Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Right ESC and Lipo combo for my motor...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #1

Question Right ESC and Lipo combo for my motor...

Hey everyone, I am fairly new to the RC world and am finding all of this new technology with brushed and brushless and all the lipo stuff really confusing. I have even watched some videos and read some stuff but still am unsure about what I need here.

Firstly I have a Axial AX10 with a BRUSHED Novak 55T High Torque motor.... I currently run the stock Axial (older style) ESC and standard batteries (non lipo).

I am looking for some suggestions on what ESC and Lipo Size I should order from Ebay (no hobby stores near me so stuck buying online).

What ESC's should I be looking at and what size /spec lipos can I run in my crawler?

Right now the truck is dog ass slow and has that stupid doubble tap reverse which I want GONE.

If you guys can post some links or suggestions for me I would really appreciate it.... I have been racking my brain for 2 days but just before I click the buy button I start second guessing my desicion because of lack of knowledge in the field.

Thanks in advance!
Knuckle Buster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2012, 02:47 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Right ESC and Lipo combo for my motor...

What powers your SCX10?
jvella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 05:35 AM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Change your motor to if you want more speed. 55t is really low rpm per volt. 35t is a common middle ground for torque and wheelspeed
spillproof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 07:39 AM   #4

I didnt realize that about the motor.

By power do you mean the radio? I have a flysky 3chan fs-gt3c

If you mean power like battery i dont know.

I was hoping for some links to good combos.

I want to go lipo so a lipo size suggesion Would be nice to. All the numbers are confusing on the batteries.

What i want is my buggy to be good at low speed for technical crawling but be able to open it wide open if i need some wheel spin to get up something.

Thankd again guys and sorry for being such a noob.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:17 PM   #5

ttt anyone?
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

I run SPC lipos in my SCX10. I get about 3 - 4 hours run time out of a 2s 5000mah 25c lipo. I believe it was about $25 and you can order them from SPC's web site spcracing.com. It is a pretty big hard cased battery, but works really well. My electronics are all stock (axial 27t motor and axial ae-2 esc), but I do run a FlySky GT3B instead of the stock axial radio.
SmokeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
Proverbial threadkiller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckle Buster View Post
I was hoping for some links to good combos.

I want to go lipo so a lipo size suggesion Would be nice to.

What i want is my buggy to be good at low speed for technical crawling but be able to open it wide open if i need some wheel spin to get up something.
I started out with the same AE-1 & stock 55 turn combo you're at right now. Here's what I did in order.

Step 1: CC BEC, I was having brownouts with 7 cell (and above) nimh packs. Put in the BEC, pulled the red wire where the ESC plugs into the receiver, and ran the BEC into the batt slot on the receiver. Solved that problem.

Step 2: Ordered some 3S, 1300 mAh, 30C & 35C LiPos (and charging sacks) from ValueHobby out of IL. Modified a 2S LiPo low voltage alarm (that I had lying around) to work on 3S. Very nice bump in top speed.

Step 3: Installed a Castle Sidewinder Micro ESC. Kept the BEC on, but installed the ESC to gain a LiPo cutoff, and get rid of the reverse delay. It has gotten hot enough for the sticker to wad up and fall off, but I haven't noticed any burnt smell or excessive heat after any runs. (shrug)

Step 4: Stepped up and put in a Brood Apocalypse 35 turn Type S motor. Love that motor! Still butter-smooth down low, but has some rather explosive snap for gap jumping and such. You'll definitely learn the ins and outs of partial throttle control with this motor.
That's in my AX Scorpion, in my SCX I use a Holmes Torquemaster Pro, also a very good motor. I can heartly recommend either one.
Trubble is offline   Reply With Quote

Right ESC and Lipo combo for my motor... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tamiya TNX 5.2R to brushless electric lipo? recommendations on esc motor combo? bamr33 Non Crawler RC's 1 03-26-2012 10:45 AM
Choice for ESC or ESC motor combo fivepointnine98 Newbie General 10 07-05-2011 03:21 PM
looking for nimh or lipo for stock motor and fxr combo greenjeeper92 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 12-11-2009 01:31 PM
Holmes Motor/ESC/Lipo Combo SgtDoogie Electronics 4 05-08-2009 01:17 PM