Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Is my motor dying?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2012, 12:08 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Is my motor dying?

Hey all,
So I've had my losi trail trekker for about 8 months now, and it has been a a blast to crawl, mod,scale out, break, etc... Yesterday I went out for a backyard crawl and I noticed that my rig was kinda sluggish. By that I mean, slow wheel speed and loss of torque.
I run Lipo so I am used to a bit of punch. I thought it was maybe a battery issue. But I tested it on 3 different fully charged packs and no change. This may be simple, but is my motor dying? Or is there something else going on.
Forgive me, im learning here.
And here's a quick pic of my bronco beater. Thanks
Thanks

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
TekmoCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Is my motor dying?

if its a rebuidable motor , take it apart and check it.
could just be bad brushes or the com.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 01:02 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by crawlhog View Post
if its a rebuidable motor , take it apart and check it.
Could just be bad brushes or the comm.
+1.

What motor?

It could be as simple as the brushes are close to/actually are worn out. Replacing them is cheap, a comm cut and new brushes may be all that is needed.
It could also be a "sorta hung brush" (the brush braid/shunt is hung on the brush hood).

What motor? Brand & model.
Charlie-III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
I wanna be Dave

It could definitely be the motor is giving up. If so you need to get a new one there is no brush replacement for them or any micro motor because of size and they aren't rebuildablee

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, I figured it was something like that. I was first under the impression that when my motor was done it would just stop completely- not just start to crap out. I just schooled myself on brushed motors, so i'm better educated now. Problem should be resolved soon. I just ordered a DDT Predator 80T motor, and i'm stoked. should be a huge improvement.

Side note: I ended up taking out my tranny to do the flip mod I read about here. while doing that I pulled off my motor and spun it by hand a couple times, I noticed that in one direction it got stuck , like jammed or something. I kept twisting and it broke loose and spins freely. Put it back on and it runs better than it was before but now i'm getting a clicking type sound coming from the area.
not too concerned because I have another motor on the way, just experimenting. I also re soldered a new wire on the motor and I think I got it backwards because it goes faster in reverse.? Just total newbie stuff...
Thanks all, Love this forum !
T
Old 11-28-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

If you flip the transmission It will go faster in reverse due to the non adjustable timing built into the stock motor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
benoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Ah, I see. I ended up flipping the tranny back to stock position (unfortunately) after determining that the flip was the only cause for said effect.
I’m still a little confused though. I understand that the “tranny flip” mod is a popular mod for micro vehicles. If there is no way to adjust the motor; I’m assuming that everyone who did this mod also has a vehicle that is faster in reverse. Curious why no one else mentioned this in the Micro Mod thread? ( I also plan on posing this question in that thread).
Anyhow, thanks for the insight, I only own a Losi Trail Trekker & a Slash 4x4 vxl. So I’m not too familiar with 10th scale brushed motor maintenance.
Back on motors topic:
While I was impatiently waiting to receive my DDT Predator from DANALLY, I picked up a stock replacement motor and threw it in last night.
DAMN this thing is fast now, I could swear it is faster & torqier than it was new! For ten bucks, I don’t know what I was waiting for.
Now I will have a backup motor that I plan on putting a larger pinion on to have a little more of a “ rock racer” setup if I want.
I will be posting running vids and a thread for people to check out if they are curious about what more wheel speed looks like and if it performs as terrible as some people have logically assumed. Since I have not seen anything about this as of yet.
Maybe for good reason….?
ps: I know it uses worm drive and is not meant for speed and all of that yada yada...It just sounds like fun.
Thanks

Last edited by TekmoCrawl; 11-29-2012 at 04:32 PM. Reason: changes additions
Old 12-02-2012, 08:59 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B8Q3...YzRjNvNWc/edit
Old 12-02-2012, 10:25 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

BroncoMud1.jpg photo by Tekmo5 | Photobucket
TEST Pics are not working WTF,
All i get is a void error
Old 12-02-2012, 02:33 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

Try again

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
Attached Images

Is my motor dying? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dying nylon bigdog2 General Crawlers 2 05-22-2009 08:41 PM
For those who were dying to know.... FrankyRizzo Chit Chat 4 10-06-2008 09:08 PM
Dying aluminum?? Double J Tools, and Procedures 4 03-06-2006 04:23 PM
Dying Lexan? K_Willis Paint and Body 7 01-19-2006 08:43 PM