running 4 wheel steering any more, so just one servo, that is a mini and the upgraded losi motor.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:16 AM   #6

So, figured out the problem for any who find this later. The motor was the problem. I was a mini T motor and didnt work with the AE-1 ESC. I figured it had to do with the number of turns on it.

AE-1 Loosing throttle - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tekin loosing juice drpuffmd Electronics 5 10-05-2011 06:57 PM
loosing throttle keithgemmill Electronics 4 08-22-2010 08:52 PM
loosing power 4x4wheelier General Crawlers 3 02-07-2009 11:27 AM
loosing that sickly green webdr Newbie General 29 12-29-2007 07:03 AM