Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: Antenna wire holder tech?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Antenna wire holder tech?

Right now I'm running my antenna wire for my RX like this:

I've seen lots of pictures of people doing this, so I figured it was okay. How much of a difference does this make compared to the convential antenna that most RC use which looks like this?

The main reason why I ask is I'm having some glitching problems and can't figure it out and I don't have a small piece of plastic tubing to mock the orignal type to test for a difference.....
4RnrRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Antenna wire holder tech?

Having it wrapped around something like that is generally OK for the closer driving we do with crawlers. However, the more vertical antenna length the better. You mentioned glitching, could you be more specific? what is being effected and how?
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 03:18 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth
You mentioned glitching, could you be more specific? what is being effected and how?
At times its just like your avatar! it will twitch the steering servos back and forth slightly and the ESC will try to engage forward and reverse. sometimes its worse than other times. It can happen at any times Parked or drving. If its parked and it happens, by driving it will sometimes smooth it out and other times it makes it doesn't effect it and it keeps twicthing. I do notice it more on a low main batteries but I've seen it happen on fully charaged batteries.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:21 PM   #4
Colt Python/SR9c

rick,

i have ran my antenna both ways and haven't noticed any difference. the only time mine acted like that was when the ant. was touching the metal frame. also, mine acted real stupid before i put the caps on my lathe motor also. did you ever put caps on yours? i know you shouldn't need caps for a lathe motor, but ya never know it could help
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:21 PM   #5
I wanna be Dave

For the twitching; make sure any and ALL wires are not touching anything but their insulation ;) You might have better luck w/ your antenna up, as it is guaranteed to not be touching anything, and will be further from your power wires.

Full batteries in your radio is a MUST! try running one battery and see if that helps your twitching any. And if you don't have caps on the motors.. get em!
SR5Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 04:44 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Yes, new batteries I have in the radio,

Yes, I have caps on both motors now,

Yes, I tried one battery, no difference.

Like I said it doesn't do it all the time so its hard to trouble shoot but it does do it often.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:03 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

OK, are your wires from the servo and esc going near the motor or battery wires? Are you using servo extensions? If you are, re-route the wires so they are as far from the motor wires as possible. Are there motor or battery wires near the receiver? Another option is to twist the servo + ESC wires tightly so they look like a telephone cord, this will help cancel out some RF noise.
Bsmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

i noticed your running tamiya style plugs.they have tendancies to become lose and may make simular problem.with the entenna under the body will shorten range a bit.try extending the entenna out side the body or even try to place it up closer to the body to get it away from any metel or wires.
SPEED_RACER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 05:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
Yes, new batteries I have in the radio,

Yes, I have caps on both motors now,

Yes, I tried one battery, no difference.

Like I said it doesn't do it all the time so its hard to trouble shoot but it does do it often.
I'm glad one battery didn't change anything. That makes me even more sure that the SR is fine.

Run your rig in TOTAL darkness and just fawking FLOOR IT, slam it from forward to reverse, etc. Watch for arcs anywhere. If you see arcs from anywhere except inside the motors, thats your problem. If the motor arcs in synch with the glitches, I'd suggest breaking the motor in on less voltage. (Do the underwater on 7.2V trick).
Old 01-04-2005, 06:01 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

BSmooth, I cant read posts with your fat kid avatar (not that there is anything wrong with being a fat kid) could you slow him down a bit, maybe take away the red koolade
jtothec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2005, 06:49 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bsmooth
are your wires .......? Are you using ......? If you are, re-route the wires ........ Are there ........?
This is a picture of my rig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
If the motor arcs in synch with the glitches, I'd suggest breaking the motor in on less voltage. (Do the underwater on 7.2V trick).
Breaking the motor in..... WTF are you talking about? remember I'm a Noob here in RC land. Serious is there a procedure for that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtothec
BSmooth, I cant read posts with your fat kid avatar .........
I second that !
Old 01-04-2005, 08:08 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR5Dave
Run your rig in TOTAL darkness and just fawking FLOOR IT, slam it from forward to reverse, etc. Watch for arcs anywhere.
Sweet that worked - I found that one of my capacitors that I solder on was really close to another one and I think it was arcing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEED_RACER
i noticed your running tamiya style plugs.they have tendancies to become lose and may make simular problem.
Just found one bad connection so I guess I'm just going to solder all the connections tight.
Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4RnrRick
Sweet that worked - I found that one of my capacitors that I solder on was really close to another one and I think it was arcing...
Awesome! Did that fix it?

Breaking in the motor: Pull your motors out, plug them into a 7.2V pack, and run it underwater until it stops spewing out crud (no more than 1-2 minutes I'd imagine). And no, water won't hurt a thing ;) (I can't remember how many volts until things arc under water, but its like 25+) So RC motors are fine underwater What this does is it lets the brushes on the motor get ground down so they make full contact to the comm (thing brushes ride on)
Old 01-05-2005, 08:34 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Only time will tell if it fixed it since it doesn't do it all the time.

Thanks fo the motor break-in procedure. I never heard of that........ something else for the "FAQ for RC dummies" .....
Old 01-05-2005, 09:26 AM   #15
Colt Python/SR9c

8O damn dave, never heard of the underwater trick either. and here i try to stay away from water
TwistedCreations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:42 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedCreations
8O damn dave, never heard of the underwater trick either. and here i try to stay away from water
Its the crud in water that screws things up! ;) Water itself is fine