Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > RCCrawler General Tech > Electronics

Notices

Thread: value waterproof brushelss for foff out there?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
I joined the Band!

Default value waterproof brushelss for foff out there?

so i went through the FOFF section and looked at the pics thread.. looked at the motor/esc combo for who put theirs in..

i thought i remembered someone said run around a 3000kv motor.. but everyone is 4600 -5700kv???

anyway .. i started googling to see what peoples choices were running to get an idea... i have $125.. and that includes shipping!!!! and cant find anything really out there..

im finding $150 for the traxxas vxl (waterproof) to the CC kits up to $220!!!!!

shall i just keep socking money away to play with the big boys or is really the traxxas the entry kit into the brushless waterproof kits? (doesnt have to be waterproof)...

trying to get an idea...
thanks!
RootBreaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: value waterproof brushelss for foff out there?

A while back, I bought a used VXL esc and motor for I think $90 shipped... in fact, you should be able to find a CC system used for less than $150.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #3
I joined the Band!

^^^ ok guess ill try and get more cash up and after xmas keep my eyes on ebay and the fs forum... so please keep this between us!!!! HAHAHAHAAA..

i do have a few more bucks but that im hoping for either a 35t hand wound or towards a trekker
Old 12-18-2012, 10:24 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

The turnigy trackstar esc's are nice and the motors are STRONG!
They are also really affordable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 10:27 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

CKRCcrawlers.com has the mamba max pro for ~$107 usually. If you are on the east coast, shipping can be high. I've never messed with the go fast brushless motors, only the crawler types. CKRC has Novak 18.5T BL motor for $75 too. Maybe see what they have as far as a go fast motor. If you're trying to do it on the cheap, search or ask around about the turnigy motors on hobbyking.com. It certainly won't be top quality but they work well from what I've read people say. They have way too many different motors for me to even know what to buy when I look. You'll have to ask people or maybe you know the specs and what's what.

If you're going for brushless waterproof the Traxxas ESC is the main one I know of that is waterproof. I do think there is a Venom one too, but I've not heard any feedback on it. I recently encapsulated my MMP in potting epoxy and it works good on the bench. I need to abuse it to see about heat issues.

All the best!
hibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I don't remember what my castle sv2 cost but it was super easy to waterproof with some liquid tape. I just run a cheap brushless hobbywing motor when I'm thrashing it (brushless motors don't need to be waterproofed unless they are sensored which the vxl system isn't).
BubbaEinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
RCC Addict

You could buy this:
TowerHobbies.com | Duratrax 1/10 Element 3900kV Brushless System
For $129.99 use the tower code 010AA to take $10 off.
Get in touch with someone who has some corrosion X or put it in a small sealed box to keep most of the water off.

I was running this combo on 2s in my FOFF. But I wasn't trying to water skip. I was more in to having the torque on demand so I could keep the tires spinning.
Right now I have that motor and SC in my wraith, and geared down a little it pulls on hill climbs like crazy..

Hope this helps.
bigstu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #8
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Nuts View Post
The turnigy trackstar esc's are nice and the motors are STRONG!
They are also really affordable

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747
considered your thought on this..

and i bought one..
i got this one..

Turnigy TrackStar Waterproof 1/10 Brushless Power System 3520KV/80A
Turnigy TrackStar Waterproof 1/10 Brushless Power System 3520KV/80A

since im new to this didnt know you can buy the programming card.. guess ill need to do that..

got it yesterday.. put it in tonight..
my foff is moving!!!!!!!!!

i was concerned on lipo cutoff and all that stuff but seems after reading.. it senses the battery cell count, auto cutoff, etc default.. so for now it is ok..
only thing is maybe programming will fix this but i cant go slow.. it wants to go 1/4-1/5th throttle off the bat.. but hey it is a foff...

i started with stock spur (scx-10 based rig and never looked at spur size so not sure how big) but 16t pinion.. wasnt too impressed.. yes it moves.. and goes... but i put a 20t in it and wow it zips way better!!!!!!!!!!!

got to mount my lid then i will have to take it out...

we are heading to north carolina, corolla as my wifes g-mom passed so we have to attend the funeral. Well i will be at the beach so cold sand but gonna test this out....

is 3520kv a good size for what im going after? or should i go more to a 3000kv or so?
Old 01-06-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Those two kvs are so close I wouldn't bother changing. You shouldn't gear for speed but for temp. , don't get the motor over 200 or if you can't hold your finger on it for 3 seconds its to hot. I'd run a 14-16t pinion and run it on 3 cells to get the wheelspeed your after.
dusty husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty husky View Post
Those two kvs are so close I wouldn't bother changing. You shouldn't gear for speed but for temp. , don't get the motor over 200 or if you can't hold your finger on it for 3 seconds its to hot. I'd run a 14-16t pinion and run it on 3 cells to get the wheelspeed your after.
had a 20t in there until i lost it (stripped allen wrench.. ) so put a 16t in it and borrowed an allen.. got to buy new ones..

wow what a difference between 20t and 16t.. i figured 4t.. what real difference could there be and WOW...
Old 01-07-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

I've been seeing alot of folks go with these low amp ESC's. Why is that. You were thinking a VXL system, which is a 320 amp ESC, IIRC. and dropped down to a 100 amp ESC.

This prolly isnt the place for it, but I've been getting more and more curious about it.
MotoMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:36 PM   #12

Go on amazon.com. They have lots of castle creation motor sv2 esc combos for under 125.00. The traxxas veilion system is 112.99
MADDOGC5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:01 PM   #13
I joined the Band!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoMudder View Post
I've been seeing alot of folks go with these low amp ESC's. Why is that. You were thinking a VXL system, which is a 320 amp ESC, IIRC. and dropped down to a 100 amp ESC.

This prolly isnt the place for it, but I've been getting more and more curious about it.
it was a ... to get her running for now deal.. i am new to all of this let alone brushless..

to me.. if your esc is capapble of 320 amps but you never go over 100amps.. why not just use a 100amp?

now with that said.. i do not know what im talking about!!!

for $65 im up and running.. can focus on getting body mounted, buying other things and if someone can clearly tell me that a higher amp esc benefits are then im all ears... this thing runs nice, is waterproof, and i dont comp so not like i need a certain setup ....

i was thinking a vxl system only because it was the cheapest waterproof setup i could find... but i found one other.. so gonna give it a try.. when it poofs.. i will pony up more... but till then it has to prove me that it isnt worth it..
Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Yea, Im no expert. And in my mind, your correct. if ya never go over 100 amps, there's no point in having a higher amp ESC.

I know what amps are, and how they play along with voltage. So I'd say the only benefit would be if you had a battery to supply the extra amperage(?)
With that theory, if you had said high c rated battery and a lower amp ESC, something should be at risk of frying.

Hope someone can chime in on this, Im just spouting hypothesis. and the more I think about it, the harder my head hurts :/
MotoMudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:44 PM   #15
I joined the Band!

installed and I dont think the 56/16 32 pitch is faster than the 87/20 48 pitch...

i definitely need to get a programmer for my esc cuz it is full brake.. no coasting.. so front endo's and also she flips easy side by side......

value waterproof brushelss for foff out there? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
where the Foff am I gonna foff build ctrwannabe Formula Offroad 8 11-30-2012 07:37 PM
Waterproof servos...NOT so waterproof! durwank Traxxas Crawlers 17 02-08-2012 11:09 PM
FOFF what the F@#& is an FOFF hpirick Florida 15 11-07-2011 08:36 PM